Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I one day plan on saving enough $ to buy that wining lotto ticket

For some reason I want one kid, and my girlfriend wants 3
If things work out with her we'll have to talk... and possibly agree somewhere in the middle
Discuss it again after the one kid, I would say 3 weeks after is a good amount of time. At that point she should still be saying like hell I will do this again. Dont wait too long because she will start to realize she can handle it lol

03-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #17
BPT
Veteran Member

5 years from now my wife is planning on going back to work. In a few years she is going to start studying library technology then she is going to go for a job in a library somewhere. I hope this works for her as it is what she want s to do

So in 5 years once my wife decides to stop being lazy and work for a living since she stays home and plays with the kids all the time it will give us a bit more budget to pay down the mortgage and student loans.

I am kidding about the lazy thing before I am drawn and quartered lol.
03-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I'll tell you what, Northern Vermont is the awesomest place to live free and get along with everyone. Being right near a decent-sized University means people are totally open-minded and a vast diversity of people are here 9 months out of the year. They even embrace my Quebecness, which is rare.

Well, people being from Quebec never bothered me. There's kind of a reputation they don't like anyone *else* though. I haven't spent a lot of time that far north, so I wasn't aware of any really big border tension.

College towns are a pretty likely kind of destination, in general, they tend to have the work for my sweetie, and there's enough going on without being all big-city, which is good. As long as you're fortunate enough to have a good circle of friends, not bad at all. I think it'd be a good place for us.

Cheerful thought, though, Vermont: They seem to be doing good stuff with that state, in general: preserving and revitalizing town centers instead of encouraging sprawl, green stuff, and it'd frankly be a whole less stressful not having to worry so much about the state government flaking out and doing mean and/or stupid things every time you turn around. (Or being immobilized *by* people trying to do mean and/or stupid things. ) We could see a lot of our scattered friends by train from there, adopt a doggie or two like we've always wanted, the tourist dollars aren't quite as threatened there as in some other places we've been, which means more cash in the local economy for my little enterprises. Plenty of that niche wedding market to serve if I can get my health reliable enough to promise showing up in good shooting trim.

Lots of good possibilities. Northern New England is one of the areas we like, though. Just for me, there's coping with the winters, but I can hack that, I think. Not like there's a whole lot of choice as yet. I really don't like all this not-knowing-where-we'll be for-how-long, but we're pretty anxious to get the heck out of the South. Wasn't our idea to come down here, anyway, but the people swinging the budget axes aren't exactly science and education-friendly, nor to this town, ...which it seems they'd just as soon strangle. (At least as an artsy college town: I'm sure the sprawl-developers like this state of affairs just fine, but it's a mess and the city's split by gerrymandered districts so the 'libruls' don't have much say in things, despite the leanings of the town. Basically, the scam is, the tax law is so set up that no matter how many businesses close downtown, the rents stay jacked way up: the big property owners write off that huge rent they aren't getting and the inflated values, fund more speculative development of other things outside town, effectively tax-free/subsidized even if *those* are empty, so only as many high-end venues and boutiques as the downtown can support (Which doesn't, obviously, account for all the space) can start or stay open... which tends to mean that the vaunted arts and alternative scene and what made the place *interesting*/livable is stifled.

Especially if they turn around and impoverish the University, and thus the students, thus, surely, those high-end boutiques, this is the picture of an unsustainable situation I don't care to stick around for, basically. It's always a hazard of artsy communities: the artsy types raise property values, then richer people want to live there, eventually the artists get priced out and you're left with mere gentrification. By the look of the place, it should be a beacon of opportunity for new and offbeat business, but 'supply and demand' won't adjust that way cause of how things are skewed.

'Taxes' are a sacred cow here, apart from regressive ones like sales taxes on food and 'sin taxes' (Which may be fine for public health, but they're *designed* to cut off their own revenue stream and thus never meet budget expectations, while taking yet more money out of the poorer folks' budgets, again depressing local business) That's before we get into who of course has to deal with the social tensions and scapegoating that arise in conservative communities when this kind of stuff inevitably results in less-than-happy people.

(Anyway, not meaning to start a debate on the rightness or wrongness of the politics, but suffice it to say that I don't think the undeniable and ongoing economic effects on a place like this are a situation I want us to get stuck in. We're both really considering cutting our losses and getting back to sovereign U.S. territory. Simple facts: this state legislature passed a bill to claim they reserve the right to ignore Federal law, particularly including civil rights law, whenever they darn well feel like it. For all the time and resources and effort that have gone into sweetie's degree, we're playing 'chicken' with time and way too many factors to even be sure it'll get finished down here. (Yeah, it's pretty stressy.) These bones and hands and heart still have plenty of 'part of the solution' left in em, but aren't quite up to that *after* being treated like we're 'a problem.' ) 'It could only be worse in Texas,' right?

