Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
No, I don't think Ill of dogs..

His life is worth more to me than 99.999% of the people I've ever come into contact with.
See, we can learn much from our 'best friends' Including, perhaps, how much numbers and underwear are to be held sacred.

Doggie philosophy:
' If you walk a mile in another man's shoes, ...Can I chew them! Pleeeez! '

02-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I mean, hey. I'm afraid of *dying* as much as the next person. Maybe more. Got one Hel of a nervous system right now. Afraid of Death? Not really. AKA, 'No.' Not like some come knock on my door on weekend mornings trying to make me be. Come try to tell me I'm so 'unspiritual' that... they need to come remind me that 'Ultimate Goodness' wants certain people torutred for eternity. Buy now!'

Diddlysquat.

Fools, liars, and cowards, they are.
Hell, according to the bible, is the grave.
(1) The Bible hell (sheol/hades) is the realm of death; it is described as a place where there is no work, no device, no knowledge, nor wisdom. (And no, this doesn't refer to GT here on the forum!) -- Ecclesiastes 9:10 - many translations render "sheol" as "the grave" here.

(2) The only Old Testament word translated hell is sheol, to which the New Testament word hades corresponds.

The "burn for all eternity in a pit of fire" Hell is a contrivance of man.
Interesting Read: Hell and the Bible
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
Inactive Account

See, we can learn much from our 'best friends' Including, perhaps, how much numbers and underwear are to be held sacred.

Doggie philosophy:
' If you walk a mile in another man's shoes, ...Can I chew them! Pleeeez! '
I prefer the other doggie philosophy...

If you can't eat it or screw it, Piss on it and walk away.
02-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Hell, according to the bible, is the grave.
The Bible also never mentions lesbians, ever. But I still get no end of grief out of it. That's all on someone else's extrapolation, interpretation, and whatever the Hel they brought to looking for written excuses in the first place.

Don't come crying to *me* about what it says (or doesn't say) about 'death.'

Seriously. That's *all you.* Literally.

Where does it get right I'm supposed to fill in *your* blanks?

You know when I mention you lot get *backwards* a lot? Some of you Christians are so wound up about 'homosexuality' that you will try to scream at my seven-year-old daughter how she shouldn't have 'two mommies' by trying to scream really graphic depictions of what you imagine gay men having anal sex would be like, then go saying how 'unhealthy for children' it is if the government doesn't break up our family. With pain, privation, harassment, and maybe not quite as much food as we'd like to be providing.

And you want to scream, "Do you see a Mother-loving (Male member) in this situation, Bible-boy!?*

Frankly, I think they *do* see one.

Their own.

Not much else, to my estimation.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-05-2010 at 05:02 PM.
02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I try to be the person my dog thinks I am.
02-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
graphicgr8s

The Bible also never mentions lesbians, ever. But I still get no end of grief out of it. That's all on someone else's extrapolation, interpretation, and whatever the Hel they brought to looking for written excuses in the first place.

Don't come crying to *me* about what it says (or doesn't say) about 'death.'

Seriously. That's *all you.* Literally.

Where does it get right I'm supposed to fill in *your* blanks?

You know when I mention you lot get *backwards* a lot? Some of you Christians are so wound up about 'homosexuality' that you will try to scream at my seven-year-old daughter how she shouldn't have 'two mommies' by trying to scream really graphic depictions of what you imagine gay men having anal sex would be like, then go saying how 'unhealthy for children' it is if the government doesn't break up our family. With pain, privation, harassment, and maybe not quite as much food as we'd like to be providing.

And you want to scream, "Do you see a Mother-loving (Male member) in this situation, Bible-boy!?*

Frankly, I think they *do* see one.

Their own.

Not much else, to my estimation.
True it never mentions lesbians. It does however mention the effeminate. Which is generally construed to mean homosexual. It is mentioned as a sin in the same vein as stealing and such though.
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I like this

02-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I like this
I like that too....it may be the best philosophical lesson here.

