Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

2010 Winter Olympics

Should be a fun event to watch, but there's already been a first tragedy (warning: graphic images):

Nodar Kumaritashvili Crash VIDEO: Winter Olympics Luge Slider DEAD (PHOTOS)

02-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very tragic, very sad!

But in the shadow of this tragedy I do wish congratulations to the people of the city of Vancouver, and the province of British Columbia. Best wishes for a successful Olympics.

Good Shooting to the BC Pentaxians. Lets see those shots!
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very sad.

I live for the Olympics. I will be glued to the TV and Internet for the next two weeks.
02-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost all of the Winter Olympic sports are very dangerous. All the more reason to respect and admire the competitiors. Even in the graceful sport of figure skating, one wrong move and a skater could end up severly injured or crippled. Very sad about the luge slider.

02-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saw the video and wow! That guy crashed into the poll at post 100 mph, very terrifying. Hope he didn't suffer a second of it at all. RIP, very sad. Good thing CNN removed the full video.
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Banned

What were they thinking by having steel posts next to the track after a 90mph turn ? They should have NASCAR sanction the event and make it safe.

NASCAR safer barrier saves a life video

Last edited by jogiba; 02-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.
02-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah just watching the Olympics right now and they said that this track is said to be one of the most dangerous in the world.

02-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
What were they thinking by having steel posts next to the track after a 90mph turn ? They should have NASCAR sanction the event and make it safe.
I believe it's holding up the track...

And for those who think they should have padded the steel posts, at 140 km/h it makes no difference if you hit a bare steel post, a padded one or one made of Jello...

Most people in cars with seat belts, air bags and a crumple zone do not survive a head on collision in a concrete wall at 90 mph... imagine the same crash without the car and it's protective features.

Pat
02-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should put up some hockey glass there.
02-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Life and death its a tragic event but the show must go on

cheers
02-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very sad indeed. It is not all fun and games, is it? My sympathy to his family and friends, we go on about our business, but they are frozen in their grief.
Regards
02-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Should put up some hockey glass there.
Yeah, exactly. What the hell??

Unfortunately, this epic fail cost this athlete his life.

Jason
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

.I know our family here at the forums has the best of thoughts for his family. God bless.
02-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I believe it's holding up the track...

And for those who think they should have padded the steel posts, at 140 km/h it makes no difference if you hit a bare steel post, a padded one or one made of Jello...

Most people in cars with seat belts, air bags and a crumple zone do not survive a head on collision in a concrete wall at 90 mph... imagine the same crash without the car and it's protective features.

Pat
pads do in some way provide a cushion or absorb the force of the impact, no matter how fast you are going. a clear example are those protective barriers that are used in car racing. I'm a huge F1 follower and saw the tragic death of Senna. after his death, the FIA made some revisions with concerns to safety barriers on the track. such improvement did in fact decreased the number or chances of fatality in racing.

I do agree with some of the posters here questioning the logic of such post construction at a crucial turn without any safety measures or had been created in a way to give enough space or room for the installation of impact barriers.

come to think of it, why do hockey players wear helmets and protective pads if they don't make a difference at all?

the answer is they do make a difference. it may not produce a 100% effectivity but it does it's job in decreasing the chances of fatality.

btw, when I saw the video, the first thing that crossed my mind is why the hell are those posts even there or why isn't there any safety barriers of some sort. clearly it's pure common sense.
02-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I sympathize with the family and his team for his death. I hope that they don't pull out and continue to play and use him as an inspiration and motivation and dedicate their performance for him.

and yeah, the B.C. cauldron was a real bummer. epic fail.

they should had a failsafe or used manual mechanical labor as a back-up option.