Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 03:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Yes, because that makes so much sense.

Violent crimes won't stop. And in turn neither would your suggested executions, thus creating more violence.
That reminds me of some comedian who said that we should replace all airbags with a giant spike pointed right at our heart, and then see how quickly we learn to drive in a civil way

Luckily, my truck has the airbag delete option, so I get no spike

03-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
That's a good one Frank. You can't learn when ya dead.
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
I grew up playing games and watching violent movies, and still do when time permits, yet i never once thought it was acceptable to harm another person, and I am pretty sure i am not alone there. I guarantee this behaviour occurred before games and violent movies, we just hear about it now with instant global media. I really hate it when people hear bashing/shooting etc and instantly link it with gaming.
I agree with this part. I'm probably quite young compared to most of you, and I'm probably part of the group of "kids" you all refer to that grew up with violence and gore etc. But it hasn't desensitised me in the least - I close my eyes (or squint ) for gory scenes in movies, I wince when someone gets hurt and I get jelly knees whenever I even think of, let alone see, serious injuries (if any of my friends go - "remember that part in X where they did this?", I'll have to go sit down ). I have no problems with games though - maybe because it's very obviously the "people" being hurt aren't people and don't exist? I think you'd have to be very far gone to mix up a video game with real life, and that involves far more than just playing games and watching some movies.

I would never even think of physically harming another person - I was almost ill when we had to pull off a termite's head and their guts for medical school (I didn't do it after all, and quit med shortly afterwards since it's obviously not for me). However I could see there were a lot of people in the class who took some kind of twisted pleasure in doing it, and this is sort of like (in a mild kind of way) the idiots who think it's fun to beat on someone defenseless (or at all). I guess there's just people who think things like this are ok to do, whether it's a result of upbringing, what they do in their spare time, their innate nature as a person etc., and it's a damn shame we have to live in the same place.
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saien Quote
whether it's a result of upbringing, what they do in their spare time, their innate nature as a person etc.
Upbringing... definitely upbringing. It doesn't matter if it was accidental, unfortunate circumstances or just plain willful negligence, it always comes back to upbringing.

I'll admit that there are certain circumstances where health plays a major part in it too. For example, in many poorer countries where iodine is deficient in the diet of its populace, children are often born with brains that can't develop properly. Cretinism is unfortunate, but even those children can be taught to respect others.

Definitely upbringing... that's one of the few absolutes I'll adhere to in life.

03-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Yes, I also believe upbringing is a very large part of it (and needing licenses to have children would be brilliant ) you also have to admit people are just different. Take my brother for example - we were brought up basically the same, but he is just naturally more, "violence friendly", I guess (or maybe less queasy ) compared to me.
03-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's probably because he had you as a brother
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Take the parents out back of the courthouse and shoot them.