Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are You Lonely?

No, I am not lonely in the normal sense of the term, I have a lovely wife (Mrs Rupert, you all know her?) and an extended family, great Mom and tons of friends in this relatively small town where I have lived for many years. Some mere long term acquaintances, and some closer. I can go into any store any time and run across such a person...or several.

But still, I am lonely....I have not a soul that I can sit with and discuss my love of photography, my goals, or lack of, my equipment and how I use it, or just go out with and take a few shots for comparison thinking on composure, settings, etc. If I don't interact on several Forums then I have no communication on these fundamental items of common interest...and while Forums are great (This One In Particular!) they are not the same as sitting over a cup of coffee with gear in hand.

Do you have a similar situation, or do you have those nearby that share your photographic interest and you interact with them frequently? If so, you are very fortunate indeed!

What is your situation....I'm just curious?
Regards!

02-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes.

I hear you and understand exactly where you are coming from.

That was what made the Utah workshop so damn special, the companionship, the fellowship and the common interest without pressure.

Wish I could do it a lot more often.
02-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My best friend is a Nikon shooter. We see each other at least twice a week, although it almost feels lonely from your viewpoint these days.
it wasn't all that long ago when we were both single, so we met up at least 5 times a week (he's like a brother to me). Now we both have very career oriented girlfriends, with completely different schedule it's a little tougher getting together
02-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #4

I live in DC, all around me are people that love to tinker with DSLRs and to take photos, from friends that went to the same college that I did, co-workers on the job, to friends from churches and my Bible studies.

BUT ... you'd be surprised at how different our views on photography are. There's the person that takes a tripod everywhere with him, the person that does too much "online researching" and not enough photo-taking ... I'm not complaining though, we talk and laugh and take photos, swap cameras to test the water, good times!

02-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very fortunate that way. I have my friends at the studio that I can gab with about lighting or portrait techniques and I have a small group of friends that I go shooting with on a semi regular basis.
I also have coffee very regularly with one or more of that group, at least once per week.
02-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
....I have not a soul that I can sit with and discuss my love of photography, my goals, or lack of, my equipment and how I use it, or just go out with and take a few shots for comparison thinking on composure, settings, etc.
This is what camera clubs are for! It's the fellowship, more than competitions, programs, or field trips, that keeps clubs humming. In our club, we try to allow time at the beginning, middle, and end of each meeting for folks to just mingle and talk. Photography, by it's nature, is a bit of a solitary endeavor, but I think it's necessary to have interaction with others, if for no other reason than to help bring an outside perspective to your work.
02-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, I am not lonely in the normal sense of the term, I have a lovely wife (Mrs Rupert, you all know her?) and an extended family, great Mom and tons of friends in this relatively small town where I have lived for many years. Some mere long term acquaintances, and some closer. I can go into any store any time and run across such a person...or several.

But still, I am lonely....I have not a soul that I can sit with and discuss my love of photography, my goals, or lack of, my equipment and how I use it, or just go out with and take a few shots for comparison thinking on composure, settings, etc. If I don't interact on several Forums then I have no communication on these fundamental items of common interest...and while Forums are great (This One In Particular!) they are not the same as sitting over a cup of coffee with gear in hand.

Do you have a similar situation, or do you have those nearby that share your photographic interest and you interact with them frequently? If so, you are very fortunate indeed!

Regards!
Among photogs I mainly have either close friends (few) or colleagues. With the colleagues somehow I never discuss photography, but mostly business-related issues.

With my friends, who are also into photography, I have made the experience, that as photography is a very personal thing, I have to be psychologically careful, not to stept on theri toes, when for example critizing the poor technique of a happy memory snapshot… Also, discussing equipment is not really an option, as I know nobody, who has (no boasting, just a plain fact) who has the knowledge or the range of experience to lead an interesting discussion. I get calls from strangers from time to time, referred to me for photographic advice via friends or customers…

So in photographic terms I am very much on my own, except for the forums. In other respects its a different story.

Ben

02-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Camera clubs are important
02-25-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Camera clubs are important
I hate clubs…*But have been a member of an astronomical society since school – and that is a long time ago. Amongs "astro" there is more than enough equipment talk, to make up for the missing phorography talk.

Ben
02-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm a Loner and I like it that way. Since most of my shooting is Nature, I use the time to Zen Out. I enjoy the peace and quiet, it's very relaxing. A Photo Companion
would disturb that.
I have several internet friends that I chat with regularly and exchange ideas. Some of Gear, Some of Technique. Most of them are Solitary Shooters also. Some of us do bring our Dogs :-)
02-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

Regards!
Rupert whatever you do don't call the suicide hotline. They'll put you on hold.

I seem to be too busy to find any time to be lonely. I am alone a lot of the time Well at least I use to be. I like being alone. But rarely am I lonely.
02-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey Rupert, are there any photo classes at your nearest college?
To answer your questionthough, My wife and kids are also camera buffs and if I want to get serious about photography I have a customer who became a friend years ago whos credits include album cover shots for Bob Dylan , Peter, Paul and Mary as well as a well known picture of Janis Joplin.
02-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I can understand the lonely feelings. I'm also married, 38 years and no problems in that respect but the kids are all grown, my wife and I work both work nights and have no social life at all. Also, with rotating shifts and different schedules for days off, we can go days without ever seeing each other, at least awake. I hike alone, ski alone, paddle alone probably 95% of the time. There are clubs. Ski clubs, camera clubs, outdoors clubs. They all meet on evenings when I'm working and always seem to schedule things on Sunday afternoons and I have to be to work by 3 PM. I still get together with my motorcycle friends on occasions but I'm not riding much these days, it's causing some back problems. If I join them on a run, it's with my truck. I can get to church on Sunday mornings but can't catch up with folks the rest of the week.

For the last 36 years, pretty much everything focused around raising the family. There were school plays, music concerts, and the constant sporting events all through school and college. Your world kind of centers around all this. Most of my photography friends have been other parents on the sidelines of ski races, rowing regattas and soccer games. When all that ends, you begin to loose touch with people. With my last kid graduating college in the spring, I'm thinking it's time for a change. Cash in the 401K (I'm past the magic age so no penalty), pay everything off and get a day job and enjoy life for a change. It sounds irresponsible, especially to the save up for retirement crowd, but there isn't enough to retire on anyhow.
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Fortunately I have more than one interest..

Trains....

Classic Cars

Music

and of course Photography.. The photography isn't a shared interest though and most of my networking about it is online. The rest though, there's always someone to BS with about it. Sometimes the pictures and cameras come into play but it's usually limited to "Nice Camera", "Thanks".

02-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Banned

I knew you spent too much time with those animals. it all make s a little more sense.

no, I cant say that I am. maybe before I was to some degree, but a new relationship with a lovely young lady who happens to really be into photography has changed that considerably. even though she shoots with nikon. =) I think, particularly when it comes to something that is a hobby, it always helps to have someone to share it with. when im shooting for the local paper its one thing, but when I spend time just shooting for myself its a whole different situation. but having a muse can spark a real passion and open up creativity you didn't know you had.