Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
JUST moved to Atlanta

Ok i JUST moved Atlanta i am looking for places to shoot and camera shops ect... i am located just south of little 5 and just north of East Atlanta Village. I know KEH has there head corters some where in town ( THAT is going to help my LBA LOL ) but i would like to have some paces that i could take my camera i if need be ect.....

Then i would like to meat other Pentax people also

03-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I don't think Keh's got a storefront at this point, but there's a few shops around there. Haven't actually visited them, yet. There's one place that looks good for used stuff: Wings Camera nearby, and a couple of other places that come reasonably-recommended (blanking on the names) Also, apparently, one of the Wolf/Ritz stores there is decent, considering.

One thing that seems it'd be promising in the metro area is the Craig's List scene, for general targets of opportunity. Seems like it may be a pretty big Nikon town, mostly, but especially if you're setting up a darkroom, it looks pretty useful.
03-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

There's a Wolfe's Superstore but I tend to not like the mother company or daddy company. Too bad I'm leaving the area next week.
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nathan -- welcome to the ATL! The ATL hates Pentax! Not entirely, but we are mostly ignored by the shops here. You should check out the Atlanta Pentaxians Social Group here for some good info (there is a bit of a rummage sale coming up at Wing's). The group started off with a bang, but has become a bit cobwebbed since (SLACKERS!).

At any rate, welcome and if you manage to stir up a few people with your presence, maybe we can get a meetup going. One metting with a few people who each bring a few lenses means you would have lots of stuff to play with for a couple of hours.

Cheers,

Adam

03-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, what he said....good luck finding a decent store there with any sort of inventory. I keep B&H, Beach Camera and Abes of Maine pretty busy when I am there since nothing can be found in Atlanta without spending all day and all paycheck driving around to find. Sometimes you get lucky though...

As far as shooting, endless possibilities, depending on what out style and inspiration is.

Jason
03-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
cool thanks guys
03-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Nathan -- welcome to the ATL! The ATL hates Pentax! Not entirely, but we are mostly ignored by the shops here. You should check out the Atlanta Pentaxians Social Group here for some good info (there is a bit of a rummage sale coming up at Wing's). The group started off with a bang, but has become a bit cobwebbed since (SLACKERS!).

At any rate, welcome and if you manage to stir up a few people with your presence, maybe we can get a meetup going. One metting with a few people who each bring a few lenses means you would have lots of stuff to play with for a couple of hours.

Cheers,

Adam
Hey, Adam: been to Wing's lately? I've been kind of wondering how they're doing, since it's a bit of a hike, but I've been having a lot more good days, healthwise, lately. Especially if they've got a good selection of old bits and pieces and odds and ends, I've been thinking of taking a little shopping list.

03-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Apologies to the OP for getting a bit side-tracked here...

@RML: I dropped by wings about 3-weeks ago (see my post in the Atlanta section about another "camera show" in April) and didn't find much for the average Pentaxian, though for closet Canon FD shooters (know any? ) I recall seeing more selection. I only walked out with a genuine Asahi M42-threaded rear cap.
03-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Apologies to the OP for getting a bit side-tracked here...

@RML: I dropped by wings about 3-weeks ago (see my post in the Atlanta section about another "camera show" in April) and didn't find much for the average Pentaxian, though for closet Canon FD shooters (know any? ) I recall seeing more selection. I only walked out with a genuine Asahi M42-threaded rear cap.
Heehee. I think my Canon kit's doing pretty OK, though. Could probably use another body in fully-functional trim, I suppose. Most of my bodies are long-overdue for service, and once I have a bit of breathing room, I should start sending em in for service. But one never knows. Could be some fun stuff there, though.
03-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

Hi Nathan!I would also like to welcome you to Atlanta!This is a great place to live except for traffic sometimes,LOL!As for photographic opportunities there should be plenty,just go up and down Little Five Points area where you live,the night life can get colorful and festive at times.Honestly there is much to be offered like many good size cities.
As for walk in Pentax stores ,well you will be disappointed as NO big store is going to carry Pentax.I think this is a trend across the country not just here.You may find an occasional store with something(Frys had a K7 recently but not even a battery) so I shop off internet and here for my gear so no problem any way.KEH,yes the store is here but not walk in but good deals to be had sometimes. Wing's was mentioned and Mike the owner(really an older family bizz) is a friendly guy but a small shop,mostly used gear,well picked over but sometimes a gem may be found.For other gear other than brand specific like Pentax is the store known as Showcase,a well established photostore.Used by a lot of pros here and has a large staff and inventory lacking Pentax of course.But if you are needing a tripod or a bag or the likes you want right now this could be the place,worth the visit anyway just to check out.Also they have a Photography school there also(different nearby building)with decent instructors IMO at a reasonable price and is also a good way to meet a few camera type people and brush up on some skills if needed.There are also several small camera clubs and meet-up groups also that are active and can give you things to do here.I know of the one in Decatur that is very active and near you.So unless you get board easily you should not have it bad here I promise,it is what you make it!

So what brought ya to Hot 'lanta?.....