Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a good Mexican Food suggestions?

I just asked my girlfriend what she'd like me to cook for supper one night next week, and she told me she'd like something Mexican.
At first I was thinking of Taco's, however I'd like to try something a little different.

However, you know me..... Nothing can be that easy. My girlfriend is allergic to all Processed Foods, Starchy foods (including Potato's) and grains. So she's a little hard to cook for.
She can however eat nut products, so we'll be trying to make our own Tortilla shells out of nut flower.

If you have any ideas can you please post it. If possible please post a link to the recipe too.
Thanks.

02-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you counting rice as a grain/ starchy food? I think that you've already excluded every Mexican food I've eaten (Mexican Town in Detroit would have been walking distance from my last house if there wasn't an international border in the way) with the possible exceptions of refried beans and bean soup.
02-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Are you counting rice as a grain/ starchy food? I think that you've already excluded every Mexican food I've eaten (Mexican Town in Detroit would have been walking distance from my last house if there wasn't an international border in the way) with the possible exceptions of refried beans and bean soup.
Xochimilco! Been a long time since I was there.. We use to take our long lunch breaks there.. Use to end the party nights there too.

Sorry I can't help with the OP question.. The GF's allergies pretty much rule out everything I ever saw on the menu.. You Could of course go for some of the filling type stuff without the wrapper.
02-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I just asked my girlfriend what she'd like me to cook for supper one night next week, and she told me she'd like something Mexican.
At first I was thinking of Taco's, however I'd like to try something a little different.

However, you know me..... Nothing can be that easy. My girlfriend is allergic to all Processed Foods, Starchy foods (including Potato's) and grains. So she's a little hard to cook for.
She can however eat nut products, so we'll be trying to make our own Tortilla shells out of nut flower.

If you have any ideas can you please post it. If possible please post a link to the recipe too.
Thanks.
First start with a nice antipasti plate. Hand made ravioli with sausage and meatballs. Top it off with espresso/anisette and cannoli. Tell her Italy invaded and conquered mexico and made them actually eat good food.

02-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Sorry, I forgot to mention, she can't eat rice because of the starch

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
First start with a nice antipasti plate. Hand made ravioli with sausage and meatballs. Top it off with espresso/anisette and cannoli. Tell her Italy invaded and conquered mexico and made them actually eat good food.
Thanks George, however Italian night was last week when we had spaghetti and meat sauce.
Instead of normal spaghetti I had to cook up a spaghetti squash, which turned out surprisingly good

She isn't really tough to cook for, just tough to plan meals around.
02-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Albondigas Soup (vege/meatball)
Lots of on line-variations. Leave out the rice if that's a problem. Adjust herbs and spices to your level. Fairly easy great 'comfort' food on a cold day.
Albondigas Soup Recipe | Simply Recipes

Tostada (salad)
Lots of on-line variations but it esentially a salad with or without a meat/fish/shrimp choice. Top with home made quacamole' and or fresh made pico de gallo (chopped onion, chili, tomato, celentro, jicama, nopal, garlic etc lots of variations here too). Tostadas are usually served on or in a tortilla bowl, you can leave this out as many people eat the salad part and leave the tortilla anyway. Tostadas usually have refried beans (pinto or black) You can leave these out too if it's a problem. Dress with a little cheese of your choice, shredded. Many variations.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Tostadas

Pescado Vera Cruz (baked/grilled fish fillet)
Many variations but it is a fillet (bass) with a tomato/vege base topping sauce served with any green or yellow vegetable mix.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Pescado Vera Cruz

Pico de Gallo (uncooked salsa)
Pico de gallo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jicama (similar to a slightly sweet neutral tasting turnip or potato). Peel and slice into medium thin sections that can be used as a salsa scoop for the Pico de Gallo. Really good and 100% uncooked veges. You can eat a ton of them.
What is Jicama?

All of the above goes well with some variations of Mexican beer as available. Pacifico, Bohemia, Dos Equis etc.
02-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Make sure you get some LeCrystal salsa and pour it directly on top of the lettuce. That will give it an authentic flavor.

02-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Forget it....What you are saying is that your girlfriend wants to try some fine German beer, but can't drink liquids...are there any powdered forms? Mexican food (Real) is superb, far outstripping the dull flavors of overspiced Italian or the bland flavors of French cuisine. Too bad your girlfriend will never know the savory flavors of Mexico! Personally, I would just get me a new girlfriend and then celebrate at Mi Tiarras in San Antone....they're open 24/7 and always have a line, even at 2AM...something you will never see at any Italian restaurant.
Regards!
02-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
Albondigas Soup (vege/meatball)
Lots of on line-variations. Leave out the rice if that's a problem. Adjust herbs and spices to your level. Fairly easy great 'comfort' food on a cold day.
Albondigas Soup Recipe | Simply Recipes

Tostada (salad)
Lots of on-line variations but it esentially a salad with or without a meat/fish/shrimp choice. Top with home made quacamole' and or fresh made pico de gallo (chopped onion, chili, tomato, celentro, jicama, nopal, garlic etc lots of variations here too). Tostadas are usually served on or in a tortilla bowl, you can leave this out as many people eat the salad part and leave the tortilla anyway. Tostadas usually have refried beans (pinto or black) You can leave these out too if it's a problem. Dress with a little cheese of your choice, shredded. Many variations.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Tostadas

Pescado Vera Cruz (baked/grilled fish fillet)
Many variations but it is a fillet (bass) with a tomato/vege base topping sauce served with any green or yellow vegetable mix.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Pescado Vera Cruz

Pico de Gallo (uncooked salsa)
Pico de gallo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jicama (similar to a slightly sweet neutral tasting turnip or potato). Peel and slice into medium thin sections that can be used as a salsa scoop for the Pico de Gallo. Really good and 100% uncooked veges. You can eat a ton of them.
What is Jicama?

