Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So Who's Going to Take Part in the Census?

I don't mind letting the government knowing how many people live in our house, I see the purpose in how we are represented in Washington - it's in the constitution, but I am not willing to provide anything else. The extended survey some folks are getting is extremely intrusive. Asking about the health of all the members in the house in detail, where you get your income (wages, retirement, SSI) and how much, how many cars you own, how much you pay in taxes, if you have a toilet, a shower, etc... It's no one's business but my own and quite frankly, I'm not sharing. They say it's kept private, but I wonder if they told the same thing to the Vietnam draft dodgers that they found using census data or the Japanese Americans they rounded up during WWII? I'm just wondering what you guys think. What do you think about them getting GPS coordinates on your front door?

03-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

The Census

The additional, intrusive, questions are necessary in order for the Annointed Cherub and his Politburo to better plan the complete dismantling of *your* standard of living. The AC is hell-bent-for-leather intent on destroying what remains of a once great and mighty republic, and replacing it with the New Fascist State.

The only information I owe them is how many are you?
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not going to tell them anything about me...but I am going to tell them all about my neighbors.
Regards!
03-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I won't be answering any but the most basic questions...

03-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It is not a legal requirement to answer the question, in Canada you get a fine for not answering them, could goto jail, but I think you would get that if you purposely lied on a form...
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
graphicgr8s

I find the form pretty offensive. I mean if you're not one of the "races" on the form you don't rate? You can be white. You can be black, african american, etc. You can be philipino, or asian or a few others. But if your swedish, or italian, or russian or from latvia it's screw you johnny?
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I find the form pretty offensive. I mean if you're not one of the "races" on the form you don't rate? You can be white. You can be black, african american, etc. You can be philipino, or asian or a few others. But if your swedish, or italian, or russian or from latvia it's screw you johnny?
The whole thing about "race" is generally poorly done, whether it's the census or some other gov't form or almost any corporate form for any purpose. Categories are usually a mix of race and ethnicity, making it pretty well useless. Being black is a race question, being Filipino or Swedish etc isn't racial it's ethnic (ok, it's not even that, it's where your ancestors got run out of...).

I think I'll probably answer some questions and ignore others. Haven't seen it yet so I don't know for sure.

Jim

03-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
The whole thing about "race" is generally poorly done, whether it's the census or some other gov't form or almost any corporate form for any purpose. Categories are usually a mix of race and ethnicity, making it pretty well useless. Being black is a race question, being Filipino or Swedish etc isn't racial it's ethnic (ok, it's not even that, it's where your ancestors got run out of...).

I think I'll probably answer some questions and ignore others. Haven't seen it yet so I don't know for sure.

Jim
Don't know about you but I am part of the Human race. And Monday - Friday part of the rat race. My skin color is lily white even though my grandparents were the olive skin of the Italians on mom's side. My fathers parents were from Russia. so that's the dominant side of my whiteness.

Heres the link to the questions

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

10 minutes to answer 10 questions. Man if it takes that long you may want a brain transplant. I just happen to have the one I am trying to transplant into Rupert if any one's looking for a new one.
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

What's the difference?
It's just confirming what they already know.
And if they don't know it?
Somebody else does.......just a phone call away.
03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I'm pretty sure the government's aware there are a bunch of straight white nominally-Christian dudes around. Your secret is out.

I guess it's different for me: as part of the 'Defense of Marriage Act' ...they aren't even allowed to *ask* how many people are out there to discriminate against.

I suppose people in the majority don't have much to lose, anyway, but despite the fact that there are many people in power in this country who *actually* want to use the government to make this country one in which only certain people are full citizens, ...and yeah, I'd be worried someone like *that* will get in power or get access in some office and use the information to harm me or my family, but, ...well, the prospect of actually *counting* in my own government is just a privilege I can't see why some are in such a hurry to scorn.

If someone can come along and claim 'studies' that say to my government officials that I don't even really *exist* or am 'off somewhere else,' I can't expect much representation, can I?

