Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #16

Inversion tables are not for everyone. Please be advised that for those with circulation issues and high blood pressure there are warnings. Having said this, I have to admit I love mine.

Regarding hanging upside down, anyone that thinks they need to hang upside down to benefit from an inversion table is wrong. You can benefit by using the table on a 25 to 30 degree slant. The slight angle is enough to relieve the pressure on the spine. I never hang upside down completely & have never found the need todo so. as a matter of fact I had a friend with back issue that decided to over did it by hanging upside down & doing sit ups in the vertical position. He ended up screwing up his back more than it already was.

A word of advice. If you can, go to a store and try the inversion table. The table is only as good as the platform. The stiffer the platform, the less your butt sinks in. This will keep your back in a better position. If the fabric platform is too weak, your butt will sink in when in a non-vertical position & your back will not benefit. IMO, it's the combination of good spine position while taking weight off that will help relieve the pain so go for a good table and not a cheap one.

BB

03-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yeah - take the kicking - cheap, and it just may help.
Tempting
I get beat up by her all the time, except she uses pillows. I don't know what she'd do if she was really mad

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Inversion tables are not for everyone. Please be advised that for those with circulation issues and high blood pressure there are warnings. Having said this, I have to admit I love mine.

Regarding hanging upside down, anyone that thinks they need to hang upside down to benefit from an inversion table is wrong. You can benefit by using the table on a 25 to 30 degree slant. The slight angle is enough to relieve the pressure on the spine. I never hang upside down completely & have never found the need todo so. as a matter of fact I had a friend with back issue that decided to over did it by hanging upside down & doing sit ups in the vertical position. He ended up screwing up his back more than it already was.

A word of advice. If you can, go to a store and try the inversion table. The table is only as good as the platform. The stiffer the platform, the less your butt sinks in. This will keep your back in a better position. If the fabric platform is too weak, your butt will sink in when in a non-vertical position & your back will not benefit. IMO, it's the combination of good spine position while taking weight off that will help relieve the pain so go for a good table and not a cheap one.

BB
Thanks for the info BB,
I was going to ask my chiropractor before I try one. After all, he's the one whom keeps me walking these days.
I'm hoping that one of the local gym's has one, for me to try. I honestly don't see any point in buying something if it's just going to sit in the corner I have one or 2 reasonably expensive camera lenses already playing that roll
03-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I was going to ask my chiropractor before I try one. After all, he's the one whom keeps me walking these days.
I'm hoping that one of the local gym's has one, for me to try. I honestly don't see any point in buying something if it's just going to sit in the corner I have one or 2 reasonably expensive camera lenses already playing that roll
Our osteopath has one, he lets his patients use it as part of their treatment. That's why he mentioned it to us. But since he's over an hour drive away, it's not convenient for us to go there often enough to benefit from it, hence the reason why we decided to buy one instead. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your chiropractor had one too.

You could always try hanging from the ceiling, like Bruce Wayne does
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know it's nice to have people that care and love. My girfriend is on 'holiday' in New Zealand for 5 weeks and I got this message a few days ago
QuoteQuote:
look after my heart, I left it with you
It gave me some shivers.

03-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My dad an inversion table and it works pretty well. However, for the majority of my back strain/tightness/pain issues, Esther Gokhale's 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back is a highly recommended book. Very easy to do too.
03-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #21
Inactive Account

'My wife is TERRIFIED of being upside down, she despises it with a passion and doesn't look forward to it at all. But she's willing to try it because she's sick of living with constant, debilitating pain.'

Well laying down is half way to upside down. I made a weighted device for a buddy that had severe back issues. He used to sleep with it. He modified his bed to a foot down slant. He had a harness to keep his shoulders high and I fabricated a stand for an adjustable system of bar bell weights a couple pulleys and a leg straps. He would put about 35 lbs of weight pulling on his legs but he could move them as needed during the night. He used this for a couple of years and I assume it did him some good and allowed the spinal cushions to rehydrate and repair themselves. He was doing better as best as I could tell after a while using this idea. My back guy said always drink plenty of water, the cushions are 90% water.

We are using hemp here in So Calif now for everything from hang nails, haemorrhoids and nematoads. Just a thought.
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got back from the chiropractor, and I think that Kolleen will be much happier with me now.
I had enough energy for a small hike, and even a little shopping, which I couldn't do just yesterday. Plus I'm even thinking better.

My neck was out in 4 places, plus my back was out in several places. The doctor said I was out in the same places as last week.
We're both hoping that I'll stay aligned a little longer this time
The doctor feels that I just left myself go too long before my last visit, and honestly he's right.

03-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Stu....your making me feel guilty now, making an appointment with my chiro today, its been a couple of months between visits .
As for the inversion table, yes had one 10 years ago, and it was very good, helped a lot, when we get out of the apartment and into our house we will be getting another one.
Cheers mate.
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update,
The Threat of Violence has escalated
We took a table of hers down to my uncle, a cabinet maker to get re-finished last night.
It was too heavy for me to lift off her floor, without hurting myself, so instead of us working together she insisted on carrying it herself
When we got to my uncles place, since it was up off the ground, and on a car seat I was able to life it without any problem.
That's when she decided to utter something that sounded like a death threat.

I think that her exact words were
QuoteQuote:
You Do Know, that If you hurt yourself I'm going to kill you, don't you

Needless to say I was scared

Well it must have worked. I never hurt myself.

Even though the treatment was a 95% success last week I'll be booking another one in about 2 weeks. For some reason it'll make her happier, and I know that I'll feel even better
03-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We received our inversion table today. It was a complete NIGHTMARE to assemble, worthless "Made in China" crap with holes that don't lie up properly, poorly-written and illustrated instructions, missing hardware, and other miscellaneous issues. In short, exacly what I expected from a product that cost $129 on eBay including free shipping My favourite part is how one of the nuts wasn't even threaded... it was just a hexagonal metal ring with a smooth surface inside. Brilliant. How much pride do the Chinese feel knowing that they're unleashing this sub-par crap on the world? I'd be embarrassed if "Made in Canada" was synonymous with "Piece of Crap".

Anyways, once assembled, and once I found a replacement nut for the useless one, this thing was a rock. There's a handy set of lines marked on the adjustable shaft that correspond to the user's height. I'm 6'1" and when I set it to that height, it was perfect. I was able to flip myself backwards without a hitch, and back up again with similar ease. Same with my wife, who's 5'4" (we set it to 5'5" for her). Despite her intense fear of being upside down, she was able to let herself hang at 45 degrees for 5 minutes before going to bed. And it looks like she'll be able to do it by herself, too, so I won't need to get up at an un-Godly hour to help her. Seriously, who gets up at 9am? The real winners get up at 11am...

One unexpected issue; this thing is HUGE! It takes up way more space than I feared. I'll have to clean out the guest room and fit it in there. No way I'm leaving it in the bedroom.

Funny story: when I was trying it out, I had it near the bedroom door. While I was upside down, one of my dogs came by, licked my face, then walked away and knocked the door wide open on his way out. The door swung open right into the path of the inversion table, preventing me from being able to flip back up again. I was essentially stuck upside down until my wife heard me shouting.

Stupid dog...