Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recommend a sunscreen for airshows.

trying to avoid chemicals as much as i can but how are "natural" sunscreens nowadays?

02-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
trying to avoid chemicals as much as i can but how are "natural" sunscreens nowadays?
I haven't torture-tested this stuff extensively, but I have some.. 'Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer SPF 70' stuff (I'm pretty darn sun-sensitive) It's pretty inoffensive, compared to the likes of Bullfrog.

Claims to do all the same things, and it seems to work pretty well, from a couple of tests. I generally use clothes to cover up for the limited exposure I get: if I get caught out in the sun, it's usually unexpected, but for something like an air show or other unavoidable extensive exposure, I'd be willing to give it a go, I think.
02-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't particularly like sunscreen and burn fairly quickly even if I do use it so I generally go for lightweight long sleeved rayon or cotton shirts and long pants. If I know that I'll be out in direct sun all day shooting something like an airshow I'll also bring a wide brimmed hat and a pair of light weight leather palmed BMX gloves so I don't burn the back of my hands.
02-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Damn Brit

UV protective clothing and a good hat. The danger of using sunscreen is that potentially you can get it on your camera and lenses.

02-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
We use only organic or natural products and they work quite as good as synthetic stuff. Usually Weleda, sometimes Lavera (Laverana), but I don't know, whether this is available in the US.

Ben
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
UV protective clothing and a good hat. The danger of using sunscreen is that potentially you can get it on your camera and lenses.
The stuff I mentioned isn't so terribly-greasy, but you must wash your hands after applying it, still. After applying it all, you scrub your hands, then put a dab about behind where the backs of your wrists cross, and rub the backs of your hands together. It's like a lotion.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-03-2010 at 06:19 PM.