Might actually end up PMing you with some questions if you're very familiar with Nothern Vermont area, though, Goreman.
03-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I HAD a plan. <snip> Plan B. <snip>
Sorry to hear about reeftool , however sounds like you are looking at the bright side and making adjustments. You have to be very dynmaic I think in today's economy, I mean all I can tell you for sure I am employed today , tomorrow is another day (while my employment is likely more stable than that - it can change that quickly as well). Carry on my friend and here's to warmer days and a graduated duaghter.

03-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My historic 2nd home in a quaint (bizarre) lively ex-mining town in southern Arizona, 10 minutes from Mexico, is now for sale (google TOLAND ADOBE BISBEE ARIZONA) for a very reasonable price. Now is the season that refugees from Sask, Quebec, Vermont, the Dakotas etc thrive there. And it's not too hot in summer, being at 5500 feet. Forget the snow-blower; bring sandals and cameras. It's a terrific place to poke lenses everywhere, one of the most photogenic locales I know of this side of Zacatecas or Taxco or Antigua Guatemala. When you roll thru Bisbee's TIME TUNNEL, you know you're not in Kansas anymore.

http://bisbee.klaxo.net
That would be paradise, to me. I love the desert. I have lived in the high desert and can even overlook a little snow under those conditions.
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I HAD a plan.
Whelp, sounds like everything's hunky-dory for you!

(I always wish there was something I could do to help people who fall on bad times )
03-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, people being from Quebec never bothered me. There's kind of a reputation they don't like anyone *else* though. I haven't spent a lot of time that far north, so I wasn't aware of any really big border tension.

College towns are a pretty likely kind of destination, in general, they tend to have the work for my sweetie, and there's enough going on without being all big-city, which is good. As long as you're fortunate enough to have a good circle of friends, not bad at all. I think it'd be a good place for us.

Cheerful thought, though, Vermont: They seem to be doing good stuff with that state, in general: preserving and revitalizing town centers instead of encouraging sprawl, green stuff, and it'd frankly be a whole less stressful not having to worry so much about the state government flaking out and doing mean and/or stupid things every time you turn around. (Or being immobilized *by* people trying to do mean and/or stupid things. ) We could see a lot of our scattered friends by train from there, adopt a doggie or two like we've always wanted, the tourist dollars aren't quite as threatened there as in some other places we've been, which means more cash in the local economy for my little enterprises. Plenty of that niche wedding market to serve if I can get my health reliable enough to promise showing up in good shooting trim.

Lots of good possibilities. Northern New England is one of the areas we like, though. Just for me, there's coping with the winters, but I can hack that, I think. Not like there's a whole lot of choice as yet. I really don't like all this not-knowing-where-we'll be for-how-long, but we're pretty anxious to get the heck out of the South. Wasn't our idea to come down here, anyway, but the people swinging the budget axes aren't exactly science and education-friendly, nor to this town, ...which it seems they'd just as soon strangle. (At least as an artsy college town: I'm sure the sprawl-developers like this state of affairs just fine, but it's a mess and the city's split by gerrymandered districts so the 'libruls' don't have much say in things, despite the leanings of the town. Basically, the scam is, the tax law is so set up that no matter how many businesses close downtown, the rents stay jacked way up: the big property owners write off that huge rent they aren't getting and the inflated values, fund more speculative development of other things outside town, effectively tax-free/subsidized even if *those* are empty, so only as many high-end venues and boutiques as the downtown can support (Which doesn't, obviously, account for all the space) can start or stay open... which tends to mean that the vaunted arts and alternative scene and what made the place *interesting*/livable is stifled.

Especially if they turn around and impoverish the University, and thus the students, thus, surely, those high-end boutiques, this is the picture of an unsustainable situation I don't care to stick around for, basically. It's always a hazard of artsy communities: the artsy types raise property values, then richer people want to live there, eventually the artists get priced out and you're left with mere gentrification. By the look of the place, it should be a beacon of opportunity for new and offbeat business, but 'supply and demand' won't adjust that way cause of how things are skewed.

'Taxes' are a sacred cow here, apart from regressive ones like sales taxes on food and 'sin taxes' (Which may be fine for public health, but they're *designed* to cut off their own revenue stream and thus never meet budget expectations, while taking yet more money out of the poorer folks' budgets, again depressing local business) That's before we get into who of course has to deal with the social tensions and scapegoating that arise in conservative communities when this kind of stuff inevitably results in less-than-happy people.

