Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #61
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, I'm just playing by the rules....all Libs are portrayed as Democrats....so all Conservatives must be Republicans? There is no room for middle ground or reason in America....haven't you got the word yet?
Regards!

03-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #62
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Hi everyone,

I've been debating this issue for a long time and want to get the forum's opinions on this. Should HR departments be allowed to weed out employment candidates utilizing social websites such as Facebook and MySpace? Should companies have the right to preselect people based on their religious, political, etc background or should this be concidered a descrimination violation? I'm just curious what everyone thinks?

Elwood
I think that the US Army (the employer) should have been a little more vigorous in learning the religious and political background of Maj. Nidal Hasan (the employee). Maybe 13 people who he allegedly murdered would be alive today. I believe that the employer should use all means available.
03-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
I think that the US Army (the employer) should have been a little more vigorous in learning the religious and political background of Maj. Nidal Hasan (the employee). Maybe 13 people who he allegedly murdered would be alive today. I believe that the employer should use all means available.
Or maybe the superiors, including those at the Whitehouse that disregarded the FBI agent that reported Arabs training to fly Jumbo Jets......not once did he report it, not twice, no, not even three times. He reported it thirty nine times in E-mails, phone calls (recorded) and in written correspondence. (All verified in Federal Trial Testimony) But no one wanted to check it out.....it surely could have prevented 911...but then we couldn't have found a convenient reason to invade Iraq, could we? Conspiracy? I used to think so until I realized after watching George Bush for eight years that he was truly just that dumb. These guys could have laid out their entire plan on Facebook and Jesus George would have missed it......
Regards!
03-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #64
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I used to think so until I realized after watching George Bush for eight years that he was truly just that dumb. These guys could have laid out their entire plan on Facebook and Jesus George would have missed it......
Regards!
I agree with the basic sentiment but calling him dumb is actually being rather charitable. Are you softening in your old age, Rupert?

03-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree with the basic sentiment but calling him dumb is actually being rather charitable. Are you softening in your old age, Rupert?

My apologies, I am just trying to be a kinder, gentler, Rupert. If I offended anyone with the charitable wording, it was not my intention. My intention would be to see the mangy retarded pinhead (Yes, retarded truly is a word.....sorry Sarah!) tried by a jury and hung for all the world to view for his ignorance and crimes against humanity.

Better?
Regards!
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would phrase the question as "shouldn't we understand what we are doing when we post on the internet?"

If you wrote a letter to the editor to be published in the local paper, would you call it an invasion of privacy if your employer read it? We are not chatting in a small corner of a cafe or in our living rooms. Put up a facebook page, and the world can see it and even search it. "Friend" someone you don't immediately know, and you have invited them to sit in on your conversation on the wall.

Reading emails--that is another question entirely. However, I never cease to be amazed at what people will post on a Facebook page that they have allowed a few hundred people to see. Privacy starts with what we choose to publish. I read tweets from people that I would not write in a diary that would be locked in a vault.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-03-2010 at 11:37 AM.
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My apologies, I am just trying to be a kinder, gentler, Rupert. If I offended anyone with the charitable wording, it was not my intention. My intention would be to see the mangy retarded pinhead (Yes, retarded truly is a word.....sorry Sarah!) tried by a jury and hung for all the world to view for his ignorance and crimes against humanity.

Better?
Regards!
It is quite amazing isn't it.
Yesterday, I read a news article about a woman (married to an American) and her two kids who are being deported from California back to Australia because her 13 year old son has been charged with stealing 46 cents from another kid in a schoolyard altercation.
But GWB still has his freedom.
Quite the disconnect, no?

03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #68
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yesterday, I read a news article about a woman (married to an American) and her two kids who are being deported from California back to Australia because her 13 year old son has been charged with stealing 46 cents from another kid in a schoolyard altercation.
Could you provide an internet link or the name of the publication that you read?
03-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #69
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Could you provide an internet link or the name of the publication that you read?
Link 1

Link 2

Google is your friend.
03-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #70
Veteran Member

It is quite amazing isn't it.
But GWB still has his freedom.
Quite the disconnect, no?
Now did you miss the part of the article that said her visa had expired over 9 months ago and that she was staying in country illegally? Please tell me that your lovely Canada would let someone stay there without threat of deportation if they were discovered 9 months after their visa has expired? The reason for the deportation was not the action of the kid it was his action that made the authorities look at her visa and finding out it had expired and this is what is causing the deportation procedures to take place.

on a side note does anyone here actually think that CHANGE.ORG can actually be thought of as being an unbiased source of information?
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Now did you miss the part of the article that said her visa had expired over 9 months ago and that she was staying in country illegally? Please tell me that your lovely Canada would let someone stay there without threat of deportation if they were discovered 9 months after their visa has expired? The reason for the deportation was not the action of the kid it was his action that made the authorities look at her visa and finding out it had expired and this is what is causing the deportation procedures to take place.

on a side note does anyone here actually think that CHANGE.ORG can actually be thought of as being an unbiased source of information?
I may be mistaken, but I believe in Canada, if I marry the person, they are kinda sorta Canadians.
Anyway, I thought it a bit harsh to deport her when letting her catch up on her paperwork would probably be the right thing to do.
But then, I'm a bit of a softie that way.
03-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #72
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Link 1

Link 2

Google is your friend.
Google is not my friend. Check their privacy policies. But in this case I was asking Wheatfield for his sources. Not something you happened to google. They may or may not be the same. The El Paso Times is my daily paper, and had they reported this story, I doubt it would have been the same, or perhaps even similar to the story in your links.

FWIW immigrant rights is a HOT BUTTON issue around here.
03-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #73
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Google is not my friend. Check their privacy policies. But in this case I was asking Wheatfield for his sources. Not something you happened to google.
Perhaps a PM would have been more appropriate then, rather than an open post that could be mistaken by a well intentioned responder as a general request for information. My apologies. I wasn't aware that your posts were Hallowed ground not to be responded to by those who weren't specifically addressed by them.
03-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

Google is not my friend. Check their privacy policies. But in this case I was asking Wheatfield for his sources. Not something you happened to google. They may or may not be the same. The El Paso Times is my daily paper, and had they reported this story, I doubt it would have been the same, or perhaps even similar to the story in your links.

FWIW immigrant rights is a HOT BUTTON issue around here.

I think this is ABC News.
Australian family faces deportation after fight - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
03-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I may be mistaken, but I believe in Canada, if I marry the person, they are kinda sorta Canadians.
Anyway, I thought it a bit harsh to deport her when letting her catch up on her paperwork would probably be the right thing to do.
But then, I'm a bit of a softie that way.
actually if you marry a Canadian you still have to go through the process, you first have to apply for a permanent alien visa and after you get that you can then begin the process to become a legal citizen of Canada, there is nothing that gives you immediate citizanship

I found this answer when googling How to Apply for Canadian Citizenship - Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Apply for Canadian Citizenship

Love the difficulty level as HARD

seemed a little easier to read than the offical answer anyway
Who qualifies for Canadian Citizenship? - Canada immigration services and canada immigration forms & applications

sort of makes you think that the Canadians dont want to let anyone in