Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive

Hi,

I was using Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive as my backup drive, it crashed, now all the data is lost & also I cannot just plug in a new hdd into it, as all the OS was on the hdd itself.
If anybody using the same drive please make a backup of your data on DVDs, also make disk image of hdd's OS partitions.

If any one make a disk image please let me know, I would also be able to recover my disk.

03-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hard drives die, it's a fact of life.

You can't call it a backup if your data only resides on that one drive. It is only truly backed up if you have data in two places.

Personally I would rather buy an external hard drive from a hard drive manufacturer as you know what is actually in the plastic box. Otherwise it is usually the cheapest drive Iomega (or whatever other re-brander) can source that week.

There is a chance that it is the enclosure electronics and not the drive itself that has failed. Have you tried connecting the bare drive itself to your computer without the enclosure?

As a computer tech, I have my data drive in my main home PC mirrored. The same information gets written to both drives at the same time. That way if one fails, it is on the second drive. That mirror is also backed up to a removable drive. That way if a power surge takes out the two mirrored drives, I have it on a backup drive that is disconnected from the computer and all power sources.
03-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ditto. Hard drives die, they just do regardless of brand, and ext drives die more often due to excessive heat & vibration. That's why I don't like ext except those with active cooling. Always have 2 copies of everything, at least. To recover the data on your drive, you might extract the drive from the enclosure, and hook it up to the PC directly (PATA or SATA), then see if anything shows up. If it does but w/o partition, try some partition recovery software. I saved some ext hard drives this way b4. Good luck.

Last edited by wlachan; 03-20-2010 at 10:10 PM.
03-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The subject gets brought up again and again on every forum. It pays to backup your stuff. My photos are backed up on a second computer and also DVD's.