(Anyway, not meaning to start a debate on the rightness or wrongness of the politics, but suffice it to say that I don't think the undeniable and ongoing economic effects on a place like this are a situation I want us to get stuck in. We're both really considering cutting our losses and getting back to sovereign U.S. territory. Simple facts: this state legislature passed a bill to claim they reserve the right to ignore Federal law, particularly including civil rights law, whenever they darn well feel like it. For all the time and resources and effort that have gone into sweetie's degree, we're playing 'chicken' with time and way too many factors to even be sure it'll get finished down here. (Yeah, it's pretty stressy.) These bones and hands and heart still have plenty of 'part of the solution' left in em, but aren't quite up to that *after* being treated like we're 'a problem.' ) 'It could only be worse in Texas,' right?

Might actually end up PMing you with some questions if you're very familiar with Nothern Vermont area, though, Goreman.
I'm not far from Vermont and our area has a lot of commuters from Vermont who come here to work. Much of what you mentioned has happened in VT. The "artsy" crowd has driven property values out of sight. More and more transplanted urbanites have moved in and are forcing working people out. It's difficult to find work without driving long commutes. There are people where I work who drive from Rutland and Bennington. There are a lot of nice places to live and Vt is one of them but it's become very upscale and expensive. If you like New England, Maine and New Hampshire are better choices for working people.

03-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm not far from Vermont and our area has a lot of commuters from Vermont who come here to work. Much of what you mentioned has happened in VT. The "artsy" crowd has driven property values out of sight. More and more transplanted urbanites have moved in and are forcing working people out. It's difficult to find work without driving long commutes. There are people where I work who drive from Rutland and Bennington. There are a lot of nice places to live and Vt is one of them but it's become very upscale and expensive. If you like New England, Maine and New Hampshire are better choices for working people.
That's a weird generalization. Vermont is a decent-sized state. Chittenden county (home of Burlington, Williston, Colchester, etc) has grown by leaps and bounds and has become more expensive to live in during recent years, but the moment you get out of Chittenden county, you're back in good-old Vermont with rock-bottom prices on everything, small local shops selling local products, and gorgeous scenery that's protected with a vengeance by the Vermont government (this can get annoying at times).

Meanwhile, my wife lived in New Hampshire for a couple years, near that Nascar track whose name I forget. The people there were angry, bitter and rude for the most part. A lot of them feel "entitled", like the rest of the country owes them something. WalMarts and other giant box stores abound everywhere.

Because of my wife's jobs, I got to spend a lot of time throughout New England. This includes upstate NY (Plattsburgh and Saratoga), New Hampshire (Tilton, Plymouth, Concord) and Vermont (St Albans, Burlington, Springfield). By far, my favourite place to be is Vermont, this is why we're planning to move there permanently in the near future.

...we won't be moving to upstate NY.
03-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's a concern, though it's not 'artsy' types with those big bucks, but people who follow them. (And surely, I think the ski set ) Gentrification is often a factor: In this town, here, though, the problem is, the artists look like they may be driven out without anything even replacing them cause policies actively seem to encourage it. When things are contracting, is a time for that stuff to move in, not be driven out. Like I said, at least Vermont seems to be opposing the sprawliness.

Upscale can be quite an issue, cost-of-living-wise, not the kind of place I could manage alone, certainly: it's also pretty hard to break into things like high-end galleries without a name and all that: but if sweetie gets good work, we ought to be able to find a place, though: definitely, it'll take careful looking if an opportunity comes up. We should at least have a good deal of choice about how we enter such a situation, and we're hardly accustomed to an extravagant lifestyle, and I've about got working gear to be getting on with, so something should be workable. The general scheme is, sweetie handles keeping us in some sustainable situation, at least, and I'll see what I can do to improve things as health permits Just hope we can go somewhere there's a good community. I can't keep up much of a conventional pace of life, but there's a lot I can do under the right conditions. Shop/darkroom space would be very helpful, I can tell you, particularly today.

Maine and New Hampshire would also be good. I particularly like the seacoast, myself. Sweetie's more for the snow.
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Maine and New Hampshire would also be good. I particularly like the seacoast, myself. Sweetie's more for the snow.
I love Maine too, the people there are super nice. Possibly the nicest New Englanders I've ever met. Every time I'm there, I feel like everyone's my buddy, even total strangers on the street. Everyone greets each other in a friendly manner.

