Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your Weather Status?

Looks pretty bleak around here if you are like me and love sunshine and heat. I was conversing with a fellow Member here and a year ago at this time we met up at the Ft Worth Zoo for a little shooting and it was beautiful, about 70F, and almost too bright to shoot. I predicted a bad winter back in late Sept when I noticed every Squirrel was fattening up.....big time! Today...cold and snowing...in Texas!

How is it where you live, and is this winter causing you any unusual problems over last year? How are you coping? I've used twice as much propane this year as I did last year...and it's not over yet...

When you see a Squirrel like this in the late Fall....you had better get ready!
Regards!

02-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty bleak around here as well. We got another 8 inches of snow Tuesday into Wednesday. That's on top of the 21" we got over the weekend. I've had the snow blower out every day since Saturday.

I couldn't get my car out of the driveway this morning so I had to clean the snow off of the 4WD SUV and take that to work today. I'm really getting tired of all of this snow and cold weather.
02-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Pretty bleak around here as well. We got another 8 inches of snow Tuesday into Wednesday. That's on top of the 21" we got over the weekend. I've had the snow blower out every day since Saturday.

I couldn't get my car out of the driveway this morning so I had to clean the snow off of the 4WD SUV and take that to work today. I'm really getting tired of all of this snow and cold weather.
Al, I feel for you guys up there....and I feel guilty for whining about a little light snow here at 34F this morning. I know some love the cold and snow, but those that have to work and get out in it are really suffering. Just a short while until we see those blooms! I'm ready, and know you are too! We have had rain and moisture all winter...those Texas Wildflowers should be thick this Spring!
Regards!
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We're digging out (again.) The second round wasn't as bad as the first (except for the wind) but Baltimore has been essentially shut down since last Friday. But, what the hey--it's a break from the endless dreariness that's the normal winter fare here.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dave, that captures the essence of cold weather! Hope your storm ends soon!It's pretty, but I a could sure live without it.
Regards!
02-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty gloomy here down here in Brazoria county. No snow, of course, but it's been a rainy, cold (for us) winter, and we actually had sleet for a time yesterday. In a typical winter, we'd have had one sail under our belts by now - but not this year. Still, we're experiencing no where near the misery dumped on the folks in the midwest and northeast.

Pretty good forcasting on your part - and the rain certainly is a good thing for central Texas suffering under a prolonged drought - the last time I saw Lake Travis, I wanted to call it Stream Travis; things should be better now.

Jer
02-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This part of the country can get just about every known type of weather;
base ball size hail, torrential rain, blistering heat, bitter cold, heavy snow, sleet, freezing rain, and you can get two or more of those in combination. You are likely to have the misery index of any of them increased significantly by adding in wind of 20-60 knots most days. Those things aren't an exaggeration, but don't get me wrong, it isn't all bad. The other 3 days of the year are just beautiful.

02-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Although it's cloudy and miserable outside it's the warmest winter here recorded. I've only shoveled the driveway twice, and I shouldn't have bothered either time. It would have been melted 2 days later

Just a few hours down the road they're actually trucking, and flying in SNOW... for some Rich Man's Party called the Olympics.... just so they can have a couple of events on a mountain which rarely has good snow. This year it pretty much has None
02-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Pretty gloomy here down here in Brazoria county. No snow, of course, but it's been a rainy, cold (for us) winter, and we actually had sleet for a time yesterday. In a typical winter, we'd have had one sail under our belts by now - but not this year. Still, we're experiencing no where near the misery dumped on the folks in the midwest and northeast.

Pretty good forcasting on your part - and the rain certainly is a good thing for central Texas suffering under a prolonged drought - the last time I saw Lake Travis, I wanted to call it Stream Travis; things should be better now.

Jer
I have a friend that flew his plane down south last week and among the shots he showed me he took from the air were some Lake Travis shots....looked pretty good from a mile up. Hope we do get those Wildflowers this year, last year they were pretty sparse.
Regards!
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This winter has been very cold and dry. We started out with quite a bit of snow in December but since the first of the year, hardly any. Temps have been about average, maybe a little cooler, 0 F overnight and 20's F for the highs. Quite boring if you participate in winter sports. The downhill ski areas are doing ok because it's been cold and they haven't lost much of what they had and they can make snow. Cross country skiers and snowmobilers have to travel to the western Adirondacks closer to Lake Ontario to find good snow.
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Just a few hours down the road they're actually trucking, and flying in SNOW... for some Rich Man's Party called the Olympics....
I'll quote them a very attractive price for snow (as much as they want) but I don't ship--they'll have to come get it.
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nothing spectacular down here: so far this year we've had just enough of a flurry or two to be a cheerful sight. Right now, after a kind of windy, chilly interlude, (and a corresponding sinus cold I think finally broke last night, ) all's quiet. Until tomorrow, at least, where we may actually get an inch or two or possibly more from a different weather system.

A lot of the locals are complaining of extended blue-sky deprivation over the recent months: it's gone from years of drought to near-constant flood warnings. I hadn't actually noticed, being actually rather more comfortable under some overcast, (and having yet to experience more than a month or so of 'normal' weather for here: thus no real sense of what normal is for here, ) but we all paused to ooh at a break in the cloud cover last week. Even I need *some* Sun.
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

We need about 10 inches of rain to take care of the 28" of snow we got last weekend and the 11" we got Tuesday/Wednesday. It is so much fun pulling 1/2 way out into an intersection to be able to see what is coming because of the piles of snow. Been telecommuting for the past 2 days, and the server at work was down 6 hours yesterday and 4 hours today. Now that is my type of telecommute.

Rupert: Noticed on the news this morning that Dallas was getting 4"-5" of snow. Think the average there is less than 2" a year. My wife's family in MS was expecting snow today.
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Got to love SoCal

Its ~70 degrees and beautiful
02-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
We need about 10 inches of rain to take care of the 28" of snow we got last weekend and the 11" we got Tuesday/Wednesday. It is so much fun pulling 1/2 way out into an intersection to be able to see what is coming because of the piles of snow. Been telecommuting for the past 2 days, and the server at work was down 6 hours yesterday and 4 hours today. Now that is my type of telecommute.
You get 10 inches of rain on top of that snow and you're going to be losing some riverfront houses... A nice slow melt isn't as much fun but it's a whole lot safer. And the moisture gets into the soil a lot better that way

Here in Nebraska, we got another dusting day before yesterday (only an inch or so this round), and today it may even make it up to freezing point! We've got the same snow on the ground that we had in early December. Piles on every corner, driveways, the whole shebang. Our piles are smaller than the ones around DC at the moment, so I can't complain

Jim