Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The US Dapartment of Education need 27 new short barrelled shotguns

US Department of Education (ED) intends to purchase twenty-seven...

The Department of Education???? Can anyone explain why the Department of Education needs shotguns? Perhaps there's a good reason, but I just can't think of one. Perhaps it's necessary to have one when apprehending a kindergarten boy for sexually assaulting (kissing) a little girl.

03-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

To shoot the kids that bring guns to school of course. NRA 101...more guns solves the problem...
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
To shoot the kids that bring guns to school of course. NRA 101...more guns solves the problem...
Nope! The US Department of Educations does not have employees resident in the schools.
03-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote

The Department of Education???? Can anyone explain why the Department of Education needs shotguns?
Perhaps things would have been different at Ohio State the other day if they had had a couple, maybe at Virginia Tech here a while back, oh yeah, there was also Columbine HS. Maybe they are worried about some nut case walking up to the front door with a loaded gun. But I guess you are right, couldn't happen at the Department of Education.

03-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Perhaps things would have been different at Ohio State the other day if they had had a couple, maybe at Virginia Tech here a while back, oh yeah, there was also Columbine HS. Maybe they are worried about some nut case walking up to the front door with a loaded gun. But I guess you are right, couldn't happen at the Department of Education.
You don't need guns to thwart those attacks, all you need is stricter gun laws.

03-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just plant A bombs in all the schools.
We have no crazy people here.....just criminals.
They break in? Blow the place up!
Kids don't matter.
03-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The Department of Education???? Can anyone explain why the Department of Education needs shotguns? Perhaps there's a good reason, but I just can't think of one. Perhaps it's necessary to have one when apprehending a kindergarten boy for sexually assaulting (kissing) a little girl.
Since the link points to contracting info only, why not ask the person who's listed as the receiving party? For sure nobody HERE is going to know why these folks think they need 'em.

For the record, I doubt they really need these...

Jim

03-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Since the link points to contracting info only, why not ask the person who's listed as the receiving party? For sure nobody HERE is going to know why these folks think they need 'em.

For the record, I doubt they really need these...

Jim
I know why they think they need them. I just wondered if anyone here could think of a good reason to arm our educators.
03-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I know why they think they need them. I just wondered if anyone here could think of a good reason to arm our educators.
You know why? Please tell us then. Or do you have an opinion on why they think they need them?

Jim
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Its part of the "No Child Left Behind" program.
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
You know why? Please tell us then. Or do you have an opinion on why they think they need them?

Jim
I know why they think they need them. I personally can't imagine that they would actually need a shotgun for that purpose, but I guess local school boards and states cannot be trusted to properly handle the money that they dole out.

The shotguns are going to the Chicago office of the ED Inspector General. The IG is charged with investigating allegations of waste, fraud and abuse and, as such, has statutory law enforcement authority. That gives them the right to arm themselves in the performance of their duties.

But, I still don't understand the need for shotguns in order to investigate the recipients of federal education funding, who, for the most part, are local and state governments.

I still don't know why the really need short-barreled shotguns for this purpose.
03-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I know why they think they need them. I personally can't imagine that they would actually need a shotgun for that purpose, but I guess local school boards and states cannot be trusted to properly handle the money that they dole out.

The shotguns are going to the Chicago office of the ED Inspector General. The IG is charged with investigating allegations of waste, fraud and abuse and, as such, has statutory law enforcement authority. That gives them the right to arm themselves in the performance of their duties.

But, I still don't understand the need for shotguns in order to investigate the recipients of federal education funding, who, for the most part, are local and state governments.

I still don't know why the really need short-barreled shotguns for this purpose.
Room entry? Lockbreaking shells? Nonlethal rounds?

People caught in crimes have a tendency to occasionally do some pretty irrational things, and, frankly, where there's embezzlement, there may be money-laundering, which may mean organized crime.
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
..........where there's embezzlement, there may be money-laundering, which may mean organized crime.
Organized Crime? In Chicago? That could never be.
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I thought most of you were ok with the government having all of the weapons.... besides it sounds like they already have an extensive arsenal including "armor"
03-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I thought most of you were ok with the government having all of the weapons.... besides it sounds like they already have an extensive arsenal including "armor"
I think that the Dapartment of Homeland Security will have no worries over a shortage of ammunition.

"Winchester Ammunition was recently awarded a contract by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security to supply a maximum of 200 million, 40 cal. rounds over the next five years."