A buddy of mine from Montreal went to Maine for a vacation a few years back. When he came back, he asked me "What does it mean when people in Maine tell me it's the morning whenever they pass me by?" I was confused at this for a bit, then I realized he didn't understand why people were saying "morning!" to him on his morning walk (as in "Good morning!"). The french version ("Matin") makes no sense by itself like that.
03-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
So do you have a 5,10,15,20 year plan ? I will put the caveat that this is somewhat realistic. Let's assume there are no lottery wins and it is more or less what you do indeed plan to do at some point. A "bucket list" if you like

My Top 3

Visit every continent
Spend my winters in a warm climate
Retire
Hey buddy, I've got no 20 year plan. At my age, kinetics are more important than thermodynamics.

Jer
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
That's a weird generalization. Vermont is a decent-sized state. Chittenden county (home of Burlington, Williston, Colchester, etc) has grown by leaps and bounds and has become more expensive to live in during recent years, but the moment you get out of Chittenden county, you're back in good-old Vermont with rock-bottom prices on everything, small local shops selling local products, and gorgeous scenery that's protected with a vengeance by the Vermont government (this can get annoying at times).
Yeah, that's one of the sorts of notions we have in mind: I'm fairly interested in scoping out of the tiny cities up there: (Actually trying to get a sense of what Montpelier is like, apart from the real estate in town tending-expensive.) We'd like to be close to *something,* a village, at least, since with my mobility issues that's easier than living out in the countryside and commuting in to work or whatever, and we do have a tendency to be overly-nestey. It'll really depend on the work opportunities and what's available, but sweetie might be able to accept a drivey commute if necessary. My guess is we'll take some time to get to know a place before really really settling down.

There are tempting possibilities for a way down the road in some old storefront/multi unit buildings: if we met the right people, there might be something manageable there in a co-op arrangement, sort of a live-above-your-shop, and rent the upstairs flat to friends of deal, ...open up a bit of it as storefront/studio,/maybe even my photo-co-op idea (likely something more diversified) ...I could potentially keep up with that even into being older, or if my health doesn't improve much.

Imagine me at local business owners' committee in ten years... Scaaaaary.
03-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

My wife's 3 year plan is to hopefully have a little girl...
My 3 year plan is to talk her out of it - 2 boys are enough.
03-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey buddy, I've got no 20 year plan. At my age, kinetics are more important than thermodynamics.

Jer
You're livng the plan there bud
03-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That would be paradise, to me. I love the desert. I have lived in the high desert and can even overlook a little snow under those conditions.
There is a VERY little snow each year. Ye Olde Bisbee is at 5500 feet at the southern tip of the Mule Mtns, with a wide valley (4500 ft) and Los Sierra Madre Occidentale just south. One inch is heavy snow. Happens a couple days in December and January. Nearby are the Huachuca [wha-CHOO-kah] and Chiricahua [chee-ree-KOW-wah] Mtns, desert islands around 10,000 feet that're snowy in winter and flocked with exotic birds the rest of the year. Just up the road (thru Tombstone Canyon and the Time Tunnel) is Tombstone AZ. This is Cochise and Geronimo and Wyatt Earp and Joanna Brady / J.A. Jance country.

It's 10 minutes to Mexico, 1/2 hour to major shopping in Douglas or Sierra Vista, 90 minutes to Tucson, a couple hours to the Kitt Peak and Mt Graham astro observatories, and light-years from the glacial North and East. There's no mail delivery in Old Bisbee, as 40% of homes in these vertical canyons are on stairways, not streets. New residents get The Key To The City, a free post-office box key. Bisbee itself (pop. 7000) consists of several boroughs tucked away in canyons and pockets or laid out on the plain above the border. And then there's the Lavender Pit copper mine, about twice the size of Liberty Island. You've never seen ANY place like it.

Our adobe is just left-of-center in the panos on this page: Bisbee, Arizona - Wikipedia

We use Bisbee as a jumping-off point for long drives across Mexico. It's just 1/2 day to Nuevo Casas Grandes and the famous pottery town of Mata Ortiz; a long day to Chihuahua or Las Barrancas del Cobre (Copper Canyon); another day to Durango or Mazatlan; another day to Zacatecas or San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato (which looks like a colonial city built into a little Yosemite Valley); another day to the silver city of Taxco, or Guadalajara or Tequila or Puerto Vallarta or (shudder) Mexico City. Another few hours to Veracruz, or to Oaxaca or Acapulco and on to El Istmo de Tehuantepec; then to Tobasco and Yucatan, or Chiapas and Guatemala. Totally amazing country, wonderful people -- just stay away from Ciudad Juarez near El Paso, and Sinaloa state on the Pacific coast, and Mexico City. And we can AFFORD to drive around down south, which we can't in the States.

We've had lotsa fun in and around Bisbee. Now it's time to move on, so we're selling out. Doesn't somebody here need a new home?