Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blow Up

Blow Up
Blow Up was a film loosely based on the life of David Bailey and was one of the first films I ever saw relating to the Fashion Biz.* In fact, it was the first time I was ever exposed to fashion from the vantage point of a photographer. It was a real eye opener for me in many respects and may have subconsciously effected how I perceived myself within the BIZ.* Things have certainly changed however.* If I treated models the way David Hemmings did, the chances of my getting models in the future would be severely diminished and I would probably get a swift kick in the Balls!* I really love the set designs, the clothing and the make-up & hair.* Some serious experimentation was going on here and the creative spirit of the 60s time frame is so well expressed throughout the film. Also, check out the music, tantalizingly tacky with a scene of the Yardbirds doing a gig at a club in London.* Both Sarah Miles and Vanessa Redgrave are absolutely wonderful in this cult film. There is also an appearance with model Burshuka.

So many of todays photographers have been influenced by the simplicity and sparseness of the 60s.* Steven Meisel comes to mind when seeing this, but he recreated the ambiance 40 years later.* I consider this epoch as once of the most creative in Fashion Photography. But from a Sociological perspective, we have come a long way. None the less Blow Up stands as one of the most important films of the century, as it so well ensconces the paradigm of that time frame from almost all of the disciplinary vantage points; Music, Fashion, Photography, Architecture, Psychology, Philosophy and Sociology.

Hope you enjoy these videos as much as I do and perhaps they might spark your creative juices.

Benjamin Kanarek Blog Blow Up

02-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BLOW UP is an awesome movie that virtually no one knows about unless they are a photographer. It's our own cult classic.

Mike
02-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I love Antonioni's Blow Up!
02-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

As always Ben, a great article you put up here, and the video was an added bonus! Also, as always, most of this, although highly interesting, is wasted on an old Squirrel Shooter like me...but I still enjoy it greatly! I have no talent to compare to you guys in the world of Fashion and Modeling....but I do have Squirrels! Lots and lots of them .
I had Otis look in on your video clips for his opinion, and while he agreed that this is a fine Movie, and appreciates your post here.....he advised that if anyone ever wanted a good dose of Squirrel Rabies, just try pushing Squirrels around like they did those girls.....
Regards
Rupert
Otis...looking in on those vid clips.....Nope, you don't want to push around Otis!

02-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
As always Ben, a great article you put up here, and the video was an added bonus! Also, as always, most of this, although highly interesting, is wasted on an old Squirrel Shooter like me...but I still enjoy it greatly! I have no talent to compare to you guys in the world of Fashion and Modeling....but I do have Squirrels! Lots and lots of them .
I had Otis look in on your video clips for his opinion, and while he agreed that this is a fine Movie, and appreciates your post here.....he advised that if anyone ever wanted a good dose of Squirrel Rabies, just try pushing Squirrels around like they did those girls.....
Regards
Rupert
Otis...looking in on those vid clips.....Nope, you don't want to push around Otis!
Rupert....you crack me up....does Otis like the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie?
02-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Res, he does, but he loves the soundtrack best of all. One bad thing about December is that he plays those Chipmunk Christmas tunes until you just want to croak over dead....And after he has played them a million times...he starts Rapping them in his Rap Act.....Res, it is not a pretty sight...or sound!
Otis would ship to Houston via overnight FedEx....you interested? I sent him to be with Thommo in Australia for Christmas this year.....but unfortunately, he sent him back pretty early. He was picking on the Roos and even the cute little Koala Bears.......said he wanted to stuff a dozen and bring them back as gifts.....
Regards!
02-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

without comment

Last edited by wildman; 02-16-2010 at 03:13 AM.
02-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've been looking for a good used airplane propeller for the last 35 years.

02-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Het Rupert.....since Otis has become an international icon....he told me this is his favorate commercial because of the cool song describing his rags to riches story.......they asked him to be in it but he was engaged in other activities at the time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFKxQ3sy_UI

Last edited by res3567; 02-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Het Rupert.....since Otis has become an international icon....he told me this is his favorate commercial because of the cool song describing his rags to riches story.......they asked him to be in it but he was engaged in other activities at the time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFKxQ3sy_UI
Otis thanks you Res! It is his kind of music, excepting that he likes to throw in some really vulgar language and some controversial hip movements, just for the shock effect. You know Otis....he is a destroyer...just look at what he has done to Ben's nice thread here......My apologies Ben, but I have little or no control of Otis....no one does. Adam could ban him...but he says such nice things about Adam, and this site, that it is unlikely.....of course Adam might threaten to stop sending Otis those juicy apple slices......?
Regards!
02-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis thanks you Res! It is his kind of music, excepting that he likes to throw in some really vulgar language and some controversial hip movements, just for the shock effect. You know Otis....he is a destroyer...just look at what he has done to Ben's nice thread here......My apologies Ben, but I have little or no control of Otis....no one does. Adam could ban him...but he says such nice things about Adam, and this site, that it is unlikely.....of course Adam might threaten to stop sending Otis those juicy apple slices......?
Regards!
I thought you might like that one Rupert.....it reminds me of Otis everytime I see it!,
Ben....sorry....we jus havin some fun
02-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Blow Up
Blow Up was a film loosely based on the life of David Bailey and was one of the first films I ever saw relating to the Fashion Biz.*

None the less Blow Up stands as one of the most important films of the century, as it so well ensconces the paradigm of that time frame from almost all of the disciplinary vantage points; Music, Fashion, Photography, Architecture, Psychology, Philosophy and Sociology.

Hope you enjoy these videos as much as I do and perhaps they might spark your creative juices.

Benjamin Kanarek Blog Blow Up

A really fun movie, and, if I'm not mistaken, was a one of the major influences of Austin Powers (which is probably The Most Important Film of the Century).

- Sam