Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
What I do not understand about the whole Toyota "problem" is: Why does it happen only in the US? The Toyotas are the same all over the world (that's the reason for their economic success). The gas pedals are the same, the brakes are the same etc. - but why do'nt we have that large number of accidents, that are reported in the US, in the rest of the world?
Because (North) Americans buy different cars than the rest of the world. Ever see the GM lineup in Europe? Looks nothing like our own.

03-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's the UK & Ireland range-

Toyota
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #63
Veteran Member

First off, the majority of vehicles in the US use a vacuum powered brake booster. All three of my cars have one (2005 Toyota, 2002 Volkswagon, 1989 Honda). The only vehicles that I have ever seen with a hydroboost (power steering) powered booster were diesel powered trucks and gas powered full-sized vans because of the lack of space under the hood for a standard vacuum booster and master cylinder combo. The diesel powered trucks had to use hydroboost brakes because of the wide range of vacuum throughout the powerband. It would destroy a normal vacuum brake booster.

Second, as opposed to throwing the car in neutral and relying on a rev limiter - try low one or two. It will lock the torque converter and, depending on your speed, float the valves and kill the engine. A lot better than your life... It's just a car in the end.

Third, the brake problem with the hybrid cars - Ford is having a similar issue. To get the most out of a hybrid, manufacturers are programming the cars to use the drag of the electric engine to charge the batteries during a braking situation - making it a generator. It's not really any different than using the engine to brake you in a manual transmission car. They're just trying to get the highest MPG they can because that is a high selling point to people looking at hybrids right now. The fix is just a firmware upgrade like you do to your computer.
03-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
First off, the majority of vehicles in the US use a vacuum powered brake booster. All three of my cars have one (2005 Toyota, 2002 Volkswagon, 1989 Honda). The only vehicles that I have ever seen with a hydroboost (power steering) powered booster were diesel powered trucks and gas powered full-sized vans because of the lack of space under the hood for a standard vacuum booster and master cylinder combo.
Almost every modern Volkswagen/Audi vehicle I've worked on had a hydraulic power brake booster, not vacuum. Same with Volvos. My experience with other brands is more limited. This is since the early 90's, at least. I'm referring to cars here, not trucks. "Hydroboost" is a GM trademark, I wasn't referring specifically to GM's "Hydroboost" implementation.

The diesel powered trucks had to use hydroboost brakes because of the wide range of vacuum throughout the powerband. It would destroy a normal vacuum brake booster.
Diesel engines GENERATE NO VACUUM WHATSOEVER! What the heck are you talking about? Not one iota, none, nada, nothing. Even a non-turbo diesel engine generates no vacuum. That's about as backwards a statement as you can make. Most diesel engines have a separate vacuum pump to provide vacuum for accessories (ie. for power brake boosters) because the engine itself does not generate vacuum under any circumstances.

edit: gas engines with a turbo typically don't generate vacuum either and require either a vacuum pump or hydraulic power brake booster.

03-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Diesel engines GENERATE NO VACUUM WHATSOEVER! What the heck are you talking about? Not one iota, none, nada, nothing. Even a non-turbo diesel engine generates no vacuum. That's about as backwards a statement as you can make. Most diesel engines have a separate vacuum pump to provide vacuum for accessories (ie. for power brake boosters) because the engine itself does not generate vacuum under any circumstances.

edit: gas engines with a turbo typically don't generate vacuum either and require either a vacuum pump or hydraulic power brake booster.
You're right. I was going on something different. I am just a parts man of over 16 years - I don't work on them. What I said about the booster is true here in the US. They are mainly used in diesel applications and tight-space applications. Why I said what I did, I've sold a lot of vacuum pumps to dirt track and drag racers. They use them on gas engines to get as much HP as they can. i was wrong.

Last edited by Das Boot; 03-15-2010 at 07:22 PM.
03-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #66
Veteran Member

i was wrong.
I forgive you your transgression

As far as power brake boosters, it's possible it's just luck that I've been seeing fewer and fewer vacuum brake boosters in recent years. None of my current running vehicles have a vacuum booster.