Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you giving up for Lent?

Now, I'm not Catholic, nor am I even religious but I do respect everyone's right to believe in what/whoever they want and to perform whatever religious rituals they desire. Along those lines I was talking to a Catholic friend the other day and he mentioned that he was giving up playing poker for Lent and it reminded me of this old joke (no offense intended)...
An Irish man walks into a pub. The bartender asks him, "what'll you have?"

The man says, "Give me three pints of Guinness please."

So the bartender brings him three pints and the man proceeds to alternately sip one, then the other, then the third until they're gone. He then orders three more.

The bartender says, "Sir, I know you like them cold. You don't have to order three at a time. I can keep an eye on it and when you get low I'll bring you a fresh cold one."

The man says, "You don't understand. I have two brothers, one in Australia and one in the States. We made a vow to each other that every Saturday night we'd still drink together. So right now, my brothers have three Guinness Stouts too, and we're drinking together.

The bartender thought that was a wonderful tradition. Every week the man came in and ordered three beers. Then one week he came in and ordered only two. He drank them and then ordered two more.

The bartender said to him, "I know what your tradition is, and I'd just like to say that I'm sorry that one of your brothers died."

The man said, "Oh, me brothers are fine - I just gave up drinking for Lent."
So, what are YOU giving up for Lent (if anything)?

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-19-2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: damned typos
02-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mike - this reminds me of 1980 when we lived in Ohio and had just started attending the large, 1st Presbyterian in Granville. On the first Sunday of Lent, during the "children's sermon", the preacher asked the question, "What season of the church begins today?" My daughter proudly responded: "St. Patrick's Day and my Dad's going to drink some green beer." The minister shrugged, knowing the point of the short message was forever lost.

Jer
02-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm giving up giving things up for Lent for Lent.
02-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Lent is a funny word.

02-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I lent my neighbor an electric drill once and I have given up on getting back.
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm giving up the device in my washing machine which catches stray bits of fiber.
02-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I think I'll give up self persecution and suffer a good, long bit of personal over-indulgence.
02-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm giving up work. Although, come to think of it, my boss thinks I gave it up a long time ago.