deleted- it would just get closed anyway

03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why's that?
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It had George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV.
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
It had George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV.
No but I think a 7 things you can't say on PF would be fun on 5/12 in honor of Carlin on his birthday.

Actually I posted a link to an article about a Mississippi county high school being bullied by an 18 year old lesbian and the ACLU. Then I figured I'd be accused of homophobia which would piss me off and the thread would degenerate into a flame war like so many others have.

03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You mean, the story about a Mississippi high school that canceled a prom rather than let lesbians attend? Then pointed and told the rest of the students, 'She did this!?' ...Encouraged people to have a privatized prom that could legally-discriminate?

That mean old ACLU... Pushing those nice people around.....

Yah.
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Actually I posted a link to an article about a Mississippi county high school being bullied by an 18 year old lesbian and the ACLU. Then I figured I'd be accused of homophobia which would piss me off and the thread would degenerate into a flame war like so many others have.
Oh, I can hardly wait for this.
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You mean, the story about a Mississippi high school that canceled a prom rather than let lesbians attend? Then pointed and told the rest of the students, 'She did this!?' ...Encouraged people to have a privatized prom that could legally-discriminate?

That mean old ACLU... Pushing those nice people around.....

Yah.
Gee none of the articles I saw had that spin on the story!
I do think that 1 young lady dictating policy to a whole county is a little absurd.

Last edited by seacapt; 03-11-2010 at 04:10 PM.
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Gee none of the articles I saw had that spin on the story!
I do think that 1 young lady dictating policy to a whole county is a little absurd.
I don't know how that's 'spin,' that's what happened.

You assume everyone there is a homophobe, apparently. I mean, it is Mississippi, but she wasn't 'dictating policy:' she wanted to attend her own prom with her date like everyone else can.

What next, desegregation? Interracial couples at a dance? Those were called 'against God' by some 'majorities,' too, not too long ago, after all. Naughty old ACLU.
03-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

I don't know how that's 'spin,' that's what happened.

You assume everyone there is a homophobe, apparently. I mean, it is Mississippi, but she wasn't 'dictating policy:' she wanted to attend her own prom with her date like everyone else can.

What next, desegregation? Interracial couples at a dance? Those were called 'against God' by some 'majorities,' too, not too long ago, after all. Naughty old ACLU.
But she wanted to wear a tux. Maybe there was a dress code.

In all likelyhood her friends knew she was gay. She and her girl should have just met up at the prom and everyone would have been happy. Maybe she's an RML protege
03-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You assume everyone there is a homophobe,
No , it is HS and all the kids proably have been aware of her orientaion for some time. There was no mention of previous chastization or discrimination.
she wanted to attend her own prom with her date like everyone else
No, she wanted to make a statement . She could have simply gone to the prom with her girlfriend without sensationallizing it. Doesn't it seem odd that all this hoopla started so far in advance of the actual dance? Most HS kids aren't sure if they will go to the prom or with who til a few weeks before and then there are still some last minute shake ups. How did the ACLU jump on this sooo quickly? Kinda makes me wonder.
The problem as I see it is that in society people sometimes have to conform to commonly accepted standards when in public. This girl is of legal age of consent but is her girlfriend ? There is no mention. If a nudist kid wanted to go to the prom with his tallywhacker hanging out would that be OK? Gang colors acceptable prom attire?
How about hypothetically a young lady had a thing for old guys and bought a pedophile for a date ? All of these are unacceptable in part because they would detract from the experience of 99% of the group .
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like little Constance is a bit of an attention seeker .
I really doubt her prime motivation was just to go to the prom and have a magical evening with her HS sweetheart.
03-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The ACLU!
Coming to take away your FISH!
Bwahahahaha.
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The problem as I see it is that in society people sometimes have to conform to commonly accepted standards when in public. This girl is of legal age of consent but is her girlfriend ? There is no mention. If a nudist kid wanted to go to the prom with his tallywhacker hanging out would that be OK? Gang colors acceptable prom attire?

How about hypothetically a young lady had a thing for old guys and bought a pedophile for a date ? All of these are unacceptable in part because they would detract from the experience of 99% of the group .
There you go associating LBGT kids with *pedophiles, criminals, exhibitionists,* *assuming her date might be underage for sex, which assumes... What, sex has to happen to go to a dance, anyway?* I was queer in high school, *I* didn't have sex.

Who says it's that kind of relationship, anyway?

( I mean, we *were* going to show up to my prom in tuxes and pink sneakers, probably would have caught them off guard, ...they'd all stand gaping. Cause I wouldn't be carrying a camera. Since no one was 'out,' and it was me, they wouldn't know if I was just messing with them. It was the 80's. They'd probably chalk it up to New Wave. ) Probably actually would have been fun: one thing about that place, was the prom was a notorious pressure valve. Few of any kind took it seriously, and they were more worried about the 'normals' showing up totally lit in Winnebagos than anything 'the freaks' did. (Being a runaway, well, I couldn't make it, anyway.)

You also again, presume that it would 'detract from the experience of 99 percent of the people there,' when I highly doubt you'll find a majority of students in this day and age who would want her barred from her own prom, never mind think it was worth shutting the whole thing down for.

As for the timing, since when do high school kids not gossip about prom dates and plans? What, she's supposed to be different or 'Don't ask, don't tell' about it to avoid you calling her an 'attention seeker?' Some schools do actually register tickets, and it's happened quite often before in other places that LGBT kids turn up at the prom only to be turned away at the door after all the plans and expense and getting all psyched for it.

What a high school memory, you know? Who wants to gamble on that heartbreak?

QuoteQuote:
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like little Constance is a bit of an attention seeker .
I really doubt her prime motivation was just to go to the prom and have a magical evening with her HS sweetheart.
Frankly, I think what 'seems' to you is always negative and ....imaginary, when it comes to LBGT people.

There's a word for that.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-11-2010 at 07:46 PM.
03-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

silly kids...........Why can't they just conform!!!!!!
Every kid tries to make a statement at prom. Just how it is.

Age of concent? Now you're just makin' things up.
Besides, What's the age down there.......12?

ACLU is gonna win this one....!
03-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rat - the tuxes and pink hightops would have been cool.
Back in the 80's while you were in HS I was working my way through college in Ithaca NY a very liberal city. I worked bars , restaurants and security. One of my favorite bosses was a woman who made her money working the pipline in Alaska. I'll never forget the day she told me I had to come up with a menu item named after one of her dearest friends . My response to her was " What the hell would you like me to put on a plate and call a Leather Alice with Spurs? We laughed , we were friends.
There is a small tribe of people who have known me over the years that would refute your allmost calling me a homophobe.
Now back to the topic, If these two just wanted to go to the prom and have fun (kinda like it sounds you and your friend wanted to) I just can't believe this much turmoil would have resulted. It seems there had to be some showboating and antagonization going on pobably by both sides. This little girl was out to show the world how it should be and gain some time in the limelight while she was at it.
There is a word for that!

Last edited by seacapt; 03-11-2010 at 09:20 PM.
03-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I would think......Normal?
At least within the bell curve.
Closed Thread