Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Green_Manelishi Quote
Such as?
The creation of the earth, for one.

I am not sure why this is so difficult. Are you not aware of events being described in the Bible? Have you never had discussions with those who believe the Bible's description is infallible?

02-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #302
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

I am not sure why this is so difficult. Are you not aware of events being described in the Bible? Have you never had discussions with those who believe the Bible's description is infallible?
Every religion has its own creation myth so you really cant say that it is exclusive to the Bible. I can actually not think of anything in the bible that does not have a similar example in other religions. I could be wrong since I have not read it completely but nothing jumps out to me as being exclusive to the bible.
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

maybe some crash course might help him. I'm not sure if certain schools don't offer some religion subjects or atleast tackle some these things.
02-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #304
Banned

It's in the Bible !

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6rSjrBhUIA[/YT]

02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Every religion has its own creation myth so you really cant say that it is exclusive to the Bible. I can actually not think of anything in the bible that does not have a similar example in other religions. I could be wrong since I have not read it completely but nothing jumps out to me as being exclusive to the bible.
I believe Gene was only responding to the question why no one questions the validity of the Bible despite the lack of living witnesses or who had atleast witnessed such events during that time.
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #306
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Exactly. I'm not saying there aren't other religions that do the same.
02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #307
Inactive Account

I find the King James most appealing. whether or not you go to church or not depends on what you get out of it. I am a Bishop in my church and spend alot of time in the doors. But just reading doesn't make "good people". Some of the best people I know, don't subscribe to a religeon but live its precepts. However, those wonderful people make a big difference in the lives of those that struggle.
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
How come most every time I read a Ratlady Tale, just before compacting in my five year warranty Industrial Compactor, the phrase "Persecution Complex" lights up in my apparently abnormal brain? Is there any reason for such thinking.....or is my mind just playing ticks with me?
Regards!
Your mind is playing ticks with you.

02-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #309
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In response to the original topic, I like the KJV or NASB the best. The church I atend uses the NIV for the pew bibles as many do, and I have read that version,but it is a thought for thought translation as opposed to a word for word translation. I think he important thing, especially for a new believer is pick one without a lot of commentary, just the word, and let the spirit guide you through study and prayer. An unbeliever just won't understand the word of God without the spirit.
02-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
An unbeliever just won't understand the word of God without the spirit.

Convenient, I'm sure, since you can call anyone who doesn't 'believe' what they claim is 'the one true written word' as they do, 'just doesn't understand,' being inherently not-understanding if they don't already 'believe' what they couldn't possibly 'understand' if they don't already 'believe' it....

Which, I suppose if that's your religion, whatever, but it's certainly no basis for a system of government. Or, any claims there's a rational basis, never mind compelling state interest, for imposing whatever they're divining as 'absolute truth' from that book as of the last half-century ago, retroactively.

I'd set more store by 'watery tarts distributing swords.' It has its faults, but it's more traditional, and a lot less brain-tickey.
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #311
Veteran Member

Like I said
02-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #312
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

I was given a copy of the King James version, leather bound, when I was 10. It's been with me 52 years now. That being said....

I was talking to a Native American fellow. His little boy asked him about the channel we were standing on between two islands. He told story about a mother otter who's kits were on one side when she was on the other. Some animal threatened the kits and she was in such a hurry to get over, that she tore a channel between the two bodies of water. I looked at him, he said "The Ministry blasted the channel through in 1932." Myths are good, as long as you realize they are mostly for children and may not be the literal truth. As for the bible being taken literally? Thou shalt not where clothes made of diverse fabrics." Anyone wearing cotton / polyester ? Ya sure you take it literally.
02-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was given a copy of the King James version, leather bound, when I was 10. It's been with me 52 years now. That being said....

I was talking to a Native American fellow. His little boy asked him about the channel we were standing on between two islands. He told story about a mother otter who's kits were on one side when she was on the other. Some animal threatened the kits and she was in such a hurry to get over, that she tore a channel between the two bodies of water. I looked at him, he said "The Ministry blasted the channel through in 1932."
Priceless
02-26-2011, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As for the bible being taken literally? Thou shalt not wear clothes made of diverse fabrics." Anyone wearing cotton / polyester ? Ya sure you take it literally.
This proscription in Leviticus 19:19 is for the Israelites who were commanded to have a ceremonial separation from many things, including intermarriage with other nations. This was to foster a sense of holiness, an apartness, a sense of being God's chosen people and living under His jurisdiction and obeying His commandments. They were not to intermix different religious belief systems in some sort of Syncretism.

It does not literally apply to Christians today, although the sense of spiritual separation is still there in the NT:

2 Corinthians 6:14 (ESV) "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness."

The verse above is not an injunction to Christians to stay away from both unbelievers (although I think the Brethren interpret it that way) and sinners (otherwise, our churches would be empty). Instead, we to maintain a sense of integrity & seek to live righteously in a sinful world. We are Christ's ambassadors. We are to mix with all people, just as He did, and demonstrate the power of Christ, not just in our words, but more so in our behaviour and actions.

As I was telling my kids last night: "We are in the world, but we are no longer of this world".

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-26-2011 at 06:01 AM.
02-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #315

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe Gene was only responding to the question why no one questions the validity of the Bible despite the lack of living witnesses or who had atleast witnessed such events during that time.
I believe Gene, and youself, completely missed my point.
Closed Thread