As for the smaller 'ethnicities' under racial categories, those aren't there to say, 'Filipinos think they're 'better than Italians,' ...it's because there are populations which really just don't fit in the racial categories: Filipinos may individually be treated by various people as darn near any 'race' out there, while being in many ways distinct from any of them.

We may well be proud of our Italian and/or Irish heritage, but for the most part we're just unequivocally treated as 'white people' these days.

These aren't 'real' categories, objectively: they are *perceived* ones that affect a lot of things.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
03-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

"Asking about the health of all the members in the house in detail, where you get your income (wages, retirement, SSI) and how much, how many cars you own, how much you pay in taxes, if you have a toilet, a shower, etc... It's no one's business but my own and quite frankly,

I'm not sharing."

You already have.

Squirreled away on numerous private unregulated corporate business databases is all that info and much much more. In fact it's routine for government agencies, by subpoena, to access this data to complete their investigations because they by law are not allowed to possess data of such depth on an individual American citizen.

If your worried about the threat to your privacy the government is small potatoes - at least they don't have carte blanche to your privacy the way the commercial interests do and have to meet certain legal requirement to access this "private" data.

If you are really all that concerned about your privacy You are barking up the wrong tree.
03-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Don't know about you but I am part of the Human race. And Monday - Friday part of the rat race. My skin color is lily white even though my grandparents were the olive skin of the Italians on mom's side. My fathers parents were from Russia. so that's the dominant side of my whiteness.

Heres the link to the questions

The Questions on the Form - 2010 Census

10 minutes to answer 10 questions. Man if it takes that long you may want a brain transplant. I just happen to have the one I am trying to transplant into Rupert if any one's looking for a new one.
"Human" is a species, not a race I know what you mean about the rat-race though. My skin is more beige than white, I try to get a little bit of sunlight on it!

Pretty innocent questions, overall. Annoying, a bit, but I have far more important things than that to occupy the corner of my brain that's reserved for worry. Of course, I'm sure that excess worrying will be done by lots of others around here!!!

Jim
03-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

"Human" is a species, not a race I know what you mean about the rat-race though. My skin is more beige than white, I try to get a little bit of sunlight on it!

Pretty innocent questions, overall. Annoying, a bit, but I have far more important things than that to occupy the corner of my brain that's reserved for worry. Of course, I'm sure that excess worrying will be done by lots of others around here!!!

Jim
Yeah. Me, I'm over the line into 'Actually melanin-challenged,' here. (May be the chronic illness involved, more than the Irish side, but I haven't tanned since somewhere in puberty I started spotting up instead of tanning at all. Any closer to albinism and I could call myself *Labrat*magiclady. ) But we've had some pretty swarthy people (And someone with a serious Tanorama addiction: yikes) in the family, and everyone was still treated as 'White.' Not that there weren't *ethnic* prejudices around, just that it's kind of a different thing than 'racial issues.'
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here's the long survey, if any of you would like to take a gander. They are threatening to fine people for not filling them out. They said a maximum $5000 could be imposed, but it's funny because the law says not more than $100 for not returning it or not more than $500 for making stuff up. Title 13 Chapter 7 Section 221 if you would like to look it up.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Census Long Form.pdf (402.5 KB, 348 views)
03-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
Here's the long survey, if any of you would like to take a gander. They are threatening to fine people for not filling them out. They said a maximum $5000 could be imposed, but it's funny because the law says not more than $100 for not returning it or not more than $500 for making stuff up. Title 13 Chapter 7 Section 221 if you would like to look it up.
Are you sure you got the right form?

Even if you did Question 2 on person one is just stupid in relation to question 1.

Person ones name?

How is this person related to person one?

Gee that would seem pretty obvious wouldn't it?

---------- Post added 03-10-2010 at 04:45 PM ----------

Jim
Actually isn't the correct term for our species "Homo Sapiens"?
Closed Thread