Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Your local ethnic shops...

This is a question for those of you that go to "ethnic" grocery/specialty stores of your nationality/background.

There is a time where i have to drop by a Russian store to pick up some food items not normally found in a typical mega-mart type food store.

However my experience has always been a negative one. The shops are always cluttered and poorly maintained, i feel dirty while inside. The staff are the worst example of what a Russian is, they look horrible and their dialect clearly indicates either a lack of formal education or that they are from the boonies of the ex-soviet land.

Makes me shudder every time i interact with them. Even back home, i would only bump into these these types in some land-fill type of open market outside the city limits..

but that is my experience..

Those of you who are Italian, Chinese, Arabic.. do you have similar experiences when you go to your "home" stores?

curious...

03-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
This is a question for those of you that go to "ethnic" grocery/specialty stores of your nationality/background.

There is a time where i have to drop by a Russian store to pick up some food items not normally found in a typical mega-mart type food store.

However my experience has always been a negative one. The shops are always cluttered and poorly maintained, i feel dirty while inside. The staff are the worst example of what a Russian is, they look horrible and their dialect clearly indicates either a lack of formal education or that they are from the boonies of the ex-soviet land.

Makes me shudder every time i interact with them. Even back home, i would only bump into these these types in some land-fill type of open market outside the city limits..

but that is my experience..

Those of you who are Italian, Chinese, Arabic.. do you have similar experiences when you go to your "home" stores?

curious...
Well there aren't too many Russian stores by me that I know of but in general the Italian store I go to is pleasant enough. Even the Italian stores I go to when I am back up in NY in Little Italy are pretty good. And seems like a few of the people I saw as a kid are still there. Older but still there.
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You're probably not talking about a place like this one:
Russ and Daughters
03-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

However my experience has always been a negative one. The shops are always cluttered and poorly maintained, i feel dirty while inside.

I buy white (like in non-kosher ) meat in a Russian supermarket. The staff's efficiency is below zero, most of their shopping carts are from other chains, there's always some alcoholic trying to squeeze himself in front of you. Makes me feel home
The butcher is really cool though

03-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could cultural differences have anything to do with this at all? And why are you surprised by this?

Would you like every store to be like 7-11, God forbid?

---------- Post added 03-09-2010 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You're probably not talking about a place like this one:
Russ and Daughters
The Food, Travel, or one of the other generic channels did a segment on this place, but it's been run by first generation Americans (sons, duaghters, cousins, etc.) since Grandpa first stepped off the boat and opened it, so not a great example.

If the United States had more of these kinds of shops dedicated to quality and service, it would be a much better place. Problem is, too much work, and after the first generation or two, they sell it to the highest bidder.