Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
No. I used to use Asics Gel Nimbus for a while after taking up running again 3 years ago, but after a year or two I decided that they were (at least in my huge size) not "firm" enough, much like (but not quite as bad as) the Vomeros. In addition, my last pair of Nimbuses only lasted 100 kms before my difficult heels tore a hole in the inner heel fabric. My Mizunos have lasted a little longer there, but in the end I had to find a solution so I wouldn't have to change shoes every 200 kms - how were I to satisfy my LBA if I had to buy new expensive running shoes every 3 months?

Here's the solution I found - I've used these for about 150 kms since then - without replacing the duct tape I also ran my first half marathon in September with a (different) pair of duct-taped Mizunos.

I used to do silly things with my shoes but yours takes the cake. I prefer trainers since I hit the gym as well, but runners are not that bad either. I would guess that Lunarlon won't last that long either with your use but depending on how much you think $100 is worth to you. I find Underarmour really good and I don't know how much it costs there or if they are available in your area, but they cost a fraction less than most runners are. the new Adidas cushion system btw is called Boost and I have to see how they work.

03-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I used to do silly things with my shoes but yours takes the cake.
But it's not really silly - they were not usable any more, the hole in the heel fabric and cushioning gave instant blisters. I filled the hole with a bit of soft cotton before taping with the duct tape
03-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #288
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Damn it! I was patting myself on the back for walking around in Home Depot for an hour today!

Regards!
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Damn it! I was patting myself on the back for walking around in Home Depot for an hour today!

Regards!
I was practically up for more than 24 hours (30 hours to be precise) and did practically work then spend all day out with my family walking and traveling (previous day I went on a 2hour gym workout in the morning btw). I was drained literally that I have to be fueled by drinking soda, chocolate shakes and eclairs just to rejuvenate my each time I'm about to fall in a trance. by the time we got home for dinner, I was practically lights out from 10p.m. to 7a.m. and yes, my whole body was sore when I woke up. right now I'm back to full charge but felt quite lazy and wanted just to stay home, watch tv, do a few paperworks, clean up the computer both physically and internally (harddrive cleanup), work on some photos and do some photography indoors. I guess I'm still pretty pumped up.

03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #290
Veteran Member

Let me share my latest story (i have lost and gained more than some of you weigh over the last decade), just in case some of think you're too old. I am 54 years old , 6'2" (and shrinking). I work from home on the computer, sit on my ass all day. Last summer , July 2012 I was 261lbs, size 40 waist was tight. I was out of shape but 'carried' it well (aside from the gut) .

In July 2012 a friend and I joined this boot camp. We went twice a week from July - August. In those two months I figured I was more or less maintaining. Between summer 'beer ball' and general summer weekend on the deck I was lucky to break even (calorie / weight wise, etc). Even at only 2 days a week, I was sore for weeks. I felt burning sensations and was just amazed at how sore I was for weeks and weeks. I have never grunted and groaned more in my life. This was a direct result of using some muscles that have been hiding for years

In September it was time to sign up again or quit. I upped the ante and started 4 days a week. I have been doing 4 days a week since , with Christmas breaks and some time off for holidays. I am the oldest at the boot camp, the slowest at camp (especially at cross-fit class) - but I am old enough to do what I can do while still pushing myself to the point of not getting hurt.

Today I am still at it , 4 nights a week. I will slow down during the summer and probably drop down to 2 or 3 a week. I have entered a Spartan Race in August. It's just a 5K race but goggle it, it will be a challenge.

My stats today are I am still 54 years old (damn!) probably still 6'2" (ha!) I weigh in at 223lbs and now 36 inch waist is starting to feel loose. XL Shirts are now L ....

It has been hard, it is still hard. So perhaps this will motivate someone else. I'm an old fart (to some , a relative young man to others). I feel so much better , it has been and is so worth it. I still cringe every night just before I have to drag my ass to camp, but I do it. I have new goals to achieve now and look forward to them. I feel I have found my maintenance mode I think I have lost and gained before always on my own. This time it's different (better work outs not just cardio for one).

So the moral is - one has to just do it - now let me go get some cheesies I eat healthier most days but on nights out for beers and or Pizza I partake - I justify it as I work out so I can enjoy a beer or two or three and some wings , etc .... some of you may have seen the "Guy-et" commercial well that's me
05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #291

I gave about 13 kilos in 3-4 months with cutting 3 whites. I'm glad I preserved my weight about 15 months without any sports