Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

disappointed in Adorama

Just received a Pentax M 28mm f3.5 lens from Adorama. According to their website this lens is in excellent condition and I payed excellent condition money. The front element is scratched and has other marks. It rattles when I shake it and the fstop ring is sloppy.
Excellent!!!! This is not my definition of excellent and infact doesn't match their website definition either.

What would be your definition of a lens in this condition??? Has anybody else had a bad experience with Adorama?

02-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
Just received a Pentax M 28mm f3.5 lens from Adorama. According to their website this lens is in excellent condition and I payed excellent condition money. The front element is scratched and has other marks. It rattles when I shake it and the fstop ring is sloppy.
Excellent!!!! This is not my definition of excellent and infact doesn't match their website definition either.

What would be your definition of a lens in this condition??? Has anybody else had a bad experience with Adorama
Doorstop. Call them, express your dissatisfaction in a calm businesslike manner, return the lens, and move on. It's entirely possible too that they sent you the wrong one. Was this by any chance an ebay auction? I ask because you have more leverage in that case than a direct purchase.

The 2 or 3 times I've dealt with them, no problems at all. In fact, I believe they are one of the better ones out there.

edit.. sorry, I didn't see your location. I'd be pissed too
02-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adorama go through a huge number of lenses, so while there's no excuse for sending you a bum one, sh*t happens. They will take it back no questions asked.
02-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

No excuse is right but no excuse not to return it as soon as you can and move on.
I have found them more than willing to bend their own rules in order to make me happy with a lens purchase.
Looking forward to hearing about the replacement lens you get next week.

02-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Like the others have said, it's gotta be an honest mistake on their part. Give them another chance.
They've worked hard, becoming one of the best. I imagine that they'll work just as hard trying to make you happy.
02-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These things do happen - often it is just a new person classifying used gear or the wrong item was packed in your box.

PM Helen Oster (Click the Link) here - she is the Adorama Ambassador for PentaxForums and will connect you with the right people.

Also, Adorama has is a preferred PentaxForums Vendor - we receive a referral fee whenever a buyer clicks through from PF to open their website.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-20-2010 at 11:28 PM.
02-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have had nothing but good experiences with Adorama and that includes a used lens purchase. As noted above, contact their customer service. They will make it good to you.

Steve

02-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

What would be your definition of a lens in this condition??? Has anybody else had a bad experience with Adorama?
I purchased an EX+ lens from Adorama in the past and was not happy with the condition either. The mount had a slight bend and was tight to twist on, the bottom of the barrel also had deep scuffs/marks. Glass was fine tho.

I suppose I am just real picky with condition.
02-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

That's terrible... why not just buy in Japan? assuming thats where youre at
02-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
cheaper

QuoteQuote:
That's terrible... why not just buy in Japan? assuming thats where youre at
I couldn't find this particular lens anywhere in Tokyo so when I saw it on Adorama's site and I realised it was cheaper even with $41 shipping I decided to buy it after reading that Adorama had a good rep. I must have been unlucky because they sent me a 'doorstop'. Now I have lost money because I have to return it and pay the shipping cost myself which they will not refund. A disgrace since the error was theirs.
02-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ouch shipping from Japan back to US could be just as expensive. From US to Japan to Japan to US would be as much and if not more than the cost of the lens, might as well keep it yourself now.
02-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #12
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

I am so sorry to hear of this; please contact me directly with your order number to arrange immediate return - and either exchange or refund.
BTW, if you scan and email me your shipping receipt, I will, of course, be able to refund your shipping costs, too: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
02-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Adorama good customer service

QuoteQuote:
I am so sorry to hear of this; please contact me directly with your order number to arrange immediate return - and either exchange or refund.
BTW, if you scan and email me your shipping receipt, I will, of course, be able to refund your shipping costs, too:
Thank you for your response. I must say that Adorama have been very helpful in correcting the mistake with my order and have refunded all costs involved no questions asked.
03-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

A couple of weeks ago was the first time I ordered through Adorama. I was surprised that it took a week for the item to come from NJ first class mail. I've ordered things from Washington state and received them faster. I just wonder if east coast carriers are lazy.... o.0
03-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
A couple of weeks ago was the first time I ordered through Adorama. I was surprised that it took a week for the item to come from NJ first class mail. I've ordered things from Washington state and received them faster. I just wonder if east coast carriers are lazy.... o.0
That's odd - could you forward me your order number? - and I'll check it out right away.