Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Academics

In my short stay at these forums, I've noticed that the average user is quite a bit older than myself, who is still an undergrad in college. Luckily we all can still relate on photography, but I'm wondering what other college students are out there on these forums? In particular, any students, or perhaps even, professionals out there involved in healthcare? A bit random, I know, but that's hopefully what I'll be getting into.

I'm a 2nd year molecular biology and psychology student at UIUC. What schools do/did you all go to? Would love to hear about your experiences at college, related or not to photography!

03-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #2

Im up right now studying for a philosophy exam
03-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Funny you should mention exams. I have a sociology exam tomorrow, which I'm procrastinating studying for at the moment. Ah well, better get on that...
03-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm a second year college student in California.

03-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm always a student, but not at an educational institution. I LOVE learning new things all the time. Just look at my profile... and I've only listed about half my hobbies/careers in there. From IT to auto body, I've tried it all and I continue to do so.

On the other hand, I despise schools in general and would rather never step into one again if I can help it. I find the environment of schools stifling. They kill my will to learn.

My wife is an optometrist. She went to University of Waterloo for 4 years (undergrad) followed by 4 years at IU to become an O.D. She graduated in 2003 and has been practicing ever since. Hard to believe that was almost 7 years ago now...

You just made me feel old, and I'm not even that old
03-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I graduated with a bachelor degree in computer science in 2007.
I think you will find there are quite a few students on here, and people in their early twenties (not me anymore, just )
Have a look around, there's a poll somewhere which gives a good idea of the spread of age for the forums
03-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I appreciate that it must come as a shock to realise that wrinklies can use pooters too but the machines have been around for quite a while now, my old man used to work the beasts half a century ago using nothing but machine code and a bucket or two of coal!

Funny thing is that the way back in my college days we were introduced to the delights of Visicalc on a machine that just displayed text, has Excel added much over the intervening years except a RAMful of pretty graphics? Not really, no, and I still use it exactly the same way now as I did then.

BTW, just been invited to a college 25 year anniversary reunion. AARRRGGGGG!!!

Last edited by justinr; 03-11-2010 at 03:20 AM.
03-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
On the other hand, I despise schools in general and would rather never step into one again if I can help it. I find the environment of schools stifling. They kill my will to learn.
I'm always being sent to the corner, given detention, and being told to stay after class. Oddly enough I like it
However it's different later in life, when your dating a teacher
03-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

Well at 50 I am wishing I could afford to go back to school. Don't know what I'd study but I love learning. Maybe theology. Or physics again. But alas with a 10 month old money is tight. Even tighter is spare time.
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
I appreciate that it must come as a shock to realise that wrinklies can use pooters too but the machines have been around for quite a while now, my old man used to work the beasts half a century ago using nothing but machine code and a bucket or two of coal!

Funny thing is that the way back in my college days we were introduced to the delights of Visicalc on a machine that just displayed text, has Excel added much over the intervening years except a RAMful of pretty graphics? Not really, no, and I still use it exactly the same way now as I did then.

BTW, just been invited to a college 25 year anniversary reunion. AARRRGGGGG!!!
pfft, what is this "display" thing but a newfangled way of amusing the kiddies... REAL computers punch paper tapes and card decks!

(yes I have worked with computers that used paper tapes & cards as input & output... even one that was booted up by entering the load sequence on the front panel toggle keys so it could load the boot program from paper tape and then initialize itself enough to find the 10MB disk drive - a drive the size of an average dishwashing machine...)

BS in Geology, '84, U. Washington
13 yrs as USAF computer jockey & commo officer
MS in Hydrogeology, '00, U. Nebraska

Jim
03-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
pfft, what is this "display" thing but a newfangled way of amusing the kiddies... REAL computers punch paper tapes and card decks!

(yes I have worked with computers that used paper tapes & cards as input & output... even one that was booted up by entering the load sequence on the front panel toggle keys so it could load the boot program from paper tape and then initialize itself enough to find the 10MB disk drive - a drive the size of an average dishwashing machine...)

BS in Geology, '84, U. Washington
13 yrs as USAF computer jockey & commo officer
MS in Hydrogeology, '00, U. Nebraska

Jim
Hydrogeology? Nebraska? Wouldn't have had anything to do with the sand hills, would it? My hydrology prof was obsessed with the Neb Sand hills and the time he spent out there studying the water under them. Unfortunately, I don't remember what about it he was so obsessed about there. Its only been a few years since I graduated from an agricultural env engineering program, but certain things get blurry in a hurry when you don't end up in that field.

As far as the thread goes, I received my BS a few years ago. Just long enough ago that I probably wouldn't know anyone if I visited the ole college town...
03-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
Inactive Account

"So, Lithos, what did you think of Virginia Woolfe's To The Lighthouse?"

"I think the only reason Woolfe ever got published was because she was f*cking her publisher."

*silence*
03-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
Hydrogeology? Nebraska? Wouldn't have had anything to do with the sand hills, would it? My hydrology prof was obsessed with the Neb Sand hills and the time he spent out there studying the water under them. Unfortunately, I don't remember what about it he was so obsessed about there. Its only been a few years since I graduated from an agricultural env engineering program, but certain things get blurry in a hurry when you don't end up in that field.

As far as the thread goes, I received my BS a few years ago. Just long enough ago that I probably wouldn't know anyone if I visited the ole college town...
The Sand Hills is pretty interesting as far as water goes, so I can understand that... My thesis work was doing some computer modeling to see if rainfall and roadside drainage ditches could affect riverbank erosion and the migration of a meander, though. Nothing to do with the Sand Hills, it was a site down in SE Nebraska along the Little Nemaha River. :-)

Jim
03-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter

There's a few college students that haven't seen this thread (I think Stevopedia goes to Clemson) and there are also a few high school students around.
03-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
In my short stay at these forums, I've noticed that the average user is quite a bit older than myself, who is still an undergrad in college. Luckily we all can still relate on photography, but I'm wondering what other college students are out there on these forums? In particular, any students, or perhaps even, professionals out there involved in healthcare? A bit random, I know, but that's hopefully what I'll be getting into.

I'm a 2nd year molecular biology and psychology student at UIUC. What schools do/did you all go to? Would love to hear about your experiences at college, related or not to photography!
Wshi: Ah a fellow Big Ten member. Indiana University Bloomington grad, but we can still be friends right? (for others: there is a nasty feud between neighbor states involving a certain round ball.) Anyway, I graduated from IU School of Medicine in 1995. Medicine is a long and lonely road. A lot of sacrifices must be made. My advice:

1. Consider another career. Just kidding...not really.
2. Enjoy college!!!!! I really regret not spending more time living the college experience. Though UIUC is not as wonderful or beautiful as IU Bloomington, you still can have fun.
3. If you are considering medical school, definitely drop psych and go for the double major with business. I am not joking on this one. A business background or MBA even better will really help you.
4. If you like straightening things and like say teeth, go directly to Orthodontics
5. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.