Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Insomnia

I can't sleep. It's been the bane of my existence for decades, but it's been killing me slowly these past 2 weeks. I need to be up at 6am, it's now 2am, and I can't get to sleep. I think I've gotten all of 8 hours of sleep this last week, none of it restful.

Anyone else deal with chronic insomnia? I've done years of research on the subject, and sleep in general, and none of it has helped me get to sleep reliably. Other than a good whack to the head, what's helped you guys sleep?

03-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about insomnia but what I have matches narcolepsy more. I can't sleep when I need to for school, I would lay on my rack for 4-6 hours straight and I won't sleep with my eyes closed. I feel a giant surge of tiredness going through my body when all the suddenly it's time for school, and I could then sleep if I wanted to but however I can't because I have to go to school. It sucks really bad especially when you have an exam or a test, you're screwed in trying to think straight.
03-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had 3 years of roommates who snored at school. I started experimenting with different styles of ear plugs part way through 1st year and once I found a brand that was comfortable my sleeping problems were solved. I still keep some handy for nights where I want to sleep uninterrupted.
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

man that sucks when i think of insomniacs i think of fight club (love that movie)... On a serious note you would think that with all of todays technology things like that would be solved; go to hospital, laser beam to head, good as new.

03-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I don't know about insomnia but what I have matches narcolepsy more. I can't sleep when I need to for school, I would lay on my rack for 4-6 hours straight and I won't sleep with my eyes closed. I feel a giant surge of tiredness going through my body when all the suddenly it's time for school, and I could then sleep if I wanted to but however I can't because I have to go to school. It sucks really bad especially when you have an exam or a test, you're screwed in trying to think straight.
That sounds like what I'm suffering from right now... it's aggravating. I bet I start feeling real tired right around 5:30am.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I had 3 years of roommates who snored at school. I started experimenting with different styles of ear plugs part way through 1st year and once I found a brand that was comfortable my sleeping problems were solved. I still keep some handy for nights where I want to sleep uninterrupted.
hehe, I have 2 bassets and a wife in the bedroom. One basset sounds like rolling thunder, the other like stomping thunder, and my wife's sleeping sounds vary regularly. None of it bothers me much, though. I tend to find the bassets rather soothing. I sleep worse when they're not around.
03-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
man that sucks when i think of insomniacs i think of fight club (love that movie)... On a serious note you would think that with all of todays technology things like that would be solved; go to hospital, laser beam to head, good as new.
Luckily I haven't started fighting with any imaginary friends yet (oh no! I ruined the movie for anyone who hasn't watched it yet!)
03-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
wjt
Veteran Member

if you do, i will happily come and put my k-7 to good use.

03-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
Damn Brit

Yep, I'm still up too. Always been the same, hate getting up, hate going to bed. I think ten years of shift work finally did for me. The last six years, I wasn't too bad, had a day job so I did actually sleep at night sometimes. Now I'm home studying full time, I have no schedule. Works out handy with the baby, when my wife needs a break, I'm usually still up and I can catch up with my sleep during the day.
I don't let it get to me, it bothers my wife a bit but things work out ok.
03-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I can't sleep. It's been the bane of my existence for decades, but it's been killing me slowly these past 2 weeks. I need to be up at 6am, it's now 2am, and I can't get to sleep. I think I've gotten all of 8 hours of sleep this last week, none of it restful.

Anyone else deal with chronic insomnia? I've done years of research on the subject, and sleep in general, and none of it has helped me get to sleep reliably. Other than a good whack to the head, what's helped you guys sleep?
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Yep, I'm still up too. Always been the same, hate getting up, hate going to bed. I think ten years of shift work finally did for me. The last six years, I wasn't too bad, had a day job so I did actually sleep at night sometimes. Now I'm home studying full time, I have no schedule. Works out handy with the baby, when my wife needs a break, I'm usually still up and I can catch up with my sleep during the day.
I don't let it get to me, it bothers my wife a bit but things work out ok.
How did I know that you both had a sleep disorder
Besides the fact that we're often the only 3 posting here some nights

Mine has actually cost me a coupe of relationships, however I guess that if they didn't accept me for who I am they aren't the right ones.
03-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
Damn Brit

In addition, after the little one was born I was doing a lot of the night feedings so there was a reason for me to be up. Part of the problem now is that it's hard to break the cycle.
03-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
In addition, after the little one was born I was doing a lot of the night feedings so there was a reason for me to be up. Part of the problem now is that it's hard to break the cycle.
I think that's the biggest problem for me. I don't normally have a set schedule, so I'm free to sleep whenever I want (which usually means 3am to 11am). But on those odd days when I have to get up at a "normal" time, it really messes me up.

I think things will get better once I can start biking regularly again. Winter riding is fun and all, but it's very irregular. Doing physical activity on a regular basis seems t help a lot.
03-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What really pisses me off is that tomorrow (today?) is supposed to be the most gorgeous day of the year so far. High of 18c (64f), mostly sunny, very little wind. In short, the perfect biking and picture-taking day. As it is, I'll probably end up falling asleep in the truck in the parking lot instead of taking advantage of this fine day while my wife is working.

This sucks all kinds of donkey balls...
03-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If I'm studying what I like, I can't go to sleep. The first time I read Chris Date's DATABASE SYSTEMS, I started right after dinner and stayed up for 18 hours, couldn't put it down. If I'm studying what I don't like, I can't stay awake. Boredom makes me narcoleptic.

So now I'll fall asleep and be up 3 hours later, can't get back to sleep, lay there awhile, give up, hit the computer for a few hours, doze again for a couple hours, repeat cycle. Good thing I don't have any more stinking schedules.
03-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If I'm studying what I like, I can't go to sleep. The first time I read Chris Date's DATABASE SYSTEMS, I started right after dinner and stayed up for 18 hours, couldn't put it down. If I'm studying what I don't like, I can't stay awake. Boredom makes me narcoleptic.
I know that feeling. It started again recently when I started learning more about photography

I just had a realization; my insomnia was mostly under control this past year. It's only since I got headbutted in the face that it's become a major nuisance again. I wonder if I'm suffering from some physical or psychological issue without being aware of it. I hope it's physical and it'll heal soon.
03-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Doing physical activity on a regular basis seems t help a lot.
This is true. Exercise in the day is great for sleep.. at night. I try to steer clear of afternoon granny naps, as I usually wake up from them in quite a foul mood.

Have you tried any natural remedies such as teas? Is there anthing that you could be doing that is disturbing your sleep, such as overly generous amounts of caffeine or alcohol?