Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Do you sit in front of a laptop or PC?

I'm noticing more and more that editing photos on my desktop is a better option & editing on my laptop is killing photos one by one. My Acer laptop screen has very low contrast and prints that i've made from edited photos from the laptop are way too contrasty and dark.

Has anyone gone as far as calibrating their screen with their printer? It is quite hard to gauge how your shots will come out at the print shop.

02-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Office hours I'm in front of a laptop, there after I'm on a desktop at home. I've given up trying to edit photos on the laptop because the screen is so poor.

I calibrated my monitor at home once with a friend's Spyder Colour Calibrator, but haven't done it since as the change was so subtle (and he's subsequently moved). I didn't bother to calibrate my printer as it's an inkjet I only use for text.
02-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

PC no other option for best editing. Notebook (17") is great for showing images/clips and some minor editing.
02-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Laptop. Its all I need.

02-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use my 42" HDTV monitor to display my desktop. Sometimes I turn the computer off and watch shows in HD, but not very often. I like the large display and being able to sit 8' away. I find that sitting closer to a monitor gives me headaches, and the close focusing isn't helping, either.
02-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
42".. christ. Does your head turn to follow the mouse pointer?
02-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Same here - nice possibility to brag.
This is my monitor and of course also my TV. Viewing and processing images works great. 42" Toshiba XV 635D

Oh...I'm using a PC.

02-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have calibrated my 3 notebooks and a 24" H-IPS LCD with i1D2. The H-IPS is no match to my old NEC 20" CRT for colour accuracy, but still way better than all the notebooks that I have had. Modern notebook monitors can be calibrated quite well, but the problem is the very narrow viewing angle which affected the visible brightness and colour quite badly on the top/bottom edges. As to the cheap Brother all-in-one inkjet that I have, I profiled it with Spyder3Print and the prints went from trash to very close to monitor display. But for lab printing, I just edit them in sRGB and leave the rest to the lab. Never had much luck with soft-proofing. The quality can vary quite a lot though depends on the labs.
02-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I do it on my laptop but not too many photos though as it kinda slows it down.
02-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Desktop for more serious editing (which I hardly ever do) due to bigger screen. I don't have a laptop, but a Linux netbook. Use that for simple work (e.g. raw to jpeg conversion and resizing for the web) and for browsing the web (90% of my visits to pentaxforums is done on it while sitting in the garden or on the balcony).
02-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Netbook as "photo vault" when traveling, but all processing and editing is done on my desktop at home.

The monitor on the netbook is just too small, and just doesn't cut it for photos.

Pat
02-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #12
Inactive Account

In front of a desktop. Well, not in front of the actual desktop, but a sweet, sweet Dell 2209WA IPS monitor.

It's like the K1000 of IPS monitors.
02-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

PC - 24" M-PVA panel (second one died though, haven't found time to get it repaired yet )
02-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
Office hours I'm in front of a laptop, there after I'm on a desktop at home. I've given up trying to edit photos on the laptop because the screen is so poor.

Same here but I keep editing on the office laptop during lunch break when I need to and then save as photoshop format, open at home and adjust if needed.
02-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
Forum Member

I've only had a desktop for about two and a half years now. Ever since I got into digital photography I did it all on an old Dell laptop. Was always concerned that the color on my screen was not what others were seeing, but now that I have a decent PC I'm glad to know that the colors are that different.

It's also a lot easier to do editing on a desktop with a good mouse than it is on a laptop with a crappy wireless USB mouse or touch pad.