Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
For our Canadian Members

I was just told that when sending camera/lens to Eric Hendrickson, there is customs and or other charges on the return of the item to Canada. Can anyone verify or refute this.

03-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've been told that there could be, however I was told at the same time that if you have proof it was sent down for a repair then it's duty free.

The easiest way to do this is find the original receipt (not likely with an OLD camera, even if bought new) or if you live close to the border just stop in at Canadian Customs with the camera. They can write it up for you.
There's a good chance that the post office would do the same thing for you.
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
BPT
Veteran Member

when I sent my camera to pentax in the US I had to show proof of purchase and that it was sent own for warranty work and I didnt have to pay, I would have otherwise
03-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have sent a few things down to Eric and have never paid duty. I simply indicated that it was being sent down for repair, and shipped it to Pentax Camera Service. He shipped it back indicating what repair work was done and that seemed to be enough. No guarantees, but so far it has been fine for me.

03-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I've been told that there could be, however I was told at the same time that if you have proof it was sent down for a repair then it's duty free.
Only if it's for warranty purposes. If it's for out-of-warranty repair, then the repaired product coming back into Canada is considered a "new" item with the country of origin now being wherever the repair was made, and taxes are charged accordingly.

Further, it's not "duty", we have a free trade agreement. It's just taxes. Usually it's provincial and GST, sometimes it's just GST. Depends on what province you live in. However the shipping company can charge you an extra fee for brokering the package into Canada. That's not a government thing, that's just UPS/FedEx ripping us off.

Traveling to the US multiple times a week (and buying tons of stuff over there) has forced a lot of unwanted knowledge into my brain.
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is that you have to register the item at Canada Customs and do some paperwork to indicate that you are exporting the equipment on a temporary basis.
When it comes back, you would only be paying duty and taxes on the value added, which would be the cost of the work done on the equipment.
I'm not sure if camera repairs would fall under NAFTA rules, so I don't know what, if any duties would be applicable, but there would certainly be GST and probably PST on the repair. Some provinces have harmonized their sales taxes, and some haven't.
In my province, there is no PST on labour, so it would behove aperson to check local tax policies, since if the repair can be broken down into parts plus labour rather than a unified charge, one would only be paying PST on the parts in a non harmonized province.