Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you drive a battle tank?

Is it as useful on a general resume as say..being able to pilot a plane/helicopter?

My thinking is that once the US somehow comes up with a withdrawal plan, could be a lot of guys looking for work so if you were an employer/university dean...would you be surprised at such a resume?

just to ask, is a referral from the commanding officer useful?

02-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Having worked in Human Resources for years, I wouldn't say anything is "surprising" about those skills, especially since those skills were obtained while serving in the military. If you are speaking specifically for yourself, are you planning on going civilian once your tour is over? Planning on getting some university study or a degree? Specific skills that are military or war time related may not have use much in the private sector, but the general skills picked up from several years of military experience can be quite attractive on a resume in general.

Jason
02-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Damn Brit

What jobs do you imagine there being available? Perhaps you should ask the question on a Chinese website, that's where everything is made now.
02-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It might be useful if you apply for a job asking you to drive a buldozer...

02-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I'm sure Blackwater US- er, sorry, Xe, would be happy to offer you a job.
02-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #6

As an employer, if you are looking for a desk job, the answer is no. It does help to list your tour of duty though. This will explain the gap in your employment history that would be glaring if you choose to leave it out.

If you're looking for a job in the security field, then it may help depending on the type of work, but you'll probably still need to get certification or liscensing for operating a plane or helicopter as a civilian regardless of your training.
02-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

To answer seriously, there is a lot of heavy equipment in the world that does not have a 105MM smooth bore gun attached. There is also quite a number of tracked vehicles that use drivers and mainenance staff.

I would think a statement of being a licensed pilot would be good on any resume'

'My thinking is that once the US somehow comes up with a withdrawal plan, could be a lot of guys looking for work so if you were an employer/university dean...would you be surprised at such a resume?'

I would think it would be better than a resume' from any of the 20,000 California prisoners our state is releasing early and unsupervised into the over 10% unemployed pool now. WTF, the place is a dump already, why not? We have geniuses in Sacramento.

02-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

driving a battle tank

means

ability to work under severe pressure
ability to multi task
ability to take orders
understanding of machines and mechanical process
respect of safety protocol

and on a more practical level, would probably make good fork lift or or other heavy machinery operators, particularly those with limited visibility.

last time i checked, heavy machine operators still get paid on average twice what a normal "desk" job would.
02-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keeping a tank in the field and where to put it certainly couldn't hurt anyone who needs a sense of logistics, especially of heavy equipment.

Certainly isn't a negative: a savvy employer will figure you've probably been exposed to a lot more different ways of thinking and coordinating than even you necessarily appreciate. Think of all the different kinds of personnel and technical fields and all that you interacted with and used. Probably not a bad thing at all to elaborate on just a bit.
02-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

A lot of heavy equip (bulldozers etc) operate very similar to a tank. It does require some extra training as they aren't quite the same. Military experience is always a plus no matter what job.
02-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I was still building roads the last thing that I'd want on my crew is a former Tank operator. It takes a delicate touch getting everything exact.

However, if I needed someone to run equipment in a mining or logging operation, where I just needed everything moved in a hurry then a former tank operator would be a good place to start.
02-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

'If I was still building roads the last thing that I'd want on my crew is a former Tank operator. It takes a delicate touch getting everything exact.'

Where would the 'delicate touch' come from a massage parlor or a car parking attendant for a hotel? Seriously that's just from operating engineer training.

I think I would prefer someone with large equipment experience rather than a shoe salesperson, though both can be trained to OE standards easy enough.

Construction Equipment Operators
02-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Is it as useful on a general resume as say..being able to pilot a plane/helicopter?

My thinking is that once the US somehow comes up with a withdrawal plan, could be a lot of guys looking for work so if you were an employer/university dean...would you be surprised at such a resume?

just to ask, is a referral from the commanding officer useful?
My boss and Dean wouldn't have a problem with it, especially given that the Navy ROTC Battalion is one of the departments within our college. Some of the students and faculty are in various military reserve units also. Some of the Navy Rotc students are in the reserve as well.

You do realize that many of the units deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq are Guard and Reserve units and most are educated and/or have trade skills of some sort don't you? This is where the situation differs from 'Nam. These people aren't drafted for a "tour of duty." The down side is some of my colleagues have done 3 or 4 "tours" in the zones.

Edit: There is also an Army ROTC unit on campus but it is in another college.

Edit: Edit: The tank crews know GIS and GPS as well. I'd hire one as a tech in a New York second!
02-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

tank operators are extremely precise

you dont nail a straw house 3km away with +/- 1 meter accuracy just by dwindlign your thumbs.. (atleast old school tank operators.. like my uncle)

modern guidance systems help.. but they still undergo basic manual training
02-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Two comments:

1.) A former co-worker was the retired captain who lead one the first tank groups in the invasion of Iraq during the first gulf war, and he lead a group of tanks in the Battle of Medina Ridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Medina_Ridge

He was very precise in his work (tech related, non-military), he adapted to an office environment and project team structure very easily, and he had a wonderful sense of humor about stressful project schedules. Go figure.

2.) I've interviewed and hired several recent vets and I've been impressed with all of them. If a person has the leadership and organization skills to lead a patrol of Baghdad he or she has an instant advantage over other applicants.