Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Riots in Canada

Are there people upset with the Olympics and causing damage in Vancouver?

02-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

see here
Although most people in BC don't want the games here, they've pretty much accepted it.
There's a good chance that we'll be paying for it for years to come
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I really did not want the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles way back. I had to eat crow as they were a success, no terrorist crap and everything I was able to read was the city did well on the event. Traffic was screwey in and around the city, but it usually is anyway 24/7. I hope these games go well for Vancouver and BC, it is such a neat place. The death was very sad, but it can happen anywhere, any time. Luge is very dangerous out of the gate.
02-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I heard the Winter Olympics were going to be held in Canada I thought that would be great for Canada..however, a lot Canadians don't think so....

Here is a quote taken from one of my other forums from a member who lives in Canada:

"Hey Lee. Expo 86 was indeed a wonderful event. Vancouver still is a very beautiful place with some great people. Unfortunately the provincial government is bankrupting the province with the 2010 Olympics. There are cutting back services and funding to EVERYTHING not directly connected to the Olympics. This means roads, schools, hospitals, social services and infrastructure. There is blunder after blunder. Today a tragedy happened. An athlete was killed while practicing on the luge run. He flew head first into a steel post that should not have been there.The cost overruns are simply beyond estimate. The main resort of the games is a resort called Whistler-Blackcomb. Last week it declared bankruptcy and is sitting back waiting for a government bailout. The bankers are forcing an auction in the middle of the Olympics. The weather is so mild that they are trucking in snow to the games areas. The biggest joke is that a lot of the games area is being covered with white tarps so that everything looks pretty for the TV cameras.

Of course there are merchants lining up to gouge and rip-off the tourists all over the place. Everybody from cab drivers to restaurants to car rental agencies to hotels to parking lots are jacking up prices like you wouldn't beleive. The downtown restaurants have factored in a 20% tip into all of the prices that is right on the bill. The customer has no choice. I am ashamed of Vancouver for the first time in my life. Oh, did I mention they have already busted 30 athletes for doping?"

02-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm just going to point out that doping happens at all athletic type venues. In my opinion most of the athletes whom get caught at this size of event are clean (at the time), however made a mistake taking the wrong cold medicine or something along those lines.
02-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm just going to point out that doping happens at all athletic type venues. In my opinion most of the athletes whom get caught at this size of event are clean (at the time), however made a mistake taking the wrong cold medicine or something along those lines.

Well....I was shocked when I read this....but you are right. I am not really taking the doping issue too seriously, Phil, it's the other stuff on that post that is alarming. Canada is not responsible for the drug conduct of athletes, that it in the lap of the Olympic officials......
02-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I can appreciate the issues now. I had not paid much attention as it would be more of a local/BC issue. I can hope that it does turn out well for you guys and not a huge liability. If I recall correctly, the Greeks lost a lot on the Summer Olympics, I think due to the terrorist crapola, tourism was way down then. Thank a mullah for that. It was a great event aside from that.... from afar.

02-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
My response earlier about the doping was to you Little Laker, but thanks for your response Phil....I got my forum members mixed up....a brain fart......
02-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It will be interesting to see what happens in London in 2012 as many people are already totally fed up with the arrogant way in which their lives are being disrupted for the next games. And as for the the policing.... expect a total lock down with complete disregard for decency, rights or the law itself.
02-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I can suggest that you Canuks hire Mit Romney. He did a great job putting the Salt Lake City winter Olympics back on the right track after a terrible start with OC graft, terrorist, security, corruption and budget issues.............

(Seriously, that was for the left leaning righty haters way down south here, I just had to do it).
02-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Are there people upset with the Olympics and causing damage in Vancouver?
Nah, the worst you'd get here is a drive by shouting.

As far as what it costs, it costs what it costs. I don't really think one should host the Olympic games and demand to make a profit off of it.
One should, as a nation, host the Olympics because it is a good thing to do. Call it National Altruism if you will.
02-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 1980 Lake Placid Olympics got paid off a few years after the games. Actually, they only lost a few million. A lot of NYC politicians made a big deal about it and fought hard to stop a second Lake Placid Olympic bid. Pretty stupid really. The NYC subways loose more than that on an average week. Having a WInter Olympics are a long term investment. Lake Placid is packed this weekend having an Olympic celebration. Once the facilities have been built, they get re-used and make money. There are World Cup Ski Jumping, Bobsleding, and Ice Skating events in Lake Placid every year. They continue to bring in much needed revenue and jobs to a very depressed region of the state.