Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutter Island

Just watched this movie today and it was one of the better movies I've seen since No Country For Old Men back in '07 (People don't really make good movies now days ). I love it soo much... What are your guys' thoughts on it? It was pretty chilling and sad. One thing I didn't like was I thought that there was so too much time to get to the point at the end, it made me thought all that time for just this? However throughout those times, the story and character developments became very deep and the execution throughout draws you in and it was flawless, like all Martin Scorsese's films, superb again...

The scene with the dreaming of his wife before she turned to ashes was very romantic and sad, it touched my heart, one of the best I've seen and it's not solely a love flick, no homo

Last edited by LeDave; 03-16-2010 at 11:02 PM.
03-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

No spoilers, but it was shot amazingly! Really made me appreciate the ammount of skill required to make a film that is not full of computer animation. I loved it from start to end. Its a movie that I would like to go back and revisit soon, even though I just saw it a couple of weeks ago.
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
People don't really make good movies now days )
I haven't seen Shutter Island yet. I've heard good things about it, but your comment on "people not making good movies these days" is a pretty bold statement.

I think you just need to look past all the big budget Hollywood movies, and then perhaps you'll find something interesting and worthwhile.
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I do want to see it, however I only see movies in the theater with my girlfriend and she won't see it
She hates horror movies. I guess I'm stuck waiting for it to hit Blockbusters

03-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I do want to see it, however I only see movies in the theater with my girlfriend and she won't see it
She hates horror movies. I guess I'm stuck waiting for it to hit Blockbusters
It's not scary at all! It's just so sad that it's chilling, it's so twisted that it's chilling. It's a drama thriller so it's bound to be twisted and sad, which of course could be scary to some. It's got a few heavy love scenes too which I thought was very very romantic.
03-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought it was ok, not great. Most dramatic music I've heard since watching On The Waterfront.
03-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It was entertaining, but the ending was way too obvious and the entire thing felt like a retread of other movies. Reminded me a lot of Jacob's Ladder in many ways.

Didn't feel like I wasted my money, but it's a pretty minor work for Scorcese.

03-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah but we must know that this is a bit of a different approach for Scorsese, he's more of a crime/thriller type of guy. This movie is although drama/thriller is still a bit different than anything I've seen from him and he has done a superb job at this film, show's what he's capable of.

I don't think Jacob's Ladder is in the same league as this film, despite Jacob's Ladder actually being more of a true horror movie, I felt that this movie is much more excellent in the way it's executed compared to Jacob's Ladder. Jacob's Ladder may be hard to follow at certain points and it's much more surreal because of it's meant horror elements; but in Shutter Island, every scene by scene is excellent in the way they connect and you can really understand it's deep meaning. By no means is Jacob's Ladder bad, it's good but I just felt that Shutter Island is better.

However I do agree that in Shutter Island, by the time he ran up the *spiral (avoiding certain words to prevent spoilers), it gets a bit too much obvious from there.
03-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wasn't really meaning to compare the two in terms of subjective quality--moreso in their thematic and fantastical elements.

(Personally I prefer Jacob's Ladder, but that opinion is neither here nor there in this discussion.)

Shutter Island is basically a really well-done "b-movie" for modern tastes. In that context, I liked it a lot.
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #10

I'm with deadwolfbones on this one. It wasn't anything spectacular. It was very predictable. And I was rather dissapointed in the way the movie was portrayed in the trailers prior to it's release. Was waiting for a suspense/Thriller with some actions, and got very little of all three. But not the worst movie, just wasn't what I thought it was going to be.
03-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wouldn't have to say it's a b-movie for modern tastes , those types of movies would be like Avatar. This definitely went above that in terms of story and character development I wouldn't go to the movies and expect a Martin Scorsese movie to be average either. As for the predictible part, this movie really carried the story deep through every scene so that you won't have to think what's going to happen next, causing the movie to seem a bit slow-paced; Jacob's Ladder tends to carry the story with some pieces left out to let you want to know what's going to happen next so it's less predictable.

I guess it all comes down to personal preferences.

Also just got back from watching The Crazies just now, and as usual I was a bit disappointed for a horror movie, but sure does beat the horror movies made today aiming at 13 year olds. Some scenes did make me jump although I already knew that it's going to happen, I get scared easily so
03-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't seen Shutter Island yet. The setting kind of reminds me of Chattahoochie on an island. I agree that there are a lot of over budget crap being cranked out. However, there are still a few good ones. We saw The Blind Side when it came out and I was surprised, it was one of the best I've seen in a while.
03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Also just got back from watching The Crazies just now, and as usual I was a bit disappointed for a horror movie, but sure does beat the horror movies made today aiming at 13 year olds. Some scenes did make me jump although I already knew that it's going to happen, I get scared easily so
It seems like horror movies have really turned to sh*t lately, or maybe it's my mental filter that just remembers the good ones from the past. Last decent horror flick I saw was The Descent (I think in 2005). God damn that was one messed up, awesome movie. Hadn't felt that way since Event Horizon...
03-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I haven't seen Shutter Island yet. The setting kind of reminds me of Chattahoochie on an island. I agree that there are a lot of over budget crap being cranked out. However, there are still a few good ones. We saw The Blind Side when it came out and I was surprised, it was one of the best I've seen in a while.
Yeah. The financial success of Transformers 2, and the financial success of the people that children today call "artists" scares me for the future of the American children.