Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
(no high speed at home
Ouch
if I wasn't into photography I could honestly live without high speed, however since I am I really don't think that I could.
My hats off to you, out of respect.

03-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Ouch
if I wasn't into photography I could honestly live without high speed, however since I am I really don't think that I could.
My hats off to you, out of respect.
Back in 1999, DSL became available where I lived (suburb of Montreal, in my parents' basement). I grew addicted to it. This was such a vast improvement over my old 28.8/33.6 dial-up that I'd been using for 5 years. My parents also appreciated getting their phone line back.

When I bought my first home in 2000, it was in a rural area and no form of high speed Internet was available. I was MISERABLE!!! It sucked SO HARD! I ended up getting a second phone line so I could be online 24/7. Of course, I was doing web design as a profession at the time, so that's a consideration. The drop from DSL back to 33.6 dial-up was unbearable, but I somehow survived.

Then in 2003, some guy in a bright yellow Sympatico jacket showed up at my door. Before he even uttered a word, I blurted out "Are you here to offer me DSL?" He was confused, then nodded. I grabbed him by the jacket, yanked him into my house, and ordered him to fill out the contract on the spot. He was shocked, trying to go through his sales pitch even though there was no need. Apparently they have a script, and someone like me tends to destroy that script. I didn't care about any stupid script, I would've paid $100 a month just to get DSL back.

3 months later, DSL was back and my life no longer sucked.

The End

(actually, there was much suckage that is inherent to Bell, but it was resolved over the course of 6 years)

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-14-2010 at 06:05 PM.
03-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #63
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to get DSL. Here in my neck of the Boonies Comcast cable is my only option. I tried to get it installed. The guy showed up late, it was too dark, he left the equipment and said he'd be back in a couple days. 3 weeks later, no cable guy. Then I got a bill. Um. What? So I called and gave them an earful. They cancelled and got the stuff. Then I got another bill. I'm on my third bill, no cable, no DSL. We're still rocking the dialup here. I guess they don't want my money. Well they want my money. They just don't want to give me any service for it.

Good thing the neighbor's unsecured signal reached my laundry room huh.

now back to the crappy wedding photogs?
03-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I tried to get DSL. Here in my neck of the Boonies Comcast cable is my only option. I tried to get it installed. The guy showed up late, it was too dark, he left the equipment and said he'd be back in a couple days. 3 weeks later, no cable guy. Then I got a bill. Um. What? So I called and gave them an earful. They cancelled and got the stuff. Then I got another bill. I'm on my third bill, no cable, no DSL. We're still rocking the dialup here. I guess they don't want my money. Well they want my money. They just don't want to give me any service for it.

Good thing the neighbor's unsecured signal reached my laundry room huh.

now back to the crappy wedding photogs?
pickup the phone... call Brown.... Joe Brown.. ^_^

03-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So what you sayin....I showed my "couger"side?
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
So much for being what you cal a cool cat.