Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
In all seriousness.
I find it amazing that no one would give up 1 iota of gun rights for the life of a little girl.
I wonder where they're posting now?

03-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

In all seriousness, it is surprising that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.
03-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Just what do you propose that would have saved her?
03-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
We could bulldoze the USA into the ocean.
How many years have you been waiting for the opportunity to use that line?

I bet you nearly soiled your pants with excitement.

03-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Just what do you propose that would have saved her?
She would have been saved if the idiot father had unloaded the gun and locked it, and the bullets, in a gun box. This death is all on him.
03-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In all seriousness, it is surprising that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.
it does, you just don't hear about it
03-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
She would have been saved if the idiot father had unloaded the gun and locked it, and the bullets, in a gun box. This death is all on him.
I agree. Just wondering what legislation would have prevented this?

03-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I agree. Just wondering what legislation would have prevented this?
No legislation would have prevented it, if guns were banned, the guy would probably still have his.

How about bulletproof vests for all children under 12? That wouldn't work, that's dependent on the parent (who's irresponsible enough to leave a loaded gun lying around) making sure that the child wears it.

Giving the guy the punishment he deserves (a long stay in prison) and highly publicising the fact might have a slight deterrent effect and cause others to think about their actions more. But then again, what's the attention span of the general public these days, a couple of weeks?

It's a sad and simple fact, if you have guns allowed in society, people are going to die accidentally and some of those casualties will be children.

I don't approve of gun ownership and I would like to see them banned but even if they were I think it's a case of closing the stable door at least a hundred years after the horse has bolted. People simply wouldn't give them up.
03-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The NYT shows that of the 81 deaths per day in the US, 4 were under the age of 17, and of those, one was an accident. So basically, 365 kids die in the US each year by accident. How many of those would be the age in this case I don't know.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/21/weekinreview/0422marsh.1270.1060.jpg

The US is different than the rest of the world as apperently you need a gun to prevent bad things from happening in your home. With that many guns lying around, accidents are going to happen. I don't think you can prevent it, especially since many in the US want it loaded and ready for immediate use.

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Jacobs1.htm

"The Kellermann study found that of a total of 743 firearm-related deaths, 398 occurred in a residence where a firearm was kept, and only 2 were associated with an intruder being shot while attempting to enter the residence"
03-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong...this is a devestating thing for the family, I have a 3yr old grandchild and I know how gutted I would be if anything were to happen to him.

Interestingly I said to my son who is moving to San Francisco shortly and whose wife is very concerned about law & order issues, that if he considered getting a gun in the house, for god sakes to get he & his wife trained in its use and to store it under lock & key....which makes the need for one a little superfluous....but its their decision. My kids grew up with rifles in the house and in farm vehicles, and were shooting themselves at an early age.

No amount of legislation will prevent this sort of thing from happening. The father will have to live with this for the rest of his life, his life is ruined, as his families.

Yes, he should punished as an example to others, but no doubt some lawyer will get him off on emotional grounds.

It is no different to not strapping a kid into car, or leaving a pool gate un-repaired or open, all of these things and more, will kill without warning.

God help those so affected.
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
How many years have you been waiting for the opportunity to use that line?

I bet you nearly soiled your pants with excitement.
41, and I'm not wearing any.
03-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #27
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Don't get me wrong...this is a devestating thing for the family, I have a 3yr old grandchild and I know how gutted I would be if anything were to happen to him.

Interestingly I said to my son who is moving to San Francisco shortly and whose wife is very concerned about law & order issues, that if he considered getting a gun in the house, for god sakes to get he & his wife trained in its use and to store it under lock & key....which makes the need for one a little superfluous....but its their decision. My kids grew up with rifles in the house and in farm vehicles, and were shooting themselves at an early age.

No amount of legislation will prevent this sort of thing from happening. The father will have to live with this for the rest of his life, his life is ruined, as his families.

Yes, he should punished as an example to others, but no doubt some lawyer will get him off on emotional grounds.

It is no different to not strapping a kid into car, or leaving a pool gate un-repaired or open, all of these things and more, will kill without warning.

Interesting way to phrase that buddy.
03-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #28
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Interesting way to phrase that buddy.
Isn't "each other" better grammatically?
03-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Tell your son to get a quick access gunsafe which opens either with a fingerprint scan ($$$) or a punch combo ($). If it's just him and his wife then this isn't as important, but there is no excuse for not having one of these in a home where children are present (even for short visits). And training is always a good thing, especially if you are not already familiar with a specific weapon.

He also needs to be aware of any firearms laws that CA & San Fran may have. I don't know them but California in general isnt the most firearm ownership friendly state over here.

Mike

p.s. I think the proper wording would have been "were themselves shooting at an early age."
03-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

First, my condlolences on your kids, and I hope they all recovered! You do have a good point(s) on other ways children die from neglect and ignorance. Here in Texas we have children die from being left in hot cars every summer.....most likely more children die from this cause nationwide than from guns. So.....do we ban cars...at least in the summer months? If not, why not? Maybe some gun banners would like to answer? Or maybe they wouldn't?
Regards!