Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
Damn Brit

Iran now has more reporters locked up than China. They are arresting artists, poets, writers, students, children's rights activists and women's rights activists.
This is a power play and I think a revolution is on the cards. Iran has an educated younger generation and a huge number of ex-pats around the world who would support them.
The west needs to tread carefully and think hard before interfering over there. IMO.

02-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Just like they did in Afghanistan. Oops....don't think they won that one.
If it had just been Afghanistan they would have done OK. Unfortunately, the USA had decided to fight yet another of it's wars by proxy.
Consider that if you had stayed out of the Russian/Afghan conflict, we probably wouldn't be dealing with the Taliban today.
I expect that if the Russians decide to spank Iran, the USA will suddenly be Iran's new best friend, at least for a while.
It's like you guys never graduated from grade school sometimes.
02-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
How has that ever factored into the Russian's decision making process? Not being overly concerned about what the rest of the world thought is one of the things they got right politically.
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Just like they did in Afghanistan. Oops....don't think they won that one.
lets go over what i said once more:

if the world turned a blind eye to the whole thing, the russians would wipe Iran in a day or two... but that wouldn't be very PC...

if the world turned a blind eye

this is for you, Cardinal, as Reportage and Bill already pointed out, the Russians (then Soviet Union) would have had a considerably easier time suppressing the anti-communist factions in Afghanistan. But you knew that, so i'll just assume you simply did not read my sentence carefully.

but that would'nt be very PC

is referring to the entire sentence, the act of turning a blind eye (your blind eye, the Wests blind eye, the UN's blind eye) upon ruthless military action on behalf of the Russians. You dont get to cross out parts of my sentence to create tangent arguments, sorry.

Although I will agree that our disregard for what the world thinks is an asset.
02-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
And kill off their Cash Cow? I thought you were the "smart guy"?
Regards!
Oil is underground, people are above ground... we're not getting rid of the cows, just the farmers.

02-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
Inactive Account

As far as the uranium goes, I'm not sure they've had enough time to make the appropriate changes in their process to reach 93%. However, I've heard rumor of underground hiring of physicists that specialize in the field.

Though most of the things said tend to be empty threats, we should definitely watch closely for this "punch".

If they do announce the ability to produce weapons grade nuclear material, we need to take heed. Not so much from a weapons threat, but since they are technologically behind in the area of atomic energy (in some respects) we need to worry about potential accidents. Remember Chernobyl, and Three Mile Island? Besides, it seems much of the technology they do have was supplied by or designed by Russian scientists and engineers. One reactor site in particular is likely a hodgepodge of German and Russian tech.

The last thing we need is another nuclear power on the map.

On another note, I'm glad my B-day is today.... I don't want them celebrating for me......lol
02-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, this may shed some light on matters:

Feb 11th is Iran's revolutionary national holiday, and there are massive peaceful protests being planned by the democratic opposition.

Whatever it is, it'll probably be a diversion from that and whatever else happens.

Let's hope it's not a massacre. It's possible the regime may just go for the 'iron fist, see our resolve' kind of thing, but I think it'll be a diversion.
02-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, it seems they learned from the election debacle. Protesters using twitter, blogs, etc are already being taken care of by the government ahead of time. Only state ran media are going to cover this one. Only a day or less to go... we'll see.

02-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

are we gonna make bets?
02-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, let's see, maybe I'll take an outside bet that the theocratic regime intends to 'stun' us by showing they've expanded their skillset beyond:

1) Hurting people
2) Threatening to hurt people
3) Saying it's for 'God.'

What odds will you give me, ten thousand to one? These kinds of regimes have a tendency to stay stuck in the 'breaking things' mindset. Actually *building* something, that takes work and stuff.
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

i was thinking along the lines of

a) the world will end

b) a volcano will erupt in downtown Denver

c) Arnold Schwarzenegger calls Obama a pussy.
02-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RJRock Quote
As far as the uranium goes, I'm not sure they've had enough time to make the appropriate changes in their process to reach 93%. However, I've heard rumor of underground hiring of physicists that specialize in the field.

Though most of the things said tend to be empty threats, we should definitely watch closely for this "punch".

If they do announce the ability to produce weapons grade nuclear material, we need to take heed. Not so much from a weapons threat, but since they are technologically behind in the area of atomic energy (in some respects) we need to worry about potential accidents. Remember Chernobyl, and Three Mile Island? Besides, it seems much of the technology they do have was supplied by or designed by Russian scientists and engineers. One reactor site in particular is likely a hodgepodge of German and Russian tech.

The last thing we need is another nuclear power on the map.
My friends have told me that they're struggling to maintain the technology (they are using out of date manufacturing processes for parts hence higher than expected breakage). That said those same friends have told me that Iran is firmly #1 on the list of dangerous regimes.
02-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
Banned

They'll send More turtles into space or up the ante to hedgehogs..

Iran Sends Mouse, two turtles into space
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

You haven't heard?....they are going to announce the state acquisition of Pentax from Hoya. God has told them to glue the memory card door shut and disable the output jack on a state approved release of the camera. You can take as many pictures as you want...you just can't transfer them anywhere.
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
They'll send More turtles into space or up the ante to hedgehogs..

Iran Sends Mouse, two turtles into space

So this mouse and two turtles from Iran get shot into space, and one turtle says to the other turtle...

"Shoulda .....sent..... a poet....."
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

What will be released.

A new version of the Monty Python "Lumberjack song"

Monty Python Lumberjack Song Lyrics:

I'm Ahmadinejad and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.
Chorus: He's Ahmadinejad and he's okay,
He sleeps all night and he works all day.
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shopping

And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing,
And hang around in bars.
Mounties: He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing,
And hangs around in
bars.
I cut down trees, I wear high heels,
Suspendies and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear pappa.
Mounties: He cuts down trees,
he wears high heels?
Suspendies...and a braaaaaa?

Mounties:break off and start
insulting the lumberjack
Girl: I thought you were so rugged
*then slaps lumberjack
Closed Thread