Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who's resonsible for this?

Shame on pols for letting 9/11 compensation fund expire - it's time to treat victims fairly

That program was the federal September 11th Victim Compensation Fund. It disbursed more than $7 billion to 5,560 claimants, while generating overhead costs of only 3%.

The fund was prepared to continue indefinitely, rightly predicting that people might not fall ill until years after exposure to the Pit's poisons and carcinogens.

But such foresight and efficiency had no place in government. In place of this paragon of efficiency and its 3% overhead, Congress launched this new settlement fund, with overhead costs that could eventually exceed 40%.

That overhead is 40% of the $1 billion Congress allotted the city to resolve the lawsuits arising when the end of the original fund left victims with no other recourse.

The lawyers who will be walking away with millions say the settlement will now do essentially what the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund did, disbursing aid to victims in accordance to their proven need.

Only there will be a lot less money to disburse.

03-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, we definitely don't need any kind of tort reform... It serves the better good for all................................................. lawyers that is.
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The whole affair has turned into a nightmare.....people are claiming they were injured just from viewing it on TV and have filed hundreds of claims for mental anguish.......Somewhere it has to stop. I'd just as soon see lawyers get the cash as some bimbo couch potatoe that wants a few hundred thousand $$$ for the coverage interrupting her daytime Soap. Lawyers might use the cash to help the economy more than just some homey hog that will buy a truckload of Bon Bons.
Regards!
03-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Throwing out the baby w/ the bath water

By us, he meant his fellow victims, too many of whom are faring much worse than he is himself. He suffers from an impaired breathing airway, as well as a precancerous condition in his esophagus and nodules in his nose that required surgery.

Not that any of the lawyers asked about Larkin's health as he stood outside the courtroom in a blue windbreaker stenciled with "Forever In Our Hearts 9/11/01."

The lawyers defending the city have already pocketed more than $200 million in fees. They started out seeking to have the lawsuits tossed out of court and leave Larkin and the others without a penny.

No, it makes more sense to disperse it widely then to cluster it with the attorneys.
More will get to the economy and more taxes will be paid on the money spent.

Read more.......
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2010/03/2010312233142559239.html
"A private judge will access each claimants medical records and other information confirming that they were actually present at the WTC site before making a determination as to how much compensation that claimant should receive," Carboy said.
The plaintiffs will have 90 days to review the deal and decide whether to participate. The agreement requires that 95 per cent of the plaintiffs agree to the settlement.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589165,00.html
Like other workers, Klein lamented the lack of continued comprehensive health coverage in the settlement.
"The money will be gone in months. Once you have done this, you are done, you are not eligible for anything else," he said, noting that many of his treatments are not covered by his insurance.
That sentiment was echoed by John Feal of the FealGood Foundation, an organization dedicated to 9/11-responder health ailments.
"Look, if you've got cancer and are going through chemo with those medical bills, $1 million goes pretty fast," he said.
Overall, however, Hellerstein was impressed with the deal.
"This will not be a giveaway," he said. It "will be as fair and as just as we can make it."
Separately, the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, which provides for lifetime health coverage to Ground Zero workers, remains pending in Congress.

funny how this wouldn't be needed w/ univ. health care or no pre-ex.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-15-2010 at 06:25 AM.
03-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, maybe I missed it here? I see no groundwork for "Larkin".......did he work in a coal mine for 40 yearss and just happen to pass by near NYC on 911? If so, the lawyers saved the city more than they charged and should get a bonus. I can wear my Remember the Alamo T-shirt and if I add $5 with it, I can get a Starbucks coffee.....big deal. If there is more to it than this, make it clear in your post.

Regards!
03-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"They almost got you at a point of exhaustion," retired Fire Marshal Kevin Larkin said outside a hearing in Manhattan Federal Court on Friday. "What are you going to do?"

I take it he was supporting his "kind" and I assume he was there at some point in time..... though your right it is not stated explicitly.

PS I actually expected you to read it. "Teach a man to hunt possum and.... ect"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-15-2010 at 07:23 PM.
03-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
"They almost got you at a point of exhaustion," retired Fire Marshal Kevin Larkin said outside a hearing in Manhattan Federal Court on Friday. "What are you going to do?"

I take it he was supporting his "kind" and I assume he was there at some point in time..... though your right it is not stated explicitly.

PS I actually expected you to read it. "Teach a man to hunt possum and.... ect"
Sorry, I just plain overlooked the link! I must have been daydreaming of those delicious Possumwiches again......easy to see why!
Regards!