Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think Paparazzi's are Photographers/Photojournalists?
Yes 1526.79%
No 23.57%
Yes, but I don't agree with what they do. 2239.29%
No, they are just low-lifes holding cameras. Not Photographers. 2035.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lol some of the things that come out of their mouth are just ridiculously funny, but at the same time it's all pretty messed up, especially the broken mirror on Alba's ride. Here's one with Kanye West breaking a camera and some lenses.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4r75ERMR4c[/YT]

Last edited by LeDave; 02-05-2010 at 04:49 PM.
02-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #32
Damn Brit

Any person with a camera is a photographer.

As for paparazzi and celebrities, they are indelibly linked and need each other. Celebrities are unhappy about them sometimes but they are equally unhappy when their face isn't in the media because less exposure means less popularity means less work.
02-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There are some very good photographers among them. Even the Nazi's had some good photographers.
I still think, though, the best one is the one Alfred Eisenstadt (who was Jewish) took of Goebbels.

Beats the shit outta all the Nazi photogs.
02-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #34
Damn Brit

Has anyone else noticed that all four options in the poll can be voted for?

02-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Shit - did Adam farm the poll software out to Diebold?

Last edited by lithos; 02-06-2010 at 03:07 AM.
02-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Any person with a camera is a photographer.

As for paparazzi and celebrities, they are indelibly linked and need each other. Celebrities are unhappy about them sometimes but they are equally unhappy when their face isn't in the media because less exposure means less popularity means less work.
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make...

Mike
02-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make...

Mike
I can agree to both of these comments with the addition of the most important fact of all - both PAPARAZZI and celebrities would cease to exist at all if it were not for the support of the millions who purchase their products.

02-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
I can agree to both of these comments with the addition of the most important fact of all - both PAPARAZZI and celebrities would cease to exist at all if it were not for the support of the millions who purchase their products.
I agree with that totally The celebrities, regardless of their talent would not be celebrities w/o their "adoring public" and the paparazzi would not exist without the public who wants glimpses in to the human aspects of the celebrities lives.

In a way the public wants to see that the people that they hold up as greater than average are really not that different than themselves... This is the function that the paparrazzi serve and they do capitalize on it and make big bucks.

Mike
02-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #39
Veteran Member

From 1938:

Pretty morbid, the fashion of the era seems to have been jumpers - I've seen several 'news photos' of such, they especially liked women in skirts...

On this page, details of the Big Bertha telephoto Graflex rig - 70cm Carl Zeiss f/5 triplet, weighing 25 lbs.

The article continues on about the equipment used:
the guys on ground all used 4x5 Speed Graphics with f/4.5 lenses
"One of the most remarkable shots made with this equipment ... with a No. 2 bulb as the body passed the 6th floor, with lens set at f/4.5 and 1/200 second. Enlargement of less than 20 per cent of the negative area yielded a spectacular print in spite of the fact that the distance covered by the flash bulb was close to 100 feet."

"Movie men had their troubles too. ,,, the actual jump was filmed with De Vry and Eymo hand cameras with 100 foot magazines loaded with Du Pont XL.... After dark lighting was by means of magnesium flares which burn for three minutes at close to 75,000 candlepower. Half a dozen of these flares will illuminate an area of more than 50 feet in depth. Normally 150-amp sunlight arcs would be used but in this case they were not approved by police."

Last edited by Nesster; 02-07-2010 at 08:39 AM.
02-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I wonder if Pentax AF would have been up to the job.
AF and frame rate aren't fast enough
02-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #41
Forum Member

Yes, they are photographers; photojournalists, not so sure. Just becasue they may delve into work habits that border on unethical does not make them any less of a photographer than anyone else.
02-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
But again just cause the public wants it, it doesn't make it right.
It just doesn't sound right. The magazine knew it would draw in millions. OK sooo....
Take a photo of Britney Spears nude in her shower it'll sell millions of copies, does that make it right. Any more right than selling a photo of Princess Diana dead?

When Britney Spears claims a net income of no more than 50K, then i will start to sympathize with her. (or any acelebrity for that matter)

You are who you are because of the people, you are stupid rich because of the people, if the people want to see you naked, or keep track of your personal life, you have no choice in the matter.

A paparazzo is there to fill a market demand, if you have something against them, start blaming the people.
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
When Britney Spears claims a net income of no more than 50K, then i will start to sympathize with her. (or any acelebrity for that matter)

You are who you are because of the people, you are stupid rich because of the people, if the people want to see you naked, or keep track of your personal life, you have no choice in the matter.

A paparazzo is there to fill a market demand, if you have something against them, start blaming the people.
A lot of rich people now days are just flat out stupid. Not all but most, talking about Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Justin Timberlake, etc. Most of them grow up from being rich and young without ever having to face their mistakes, which eventually leads to being old and dumb because they don't know how to properly act to do when they are in trouble. I'm glad I'm not rich.... at least yet. Growing up with many mistakes and little money helps build self-discipline and makes you wise. Although this is not the case as I've seen someone grow up otherwise...