Posted by Wheatfield: "I try to be the person my dog thinks I am."
Regards!
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I like this
Wheatfield's comment was like an epiphany for me, particularly when Dave (my long-distance mentor) approved. Then . . . . . it dawned on me that I don't have (nor want) a dog. I guess I'm screwed.

Jer
02-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've got nine - all that their owners gave up on. They are the best. They're all different and each in their own way lighten my day everyday. Somedays I swear they're human.
02-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My philosophy is largely based on anarcho-green thought and post-structuralism. I believe in autonomy, family and social contracts in balance. Institutions, including (most especially) the state are inevitably evil. My "religious" beliefs would tend towards an entirely secular interpretation of Gnosticism insofar as goodness comes from people and not an exterior deity. Also: there is no "hell" other than our world, which does a pretty good imitation.

But don't interpret any of the preceding to mean that I am either a Humanist or a Libertarian, both strands of thinking being far too limited (and in the second example completely blinkered).

Anything to do with superstition is idiotic. But fiction is one of our richest resources.

To lose motion is to die. Our job is to recognise patterns, formulate impossible ideas and generate thought to energise others. We are anti-entropy machines.

The nomad is the model for successful "structures". Also the rhizome, viz ginger root.

All of these thoughts are held in a suspended matrix (Latin for womb) that allows no singular interpretation but rather a continuous dynamic of ideology/praxis.

Or did you want more quips about dogs?
02-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Hmmm.

I try to be nice. I try to get things done when they need to be done. I try to have some fun in life. I try to keep up with our dogs and all their energy....

I try to keep a positive outlook on life, which can be a real challenge when the love of your life has suffered from chronic depression for the entire 26 yrs (& counting) we've been hitched.

I refrain from the frequent urge to slap some people upside the head with a frozen cod (hmmm, maybe I should just killfile General Talk and make it easier).

Oh, and I believe we should all be good stewards of the environment and the planet, and we should not be making the planet burst at the seams trying to support too damn many humans. We have exceeded its longterm carrying capacity, and we (humanity in general) have been doing a piss-poor job of planning for the future.

Enough rambling and ranting. But those are some of my main driving themes in life.

Jim
02-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
My philosophy is largely based on anarcho-green thought and post-structuralism. I believe in autonomy, family and social contracts in balance. Institutions, including (most especially) the state are inevitably evil. My "religious" beliefs would tend towards an entirely secular interpretation of Gnosticism insofar as goodness comes from people and not an exterior deity. Also: there is no "hell" other than our world, which does a pretty good imitation.

But don't interpret any of the preceding to mean that I am either a Humanist or a Libertarian, both strands of thinking being far too limited (and in the second example completely blinkered).

Anything to do with superstition is idiotic. But fiction is one of our richest resources.

To lose motion is to die. Our job is to recognise patterns, formulate impossible ideas and generate thought to energise others. We are anti-entropy machines.

The nomad is the model for successful "structures". Also the rhizome, viz ginger root.

All of these thoughts are held in a suspended matrix (Latin for womb) that allows no singular interpretation but rather a continuous dynamic of ideology/praxis.

Or did you want more quips about dogs?
Whatever floats your boat! .....But that dog philosophy is going to be very hard to beat...so far no one has even come close.
Regards!
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You have my sympathy, and so does your wife..."I try to keep a positive outlook on life, which can be a real challenge when the love of your life has suffered from chronic depression for the entire 26 yrs (& counting) we've been hitched."

As I mentioned, I am a lifelong sufferer of Winter depression and it can be devastating, but fortunately, our winters are short and I am fully aware that even though I feel out of control, I am not. If this was an eternal feeling, I am not sure I would be able to handle it nearly so well...maybe not at all. It is hard to feel like life is over and not worth living while telling yourself that you are getting a false reading from your own mind.
Best of luck to you and my respect for dealing with such a difficult problem.
Regards!
02-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
I've got nine - all that their owners gave up on. They are the best. They're all different and each in their own way lighten my day everyday. Somedays I swear they're human.
Don't know a thing about you, but I know you are a good man. If I ever try to hack you to shreds in some other thread, please remind me of the doggies and I will back away at once! No kidding.
Regards!