Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Are you sure you got the right form?

Even if you did Question 2 on person one is just stupid in relation to question 1.

Person ones name?

How is this person related to person one?

Gee that would seem pretty obvious wouldn't it?
George, this is the right form, but I don't think this is the final one being sent. According to those that have gotten the ACS, there is strong language on it concerning the law and fines for not returning it - it's absent on this copy. As far as that question, it's pretty obvious that it's stupid - they've even filled it out already.

03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

More fodder for the tinfoil hat brigade...
03-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's too late for them.........!
I've been wearing mine since duck and cover..............LOL.....
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Are the forms still available in English?

03-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Are the forms still available in English?
Doubtful. I want mine in Creole
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You guys are so bad jeez I intend to fill out my census and take exactly 10 minutes doing it - and is there a way to voluteer for the long form
03-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Won't fill out the form eh?
What a bunch of commies.

03-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Actually isn't the correct term for our species "Homo Sapiens"?
If we're going to be technical it's "homo sapiens sapiens" last I heard... No caps on the genus & species/subspecies components of our taxonomy.

Colloquially speaking we can just be "humans" - well most of us on the forum can claim that anyway (sorry Festus!)

Jim
03-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Getting upset about the census form is paranoid. The govt. gets far more personel information filed away about us from those tax forms we are all filing every year than the census ever will. Unless of course you are one of those short form guys and consider it your civic duty to give the govt. far more than they are entitled to.

The day we are born, a birth certificate is filed. By our first birthday, we have a Social Security number if our parents claim us as dependants. Our drivers license lists our current address, height, weight, eye color, hair color, race and whether or not we wear glasses. Our medical records and credit history are readily available to nearly any govt. official who wants them and probably anybody else who wants them. In reality, the census is redundant and unnecessary. It continues because there is a law that mandates it and that information is used every 10 years to re-align congressional districts and for the distribution of federal funds. There is nothing on that form they don't already have but it's quicker and cheaper to do the census than compile that info from other scources.

States and communities that have shrinking populations will spend the next 8 years challenging the results in the courts and then the Census Bureau will compile all the info from other scources anyway to back up their results.
04-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just sent mine back. I only answered question #1 - How many people live in your home. I got to thinking about those stupid commercials - "Sending it back will help determine how many federal dollars will go to your community" The majority of people in my community are criminals, drug dealers, dog fighters... your common community of po'folk. I want to be counted for representation, but could care less about the money going back to po'folk/community. Maybe if their funding gets cut to nothing, they'll move elsewhere. They'd be stupid to start breaking into homes as the attorney general of the state announced that a person would not be prosecuted using lethal force protecting their home. I can count the number of people that I know that don't own a gun on one hand. I have no problem pitching in for bus tickets. Hell, if they're going to take my money and redistribute it, I'd really like it to be far away from here. Kind of like a flies to shit thing.

Last edited by Das Boot; 04-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.
04-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To all those who think the gubmint is going to round you up and send you to a concentration camp if you fill out the census, please, please, please, don't fill it out. The loss of seats in the HoR is just what your state needs. But please do fill out the fake census the RNC sent you. They really need to add to their fundraising database.
04-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
If we're going to be technical it's "homo sapiens sapiens" last I heard... No caps on the genus & species/subspecies components of our taxonomy.

Colloquially speaking we can just be "humans" - well most of us on the forum can claim that anyway (sorry Festus!)

Jim
No apology necessary! Festus thanks you for recognizing his superiority over humans, and Otis will not have to crash your OS and Hard Drive. We are all happy with your astute observation!
It's always best not to go out on a limb too far....unless you are a Squirrel, of course!

Best Regards!
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
To all those who think the gubmint is going to round you up and send you to a concentration camp if you fill out the census, please, please, please, don't fill it out. The loss of seats in the HoR is just what your state needs. But please do fill out the fake census the RNC sent you. They really need to add to their fundraising database.
I really don't care either way, most in my state don't by historical records. We'll just get less federal funding and representation. With that and the $900+ billion bill we got with the health care reform, I guess the poor will get even more poor... what a shame... change they could believe in... Does free health care help starvation?
04-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm having a hard time understanding the objections?

The Founders of the Nation put the Census in the Constitution. Isn't returning your Census form patriotic?

I've had the long form before and... man, is it long! But all that information is used for something important. The long form is distributed on a statistical sample basis, then the results used to compile data at the national average level.

For example, houses tend to be in similar neighborhoods with other houses. If your house has 3 toilets and showers, then most of the other houses in your Zip+4 must have 3 as well. Compile that data on a Metropolitan Statistical Area basis, and you know the carrying capacity needed for the sewage treatment systems for millions of people.

Each other question has a real life practical use, believe it or not.

None of the long form data is tied back to you personally. Only your name(s) addresses, relationship status. Practically all that is avaiable or figure-out-able from the danged White Pages of the phone book: "Mr & Mrs Jim T Jones at 321 Whiteside Drive."

I used to work for a big utility company and we had to lay out conduit, wiring, piping for a 30 year life. The concept was to never have to touch the services once in place. Without some statistical basis to figure out how those services may be used, it's pretty hard to put the pipe in the ground just once and never have to upsize it for 30 years.

In places where resizing has to be done all the time, where the roads are always torn up, you've got poor utility planning. That's what happens when taxes fall too low to hire qualified planners and other employees.

Anyway, if you don't fill it out, they just have to spend more money gathering the data... more of your own tax dollars.
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Constitution's need for a census was to make sure states were represented correctly in the House. It was meant for a head count, nothing more, nothing less. This idea that using it as the be all, end all statistical holy grail is crazy. It is no more acurate than a news network poll. My biggest objection with it is, the census was used to round up Japanese Americans during WWII. That latest abuse was right after 9/11 to identify where Arab Americans resided. What's next? We don't know and I don't really care to know. These cases are both well documented and the Dept of Commerce isn't happy talking about it, but it is true and factual. If they really wanted to make it out like they wanted to save some money, they would have gotten together with the IRS and SS commision and nipped the law abiding citizens on the list in the bud and continue on to the others that are harder to count. As far as me answering more than is needed, it's not going to happen.
Closed Thread