Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lesser known, but still very important Canadian result at Olympics today

Canadian cross country skier Devon Kershaw, 27 years old and competing in the 50km event today:

Men's 50 km, Mass Start Classic - Mass Start : Schedule and Results : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Just 1.6 seconds off the winning time. Why is it so huge? He is considered a sprinter - shorter events.

Aside from being a European dominated sport, this is only his 4th race at 50km, his 1st 50km at a major championship of any kind. I expect even better things for his future in the sport, given this sort of performance.

He's also a bit of a photography buff:
Devon Kershaw's Official Website

Cheers,
Marc

02-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Being as he's used to sprinting, he probably needed the bathroom pretty badly. That's enough to hurry anyone up.
02-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
And he is from Sudbury! woohoo!

Hometown boy makes good!

In the interview he gave after the race he was almost in tears.
It sounded like he was very frustrated. Raced for over 2 hours and missed the gold by 1.5 seconds. A real heartbreaker.

Not to mention the whole race seemed to be overshadowed by the men's hockey final.
02-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Curious: was that interview online? Unfortunately I don't have local channels so all information was online.

I believe there was a mention somewhere on the official Olympics site that he praised his wax technician. The technicians are often the villans or the heros amongst Euro circles for the results - not the athletes.

02-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Curious: was that interview online? Unfortunately I don't have local channels so all information was online.

I believe there was a mention somewhere on the official Olympics site that he praised his wax technician. The technicians are often the villans or the heros amongst Euro circles for the results - not the athletes.
All I saw was a brief - maybe 15 or 20 seconds - interview shown during an intermission of the hockey final. I don't recall him saying anything about a wax technician. He looked exhausted and sounded very frustrated.
02-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No worries then.

BTW, the Canadian cross-country men had excellent overall results for their placings in the 30K pursuit. They've never placed 3 men in the top ten in history at the Olympics, all 4 in the top 20. Babikov 5th, Grey 8th, Harvey 9th, Kershaw 16th: 2010 Olympic XC Men’s 30km Pursuit Report – A Day For Canada Like No Other Updated|SkiTrax
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
found it

Here's the excerpt from SkiTrax:2010 Olympics XC Men’s 50km Classic Report – Northug Takes Gold, Kershaw 5th UPDATED|SkiTrax

An elated but very tired Kershaw couldn’t stop smiling after the race. “It was so perfectly executed,” said Kershaw of his race. “I planned to stay with the leaders, conserve energy and stay calm. It’s the fourth 50km in my life, and I am extremely proud of my race today and to work with George Grey. Our men’s team is such a tightly knit group,” continued Kershaw. “We even take ski vacations together even though we see each other every day.

Kershaw also indicated the role Cross Country Canada technicians played in, not only today’s race, but throughout the Games. “The level the technicians brought our skis to – they did such a great job in these adverse conditions,” he added, very emotionally, perhaps as the impact of the team’s success at these Games sunk in.

03-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes. Well done to Kershaw and Canada.

1.6 seconds behind the winner after 50kms!!!

I have a feeling however, that had he come in the top three, the officials may have looked a little closer at the incident where he (accidentally) kicked his equipment accross the path of other skiers (none of whom were affected at all).

So now we have the Gold portion of the podium wrapped up, we need to focus on more Silver and Bronze medals!!!
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

as Jerry Seinfeld said..

"Silver just means you are the number one loser... no one lost, ahead of you"