Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Celebrating

So how are you all celebrating the Vernal Equinox? Glad to see this winter gone. Coldest winter here since 1969. 10th coldest in recorded history.

03-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AKA March 22nd AKA the first day of Spring? I say it's about time...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AKA March 22nd AKA the first day of Spring? I say it's about time...
Hey at least it isn't a political thread from me.
03-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Celebrating

Hey Graph,
Seems like everyone has a bad case of "cabin fever"
glad you mentioned Vernal Equinox, might have to find out at what time of day
will my egg stand on end (location w90',n38'38")
Once you hit 50, celebrations are somewhat more relaxed.

03-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Not up here. We shipped all the cold air south. In fact feb was the warmest month recorded ever in several Canadian provinces. Particularly in Vancouver during the Olympics.
03-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hey Graph,
Seems like everyone has a bad case of "cabin fever"
glad you mentioned Vernal Equinox, might have to find out at what time of day
will my egg stand on end (location w90',n38'38")
Once you hit 50, celebrations are somewhat more relaxed.
You realize that's a myth right? Just like the Coriolis effect causes toilets to flush clockwise.
03-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No egg on end?

Hi all,
Is it really a myth, come on, I dont want to rake my yard and plant grass seed.
I want to look at eggs on end with my grand-Daughter.
I'm shattered!

03-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As much as I like spring, and macro season I'm not looking forward to it this year.

My province, British Columbia is preparing for another wicked fire season. We've already had some brush fires, months earlier than normal.
Some communities have already started their water restrictions, and I'll probably be on one shortly.
The local BIG lake, the Okanagan is 1 meter (over 3' ) low.

So I honestly wouldn't mind seeing winter get a second wind here.
This last winter I shoveled snow twice, and if I would have waited a couple of hours it would have melted on it's own. That's unheard of here.
03-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Same in my home province, Nova Scotia Stu. Since late feb they have been getting as many as 20 brush fires a day. It's because of a very low snow pack and they are really worried about this summer. Nothing in PEI but then Potatoes don't burn well.
03-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
So how are you all celebrating the Vernal Equinox? Glad to see this winter gone. Coldest winter here since 1969. 10th coldest in recorded history.
Well, since its 18 degrees here this morning I think I'll start by shivering, followed by some swearing and wrap up the day with a whole lot of whining and bitching.
03-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
This last winter I shoveled snow twice, and if I would have waited a couple of hours it would have melted on it's own. That's unheard of here.
I shoveled 3 times this year. Each time, it would've melted within a couple days anyways. Normally I need to shovel 10+ times in a year and even then I don't get to it all. I usually run out of room to put it all.

Every year prior to this, when spring came around, I'd look out the window and go "yeah right, whatever". This year, I looked out the window 3 weeks ago and thought "hey, it's spring!" This is really screwed up. I'm in the Northeast for Pete's sake! Where did all the Nor'easters go? (oh right! They went to Washington, D.C. for some bizarre reason)

My studded bicycle tires barely got a workout this winter
03-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Dang - I thought we were done with winter, and a cold front just blew through; it went from 66 to 46 F in the last four hours, and our sorry ass Texas single pane (and pain) windows are hazing up from condensation. We're supposed to hit 38 F as a low tonight - hey, this junk ain't supposed to happen here, particularly in March!

The good news is mid '70's are forecast after Monday.

Jer
03-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Up here in northern NY state, a place known for it's severe winters, we had a very mild winter with very little snowfall. Locally, we average over 100 inches, this year has been around half that. If it hadn't been for that 2 feet of sloppy wet stuff a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't have been even that much. Today was nearly 70, another record warm day. The cold down south has been strange. My daughter called up from Fla. where her Crew team went to train in early March and it was warmer when they left in Rochester than in Tampa.
03-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Up here in northern NY state, a place known for it's severe winters, we had a very mild winter with very little snowfall. Locally, we average over 100 inches, this year has been around half that. If it hadn't been for that 2 feet of sloppy wet stuff a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't have been even that much. Today was nearly 70, another record warm day. The cold down south has been strange. My daughter called up from Fla. where her Crew team went to train in early March and it was warmer when they left in Rochester than in Tampa.
Ha ha! We didn't even get that last 2 feet of sloppy wet stuff, it was just rain up here.
03-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It was a very nice day to welcome Spring down here: must have hit seventy, and we're starting to see some green, which is a welcome sight for me.

We had a bit of a ramble, a nice dinner, ah, participated in some folk customs, did some work on one of a few projects that got stacked up over the past winter, went out for a pint.

Happy Spring, everyone.