Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

USPS - Undeliverable as Addressed

So, I recently moved (literally one house over from my old house) and submitted a change of address form. Meanwhile, I'd won a lens on eBay, which was addressed to my old house. The change of address went into effect the day before the lens was to be delivered, and as a result when delivery was attempted it came back as "Undeliverable as Addressed."

Just wondering if anyone's had this happen with a Priority Mail package, and what the eventual result was. If you'd moved and submitted a change of address form, was it forwarded to your new address? Was it returned to sender?

My tracking info at the moment:

QuoteQuote:
Detailed Results:
  • Sorting Complete, February 22, 2010, 10:22 am, SANTA FE, NM 87505
  • Undeliverable as Addressed, February 22, 2010, 10:14 am, SANTA FE, NM 87507
  • Delivered, February 22, 2010, 10:07 am, SANTA FE, NM 87507
  • Arrival at Post Office, February 21, 2010, 4:41 am, SANTA FE, NM 87505
  • Processed through Sort Facility, February 21, 2010, 1:03 am, ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87101
  • Processed through Sort Facility, February 19, 2010, 9:19 pm, CINCINNATI, OH 45235
  • Acceptance, February 19, 2010, 4:36 pm, CINCINNATI, OH 45217
No movement since Monday...

02-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
So, I recently moved (literally one house over from my old house) and submitted a change of address form. Meanwhile, I'd won a lens on eBay, which was addressed to my old house. The change of address went into effect the day before the lens was to be delivered, and as a result when delivery was attempted it came back as "Undeliverable as Addressed."

Just wondering if anyone's had this happen with a Priority Mail package, and what the eventual result was. If you'd moved and submitted a change of address form, was it forwarded to your new address? Was it returned to sender?

My tracking info at the moment:

No movement since Monday...
Was it insured? My postal carrier won't leave a package that is insured unless I'm here to sign for it. I don't know why it didn't get forwarded however.

02-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I once put a Change of Address Order and a letter in an envelope and sent them certified mail addressed to the Postmaster to get my mail forwarded after they ignored the first two that I sent in. In the letter I just explained the situation to the Postmaster and politely requested that he let me know if a simple Change of Address Order was beyond the capabilities of his staff so I could contact the Postmaster General's office for advice on how to get my mail forwarded.
02-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Frankly it just sounds like you have a putz of a mailman if he doesn't know his route well enough to notice you are just moving next door. And if it's the idiots at the local PO then if they have a COA in hand they should be capable of simple forwarding... Gov'ment efficiency at it's best...

Mike

02-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My Nikonian friend (Stephen Colbert side-hug, thumbs-up and grin, )

....may be able to help. *asking.* Watch this space.
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went in to the post office this morning and the guy at the counter had a word with my carrier, but they couldn't tell me anything useful. He gave her a note telling her to keep an eye out for it.

I'm going to go in again tomorrow w/ the tracking page printout and see if it gets a different reaction.

One thing I noticed is that the Delivered/Undeliverable as Addressed/Sorting Complete messages were all posted within 15 minutes, and well before my usual delivery time (which is about noon), which makes me think the package never left the PO.
02-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I went in to the post office this morning and the guy at the counter had a word with my carrier, but they couldn't tell me anything useful. He gave her a note telling her to keep an eye out for it.

I'm going to go in again tomorrow w/ the tracking page printout and see if it gets a different reaction.

One thing I noticed is that the Delivered/Undeliverable as Addressed/Sorting Complete messages were all posted within 15 minutes, and well before my usual delivery time (which is about noon), which makes me think the package never left the PO.
I'm going to state this as carefully as possible (in my own non-careful way).

I had a similar situation a few years ago. Not with a move but with tracking showing Delivered. That particular week, the normal carrier was on vacation. On 2 separate days during that week, packages destined for my address Tracked as Delivered. Both of them were hours before the delivery times for either day (the time of day the carrier gets to my street). The packages never arrived, nor did they show returned on the tracking (delivery confirmation). To this day, I'm convinced that either that sub or someone else at the post office, stole the packages. Had to be a random lifting as none of these would have been useful to most people. It's also possible that the packages were simply scanned and tossed in the trash because the carrier didn't want to be bothered with doing his job (no government employee has ever done That, Right?). One was the lift handle for my Jobo processing unit. The other was 5 rolls of Kodak HIE IR Film. Okay, I guess someone could have used the stuff but somehow I doubt it.. Yours differs somewhat in that it shows action after attempted delivery.

02-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a K135/2.5, so I hope it wasn't ripped off.
02-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Banned

that is far more likely to happen with fedex than it is the USPS.
02-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I didn't write that to scare you, as I said, my tracking info ended at supposedly, my door. No update on yours probably just means still in transit. If you have the tracking number you Can check it online at the USPS website. I think Insurance numbers are trackable in this way as well.. Hope it all gets straight soon. The k135 is a hell of a lens.

02-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
To this day, I'm convinced that either that sub or someone else at the post office, stole the packages.
Had to be a random lifting as none of these would have been useful to most people. It's also possible that
the packages were simply scanned and tossed in the trash because the carrier didn't want to be bothered
with doing his job (no government employee has ever done That, Right?).

Sure, that's why most of us become postal workers - to steal or trash all that
great stuff inside your packages! And the rest are all stamp collectors.

Seriously though, call 1-800-222-1811 with your Delivery Confirmation number.
Sometimes a live agent has more information than is available online.
If you can make no headway see the Postmaster at your PO branch.

Chris
02-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Chris.
02-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sure, that's why most of us become postal workers - to steal or trash all that
great stuff inside your packages! And the rest are all stamp collectors.

Seriously though, call 1-800-222-1811 with your Delivery Confirmation number.
Sometimes a live agent has more information than is available online.
If you can make no headway see the Postmaster at your PO branch.

Chris
My alternate USPS carrier got fired about 2 years ago and is in jail for tossing mail in a dumpster in order to get through the route on time.

Last edited by Blue; 02-24-2010 at 05:01 PM.
02-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My alternate USPS carrier got fired about 2 years ago and is in jail for tossing
mail in a dumpster in order to get through the route on time. I think he is in jail at the moment.
Sure there are bad eggs at USPS and there's absolutely no excuse for that.

That said, new or substitute carrier is just about the worst job one can have at the post office.
Typically each day they are assigned to several different routes with which they are not familiar,
yet the pressure to complete these routes on time is enormous. They are monitored in the field
and harassed by supervisors constantly, and the slightest infraction results in disciplinary action.

I was never a letter carrier. But if you have a good reliable one, please let him or her know your appreciation...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-24-2010 at 06:35 PM.
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We give our carrier cash in an envelope at Christmas time, enough for a nice lunch or what ever.
She is pretty good and always pleasant.