Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's Your 5 Year Outlook?

Just want to know what others think what lies in store for us in the next 5 years. Here's mine:
  • Greece will be 'saved' by the EU
  • Italy not long after will be in the same condition and also 'saved'
  • The UK will adopt the Euro
  • There will be a worldwide double-dipped recession brought about by inflation and higher taxes. Unemployment will near 25% also worldwide
  • There will be another large terroist attack from a group deep within Africa.
  • With a sense of urgency and a dire economic outlook, the Dollar and the Euro will be joined together. Australia will jump on board also. Asia & Russia will be left out and angry.

03-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any of that is possible, but if the future is anything like the past, the major events of the next five years are totally unpredictable....although fun to speculate. If Yellowstone blows, half of the US will disappear and the other half will be mostly uninhabitable. Ditto for various other regions of the world. Politics is just as unpredictable....anything can blow wide open at any minute. Links from 911 to Dick and George could erase a rising right wing......Obama childhood 8mm movies from Uganda could bring outcries for his removal....anything is possible and even science fiction is not beyond belief. How many had heard of the Atomic bomb the day before Hiroshima?
Regards!
03-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, you're right. How many times have you heard - "You can't make this shit up." Truth is stranger than fiction.
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

My 5 year prediction is that the only way you will know the difference between then and now is to look at the calendar. The players may change but the stage show will be the same.

03-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
Just want to know what others think what lies in store for us in the next 5 years. Here's mine:
  • Greece will be 'saved' by the EU
  • Italy not long after will be in the same condition and also 'saved'
  • The UK will adopt the Euro
  • There will be a worldwide double-dipped recession brought about by inflation and higher taxes. Unemployment will near 25% also worldwide
  • There will be another large terroist attack from a group deep within Africa.
  • With a sense of urgency and a dire economic outlook, the Dollar and the Euro will be joined together. Australia will jump on board also. Asia & Russia will be left out and angry.
I dont know enough about 'rest of the world' economics to comment....but as far as Australia goes, we are walking a razors edge.

The Rudd Govt was elected in 2007 with policies of tokenism and "me too" wrapped in spin and inherited the worlds most stable economy written in black ink (yes, we had a 14 billion surplus), under the guise of the Global Financial Crisis we have pissed that up against the wall and now have a record deficit approaching some 130 billion, new Industrial Relations Laws that are an impediment to employment to appease the unions who funded the election campaign, mis managed programs running into the billions and now the prospect of more taxes to fund a partial national health takeover that will end in tears.....so dont look to us for too much help...we'll be flat out servicing our own debt amongst rising unemployment and galloping inflation in five years time if we re-elect this incompetent mob this year.

It has taken the Australian people a while to wake up to the fact tokenism is no substitute for policy substance....but waking up they are, and they're reaching for their baseball bats.
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The world is ending in 2012... didn't you get the memo?
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I dont know enough about 'rest of the world' economics to comment....but as far as Australia goes, we are walking a razors edge.

The Rudd Govt was elected in 2007 with policies of tokenism and "me too" wrapped in spin and inherited the worlds most stable economy written in black ink (yes, we had a 14 billion surplus), under the guise of the Global Financial Crisis we have pissed that up against the wall and now have a record deficit approaching some 130 billion, new Industrial Relations Laws that are an impediment to employment to appease the unions who funded the election campaign, mis managed programs running into the billions and now the prospect of more taxes to fund a partial national health takeover that will end in tears.....so dont look to us for too much help...we'll be flat out servicing our own debt amongst rising unemployment and galloping inflation in five years time if we re-elect this incompetent mob this year.

It has taken the Australian people a while to wake up to the fact tokenism is no substitute for policy substance....but waking up they are, and they're reaching for their baseball bats.
Rudd said he would take control of health care if the states did not bring it up to standard themselves. Now he is beginning the process of taking control and it seems some of the states are positioning themselves to make it difficult.
State vs Federal ownership of hospitals.........?
What can I say........ barbarism... think you should just sell them to a private concern.
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Rudd said he would take control of health care if the states did not bring it up to standard themselves. Now he is beginning the process of taking control and it seems some of the states are positioning themselves to make it difficult.
State vs Federal ownership of hospitals.........?
What can I say........ barbarism... think you should just sell them to a private concern.
Under our constitution that enshrines State's Rights, coupled with our Universal Health Care policy known as Medicare which has been running for 30 years alongside a private Health System...this is a very complex and emotive issue that has been bastardised beyond belief by the States (I have a 20+ year background on Hospital Boards & Regional Health Service Boards).

There is no doubt in my mind we need a single funder for our Public Health Services (currently we have a shared responsibility between States & Federal govts who play a game called cost shifting ie: getting the other side to pay), but what Rudd has proposed is a mish mash where the Fed Govt will assume responsibility for 60%....huh? They just dont get it, anything less than a 100% single funder will ensure that the current games continue.

For the record, I support the principle of universal public health care.

---------- Post added 03-05-2010 at 10:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
forgot about that !!...bugger...I'd better get a wriggle on....lots to do!

03-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I thought there was an error converting the Mayan calendar to our own and their 2012 actually has already passed in 2008. Common guys I'm waiting for the follow up - The world did end in 2008...
03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought there was an error converting the Mayan calendar to our own and their 2012 actually has already passed in 2008. Common guys I'm waiting for the follow up - The world did end in 2008...

then you mean all this is just a dream...???????

...from which we will never wake up.

Thats a cheery thought for the day.
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I was waiting for an Obama tie-in to his election, but it would nice if this was really a dream.
03-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

how do we know we are not in the Matrix does anyone have one of those red pills?
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

If you knew the world was ending in 2012, as predicted......what would you do in that last year? Just wondering? I think I would get all those no interest or payments for a year credit cards I could get...for starters....and charge to the limits on all the others.....If Pentax made a Ltd...I would own it! Just for starters......What would you do?
Regards!
03-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Rupert,
That depends on whether everyone knows the world is ending or just me.

If everyone knows it, then there would be chaos so I would be heading bush to find a quiet spot and enjoy what time was left. If only I knew,? then mate I would go on a spending spree, travel, cars....and photo gear of course.
03-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Well, I guess we'll all be five years older, then, if not significantly younger.