Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Who likes fishing?

Well lookout the anointed one wants to instill UN style zoning to regulate where you can fish.

Classic case of Big Government gone too far.

03-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's right......No more carp for you.
Only fine gefilte fish from Israel.
03-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
That's right......No more carp for you.
Only fine gefilte fish from Israel.
Trout, cobia, sheepshead, snook, redfish for me. Until Big Brother forces us to stop fishing.
03-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just trying to help out the insurance industry.
Get rid of mercury as a pre existing.

03-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK George clue us in . You talking about Fed pelagic limits or state "no fishzones " or what?
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

So what? I don't do much if any fishing and think all fishing should be banned anyhow. Fish are nasty and full of worms and parasites, so unlike my wholesome Possums. Sounds like a first step to me....finally some good news from the Messiah!
Regards!
03-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
OK George clue us in . You talking about Fed pelagic limits or state "no fishzones " or what?
QuoteQuote:
“When the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) completed their successful campaign to convince the Ontario government to end one of the best scientifically managed big game hunts in North America (spring bear), the results of their agenda had severe economic impacts on small family businesses and the tourism economy of communities across northern and central Ontario,” said Phil Morlock, director of environmental affairs for Shimano.

“Now we see NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) and the administration planning the future of recreational fishing access in America based on a similar agenda of these same groups and other Big Green anti-use organizations, through an Executive Order by the President. The current U.S. direction with fishing is a direct parallel to what happened in Canada with hunting: The negative economic impacts on hard working American families and small businesses are being ignored.

“In spite of what we hear daily in the press about the President’s concern for jobs and the economy and contrary to what he stated in the June order creating this process, we have seen no evidence from NOAA or the task force that recreational fishing and related jobs are receiving any priority.”
Is Recreational Fishing Obama's Next Targeted Villain? | The Hayride
03-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

We (Canada) have seasons we can fish, based on the number of fish returning to spawn, or the stock in the waters. There are different seasons for commercial and for public fishing. It's federally managed. Are you saying it is a free for all in the US with no regard to what the impact is?

03-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
We (Canada) have seasons we can fish, based on the number of fish returning to spawn, or the stock in the waters. There are different seasons for commercial and for public fishing. It's federally managed. Are you saying it is a free for all in the US with no regard to what the impact is?
Definitely not a free for all but it is run by each state. Not the federal government. Years ago Florida sportsmen fought for a saltwater fishing license. (Freshwater already had one) This was to hire more Marine Patrol and basically help the fisheries. If you fished from a boat you needed one. From a pier or from shore or wading no license required. Of course with the budget shortfall they made it mandatory for all people fishing to have a license. And the money now goes into the general fund. Thanks Charlie Crist for that load of crapulus.

Back in the 80's blackened redfish was a craze. So commercial guys naturally overfished it and it was on the brink of collapse. Recreational fishermen got it declared a gamefish with a one per day with a slot limit after a few years of not being able to keep any. This fishery is doing great. Another popular fish is a snook. Tampa Bay is about the upper limit for them as they are a warm water species. This year was hard on them. This year was hard on almost all our fish but the snook now can be harvested until August I think. Normally there is a slot limit with 1-2 per day I forget what they changed it to. Snook fishing is like bass fishing and in reality can sometimes be found in freshwater lakes even though they are a saltwater fish. Most other species has some kind of season and some minimum size requirements. a few years ago we got the SOS Save Our Seas put on the Florida Constitution banning nets over a certain size. Netters were decimating fisheries left and right.

One thing you need to realize is fishing is a multi billion dollar industry here. And we like to fish. Most of the guys I know will take enough for a meal. Maybe two. And there are even more now that are practicing catch and release.

All said right now you can fish wherever you want. The big O wants to regulate to the point of specifying where you can fish
03-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Isn't snook fishing kinda like snipe hunting?
Seriously though one major problem with the plan is how they get their data. I've been involved in this before and about 1/2 the time the researchers disregard input from fisherman who know the area.
03-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My favourite kind of fishing is the humane "catch and release". It's so much more kind to the fish.

I imagine myself coming upon a magically floating cheeseburger in the middle of the street, reaching for it and eating it (it's not on the ground, so why not?) All of a sudden, this GIANT METAL HOOK rips through my gums and out my nose and yanks me far, far into the sky! As I reach the end of breathable oxygen and start suffocating to death, I hear the booming voice of some alien saying "bah, he's too small, throw him back. It's the kind thing to do". The hook gets ripped out of my mouth, leaving a fountain of gushing blood, and I get tossed nonchalantly back towards the earth, where I luckily land in a giant body of water. But the impact is so severe, a couple of my limbs get ripped off.

Yeah... catch-and-release... that's the only way to fish.

edit: "catch and release" is awesome (this adds consistency to my following post)

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-11-2010 at 02:02 AM.
03-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Have you heard of food Frank? Fish for humans mostly serve this purpose.

Havn't you heard that Nirvana song?

(&) You are on a posting frenzy man!
03-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Have you heard of food Frank? Fish for humans mostly serve this purpose.
I got nothing against fishing! I don't eat much fish myself, but I see nothing wrong with it. It's a very fun pastime... lots of sitting there in a rickety boat or on a stinky shore being harassed by mosquitoes while the sun burns away my awesome complexion just so I can yank on a stick when I feel it moving and hope for the best. Seriously, it's a righteous good time. I only wish I'd tried it more often.

Besides, didn't I clearly state that "catch and release" is awesome? It says so right there in my last post.

Havn't you heard that Nirvana song?
Other than "Smells Like Teen Spirit", I have a hard time remembering any Nirvana songs. I hated "Come As You Are" and "Heart-Shaped Box". I was more into heavy guitar riffs and awesome drum beats back then, lyrics came a distant 10th. Funny how that's changed now...

(&) You are on a posting frenzy man!
Someone pointed out earlier that I was nearing 1000 posts, so now that's my new goal. Once I've accomplished it, my life is bound to seem more complete and fulfilling. I can't imagine how reaching 1000 posts WON'T improve my life.

...we do get paid $0.05 per post, right? That was my impression...
03-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Someone pointed out earlier that I was nearing 1000 posts, so now that's my new goal.
So, you are one day away.. to be exact.

Nirvana truly is a great band. I was a child in the 90s though if you want to yell biased.

-It's okay to eat fish
-'Cause they don't have any feelings
03-11-2010, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG, OMG, guys dressed in black are gonna come and take away my fly-rods! True, they're useless anyway: the old trout stream is an open sewer (gotta keep taxes down so there's no money for infrastructure) and the Chesapeake is choked with chicken waste (can't impede free enterprise) but it's the principle of the thing.

I'm gonna stock up on #16 Light Cahills (and not the barbless kind either) and make a stand: Remember the Alamo!