Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Three points;

Longevity;

While I might have gone the Pentax route, it is the same across brands. I have 3 Pentax cameras from the 50s and they are all solid and a joy to use. I think the same would be for Nikon or Canon (and other brands). I could buy a rebel or K# and what will it look like after some use? What will be the plastic be like after a few years with no use? I have a 67II, and I presume from the build that it will be a great camera a decade from now. I hope the 645d is the same.

QA/price

I think we get what we pay for. Unfortunately, we expect dollar store prices for premium gear. Have a look at what cameras and lenses would cost from previous years in 2009 dollars. They need to provide a premium camera at a crap price to make a sale. It's sad....why not buy a great camera and one or two lenses at a reasonable price rather than a camera every year with 6 lenses?

Features

I'm not going to use video / leveling / etc. What if a camera company released a camera that was a premium camera for photography? Great QA / IQ...no bells or whistles....just a great digital camera.

03-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
QA/price

I think we get what we pay for. Unfortunately, we expect dollar store prices for premium gear. Have a look at what cameras and lenses would cost from previous years in 2009 dollars. They need to provide a premium camera at a crap price to make a sale. It's sad....why not buy a great camera and one or two lenses at a reasonable price rather than a camera every year with 6 lenses?

Features

I'm not going to use video / leveling / etc. What if a camera company released a camera that was a premium camera for photography? Great QA / IQ...no bells or whistles....just a great digital camera.
Going back to Ben's start to the thread, I don't think he's referring to entry level cameras or lenses. The big problem today is we can't be sure anymore of what we are buying. Top of the line refers to features, not longevity or even quality. It's becoming an understood fact in modern times that if you want quality, you should buy a product at the end of it's production run.
03-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Going back to Ben's start to the thread, I don't think he's referring to entry level cameras or lenses. The big problem today is we can't be sure anymore of what we are buying. Top of the line refers to features, not longevity or even quality. It's becoming an understood fact in modern times that if you want quality, you should buy a product at the end of it's production run.
I tend to agree with you, as the new motor that Pentax put in to my Pentax DA*16-50 is the new generation one that replaces the original.
03-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #34
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's good to know. Maybe now this issue will fade away.