All of the above goes well with some variations of Mexican beer as available. Pacifico, Bohemia, Dos Equis etc.
Thanks Phil, those sound like some wonderful ideas

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Make sure you get some LeCrystal salsa and pour it directly on top of the lettuce. That will give it an authentic flavor.
I'd like to Dragonfly, however if I don't make it myself there's a good chance it'll have something inside that she can't eat

Although I know that she loves Mexican food I think that she's testing me this time
Her turn is next, and it'll be between my birthday and Valentine's day.... so I might just come up with an idea that'll challenge her
02-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Forget it....What you are saying is that your girlfriend wants to try some fine German beer, but can't drink liquids...are there any powdered forms? Mexican food (Real) is superb, far outstripping the dull flavors of overspiced Italian or the bland flavors of French cuisine. Too bad your girlfriend will never know the savory flavors of Mexico! Personally, I would just get me a new girlfriend and then celebrate at Mi Tiarras in San Antone....they're open 24/7 and always have a line, even at 2AM...something you will never see at any Italian restaurant.
Regards!
She can't drink Beer either Rupert it's made from grains. However she's a wonderful woman, and I feel lucky to have her sharing my life.

Before I met her she was sick for months (if not years) before the doctors figured out what was wrong with her. So it isn't just a lifestyle choice. It's just something that I have to learn to work around, when I'm with her.
She doesn't mind me eating whatever I want, when we go out.
02-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, I guess if she is that fine, you should keep her....Mrs Rupert is not allergic to anything, but she is the most picky eater I have ever known and nibbles at food like a sparrow. Our first date almost 40 years ago almost ended before we got started when she refused to eat all on her plate, and I insisted she eat what I paid for......Now, all those years later she weighs the same as she did on that night...and still looks pretty damn good to me too!
Regards...from Mrs Rupert too!
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Laker, we really learned to enjoy Mexican food. We tend not to do the taco burrito typical thing as my wife has some intake issues as well. If you bone up on it, there is a wide veriety of recipies available and as Rupert pointed out they are not short of flavor. Most are pretty easy to put together at home but even eating out we enjoy tostadas most every where without cheese, sour cream and beans. I usually top them with a ton of pico de gallo or the restaurant's equivelant.

You may care to get a little bold and try chevice. This is an uncooked fish chopped and marinaded in lime juice (lemon works too) and with a pico de gallo mix. My variation is to add some Del Monte shrimp cocktail sauce to moisten the mix and it adds a slight horse radish hint. Many chevice variations. In the Caribbian they even use conch. A white fish like a bass works best. I avoid oily fish like mackrel or tuna for this some do use it. Many many variations. Some are dry and served like a dip. Some a garnish, some in a bowl and eat with a spoon and some like a cold soup with more liquid.
The Ceviche Recipe Depot - Cevicherecipe.org

Seared tuna (a la sushi style) is also good with Mex style foods or on/in a tostada. Mexicans eat a lot of fish around the coasts.

Damn, the cold soup reminded me of Gaspacho/Gazpacho (Spanish/So American). I love this. It's a cold vege soup made in a blender. Many variations and it can be mild to spicy as it suits you. Really differant and I would recommend it too. Really great in the hot summer months. A few restaurants have fruit rather than vege or a combo variation. I prefer the vege.
Gazpacho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since she can't manage beer a red wine might be an option. They all have natural and added sulfites as a presevative though.

That bring up dessert. Has she tried flan (egg custard). Mostly egg and dairy. You can Google that.
02-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Inactive Account

One more:
Fruita de mara:
Many spellings and many styles from Greece to Spain to Mexico. basically a fish-sea food mixed stew. Some have pasta some do not. It's easy enough to leave out. Go easy on the scotch bonnet peppers, these I would not recommed as they are nuclear and I like hot. Just my opinion.

Fiery Frutas del Mar Ceviche | WholeFoodsMarket.com

That should keep you cooking for an afternoon.

Cheers
02-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

One of my favorites and a common delight is Chile Rellenos. If you can use that nut flour as the batter, they might be even better? You can even go without the batter, they are very delicious. I like to add shredded BBQ brisket with the cheese for an even tastier treat......true Tex-Mex.

Ive heard many say these beat Cannolis by a Texas mile....I can't verify that, since I learned that Cannolis originate in the Communist sector of Italy, I refuse to try them. George....he loves those Cannolis, so maybe he will try a big Chile Relleno and let us know his opinion? I bet he will have an opinion....wanna bet? LOL!
Regards!
How to Make Chile Rellenos

Last edited by Rupert; 02-06-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: poor grammar
02-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

What about a lobster taco with salsa verde?