Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #1

UK Gov nationalises orphans and bans non-consensual photography in public

UK Gov nationalises orphans and bans non-consensual photography in public | Copyright Action

This is ridiculous. Our government is just stripping away photographers freedoms one by one and pandering to the media.

02-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new watermark...

As for the other issue, guess I can cross the UK off my vacation list...

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-22-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: better photo
02-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like it is time to call in V.
02-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Arrgghhh that is wrong. So essentially, anyone's photos can be sold in the UK? I'm not sure I quite understand this move.

02-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

It remains to be seen if this is just one person's misinterpretation of some proposed legislation or if there is a hint of reality to it.
Personally, I can't see something like this passing, as it clearly flies in the face of common law, and it is pretty much unenforceable.

As an aside, under what the author of that article proposes, taking the front pages and cover out of a book so that it is no longer carrying authorship would orphan the book.
I imagine there would be a few writers who would figure that out pretty quickly, Rupert Murdoch included.
02-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, the corporations have unlimited access to and for-profit use of nearly everyone's photographs, except professional photographers, who can't do street photography or, apparently, most photojournalism or documentary?

Best start saving our pennies for the legal defense fund of whoever gets busted, first. Probably won't take long. These guys just cheesed off the paparazzi. But someone more palatable and socially-redeeming in public perception would be better.

If anyone among them is thinking, every time the ones who put this bill through have a press conference or a photo op, instead of taking photos, every photographer can say, "May I take your picture, sir?" and offer releases before allowing anything to proceed.

Clone out all the people from lots of great street photographs and put em on the web.

Heck, maybe we could stage a general strike: lock off our Internet content, get some publicity on this issue together.

Instead of like 'Anonymous' we could be 'Photo Not Available.'
02-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems to me that if the no photographs by professional photographers part is accurate then that is the end of TV news in the UK. I'm pretty sure the people operating the TV cameras get paid to do so.

02-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My new watermark...

As for the other issue, guess I can cross the UK off my vacation list...

Mike
Better watch out Mike, or someone will use your watermark for their publication without your permission
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
This added to the no photographing police thing too...