Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Time Stood Still

I am currently on holidays in europe, my first real foray into my photography since i geared up a few months ago... I have come to absolutely love my DA35mm ltd, to the point i felt bad for not using my tammy 18-250mm. So i am in Rome at the top of some stairs near the Roman Forum. Scene is set, i decide to change lenses, get the 18-250 on the K-7 and get the caps on my 35mm ltd, and then it happens..... it slips... it drops misses the grass and falls on the concrete step, i froze. I dont know why i froze but i didn't move a muscle. Standing there open mouthed perfectly still camera in one hand backpack slung over my other shoulder watching my very expensive, favourite lens roll down the stairs... My absolutely fantastic amazing and wonderful wife heard an apparent girlish squeek emmited by myself, turned and saw the lens, she proceeded to launch herself down the stairs and rescued the lens about 8 steps down.

After my heart attack closely inspected said lens and took a million random shots trying the autofocus etc.... lens still works flawlessly and only one tiny bit of paint chipped off. I was very very lucky.

And my wife is awesome. Just though i would share

03-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a well built lens, you now need to buy your wife something nice with the money you would have had to spend on a new lens, or at least that's how it would work in my world!
03-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
or i could give her a hug and a kiss and then buy the sigma 50mm F1.4 or the DA* 50-135
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Very lucky and glad that dodn't ruin the trip. Now you have to post some pictures from Rome!

03-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing the first words you uttered were something like "aw shucks" or "gee whiz". Right?
03-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LOL awesome glad to hear the lens was fine. Good reaction by your wife. I agree with icywarm gotta buy her a present or take her out to dinner for that one.

Worst I ever did with lenses was drop them into snow. But my k200d took a fall onto concrete from about 5 ft up - it didn't work for a few hours but then came back to life.
03-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this mental image now of your wife diving full stretch after the lens ....down the steps....very impressive.

If you know the game of cricket at all, we would put your wife at first or second slip.

I have to send my DFA 100 in for a check soon...that rolled out of the back of my 4wd wagon and onto earth, but it hit with a pretty serious thud and didn't roll. Hasn't been quite the same since with regards to sharpness.

I'll have to pass this story onto my wife, just so as she understands what is now required to keep up the standard.

03-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Very lucky and glad that dodn't ruin the trip. Now you have to post some pictures from Rome!
I will once i finish sorting through them all. I kinda stopped sorting after 1 weeks worth of photo's, i need to psych my self up to finish the next 4

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm guessing the first words you uttered were something like "aw shucks" or "gee whiz". Right?
Apparently (according to the wife) it was the one time i just had nothing to say, i was quiet and sulky until i found somewhere to sit down properly and assess the damage (and subsequent lack thereof).

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
LOL awesome glad to hear the lens was fine. Good reaction by your wife. I agree with icywarm gotta buy her a present or take her out to dinner for that one.

Worst I ever did with lenses was drop them into snow. But my k200d took a fall onto concrete from about 5 ft up - it didn't work for a few hours but then came back to life.
5ft to concrete with that mass its lucky it didn't break, bet they were a tense few hours till it kicked back in. The upside of my story is I am SOOO much more careful than i was
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote

I have this mental image now of your wife diving full stretch after the lens ....down the steps....very impressive.

If you know the game of cricket at all, we would put your wife at first or second slip.

I have to send my DFA 100 in for a check soon...that rolled out of the back of my 4wd wagon and onto earth, but it hit with a pretty serious thud and didn't roll. Hasn't been quite the same since with regards to sharpness.

I'll have to pass this story onto my wife, just so as she understands what is now required to keep up the standard.
She moved quite fast, definite slips material Sad about your lens, hope they can fix it.
03-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Your wife's a champ

I guess you won't be changing lenses at the top of concrete steps anymore..
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

What were you thinking?

I would have lied and said it was broken, so you had an excuse to buy a new lens. After you got the new one (not the same model), I would have said I was going to TRY to repair the old one, but who knows. Then a week or two later, get all happy and excited and act and lie like you fixed it.

Do I have to teach you everything!?
03-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Ira why do I get the feeling your wife might hire a private detective periodically to see what you're up to?
03-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ira, you are my new favourite evil genius. I think you need to teach us all, I look forward to the Ira's guide thread .
Although if its less than $300 I work on a solid buy it and lightly hide it till she finds it policy that has worked fabulously for years. Lens i just bought on ebay $70 and she will never know.