Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
We need about 10 inches of rain to take care of the 28" of snow we got last weekend and the 11" we got Tuesday/Wednesday. It is so much fun pulling 1/2 way out into an intersection to be able to see what is coming because of the piles of snow. Been telecommuting for the past 2 days, and the server at work was down 6 hours yesterday and 4 hours today. Now that is my type of telecommute.

Rupert: Noticed on the news this morning that Dallas was getting 4"-5" of snow. Think the average there is less than 2" a year. My wife's family in MS was expecting snow today.
For those not used to heavy snow-loads, be sure not to let the weight of it get to be too much, even on a parked car, and speaking of rain, if that's a possibility, clear the snow away from your tires: there's a possibility of getting kind of iced-in or even actually frozen down such that you might break the bead on your tires and end up with a flat.

I usually clear snow off vehicles and whatever before it gets to be too heavy, anyway, since I can only move so much weight at once to begin with. A bit at a time it can actually be decent exercise for me, but it's fairly easy to hurt or exhaust myself, too.

02-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Snow ended early last winter and started late this winter. Below average snowfall for Syracuse so far. It's all been to the south or the north. All the snow that fell in December melted in January so we've only got about 4-5" on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if we were hit with a double dip noreaster in March.
02-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Normally we receive about a half inch of rainfall in the month of January and about the same for February. This year in the part of Las Vegas where I live we received just under 3 inches. So far in February, we have received a lot of rain, but don't really know how much. We can see a little snow on the mountain tops surrounding the city. Presently at 11:45 Am it's 56 degrees and fair. We are promised sunshine and 65 degrees for Valentines Day.................it's a tough life here. (I used to live in the Northern Plains and understand cold, snow, ice, wind chill, etc. It's why I moved away).
02-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
We got five inches or so today and it is still coming down. Here in Central Texas it is equivalent to hell freezing over....and if you are on the highways, you might end up in hell or wherever you are headed pretty quick! No one here knows how to drive on snow, so they just drive like it is a nice Summer day.
Out my back window this afternoon....

02-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Total opposite here!
We usually get hwat the Estern USA is getting pretty much all through winter ... normal for us.

However, this winter has been very unusually warm and with much less snow that average.
I consider our area being quite a bit north of the Eastern coast - USA.
Another very strange phenomenon:

The "Basse Côte Nord" in Québec is very, very far North and East (Just Google the word "Havre St-Pierre" and you will see what I am talking about; well, today they had plus 3Celcius temperatures. It is usually, in January and February, much colder with temperatures going down very often to minus 20 to minus 25 (and lower) Celcius, with tons of snow.
http://www.maplandia.com/canada/quebec/minganie-basse-cote-nord/havre-saint-pierre/
Zoom out from the map until you see the entire eastern coast, including the USA and Canada ... Havre St-Pierre is very much North.

Whether this whole thing is due to some "climatic changes" ... probably not but sometimes you wonder what the heck is happening, and this is not limited to Eastern North America.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-11-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added a link
02-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We got five inches or so today and it is still coming down. Here in Central Texas it is equivalent to hell freezing over....and if you are on the highways, you might end up in hell or wherever you are headed pretty quick! No one here knows how to drive on snow, so they just drive like it is a nice Summer day.
Out my back window this afternoon....
Quick Rupert!!!.....call the winter Olympics committee and offer them the snow.
02-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went outside a hour or so ago and it was sleeting, I'm about 1000 feet from the gulf water.

02-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

82 degrees and humid here today. Strange weather.

Larry
02-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Quick Rupert!!!.....call the winter Olympics committee and offer them the snow.
You think it would be enough for a few Snow Cones? LOL!
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Lately, cool and rainy here. Temps around 0-3c at night and sometimes mild at 12-15c during the day, when it's not windy and rainy. Enjoy it, the summer lasts 6-8 months here anyway.

Jason
02-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I see out my window this morning here in Central Texas...
02-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Although it's cloudy and miserable outside it's the warmest winter here recorded. I've only shoveled the driveway twice, and I shouldn't have bothered either time. It would have been melted 2 days later

Just a few hours down the road they're actually trucking, and flying in SNOW... for some Rich Man's Party called the Olympics.... just so they can have a couple of events on a mountain which rarely has good snow. This year it pretty much has None
We had similar weather conditions here in 1980 for the Lake Placid Olympics. In late December, it rained so hard one of the main roads got washed out (9N if I remember). They hauled artificial snow in dump trucks for the cross country trails as they didn't have snowmaking capability there. We finally did get a pretty good dump of snow but there were a lot of nervous people for a while.
02-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #28
Inactive Account

My friend just called and said it's snowing in Mobil, Al!

Damn rednecks are not buying enough carbon credits from Al Gore. Those boll wevels will be endangered next.
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote

Damn rednecks are not buying enough carbon credits from Al Gore. Those boll wevels will be endangered next.
Relax Phil! Boll weevils know how to stay plenty warm!

Regards!
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Snow! Blessed be!

So what if once again it's totally not in season!

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote

Weevils. It's spelled *weevils.*

Also, what's happening here and now is not only *quite in tune with climate change models, actually. Again. *

But it's also *colder down here than in Minnesota.*

Last I looked, anyway.

Do you think today's weather means 'climate change doesn't exist/is fine' ....Or that maybe there's more to it?

Oh, my Gods! It's becoming darker!!!! This can only mean that the Sun was destroyed and all laws of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics in a gaseous atmoshere have fallen to ruin! It's not my fault!!!!!