Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A weekend without TV SUCKS

Although I usually only have the TV on for backup noise I like to watch the odd program Friday nights, and weekends.
However that just won't happen this weekend.

It turns out that the upstairs nincompoops had the nerve to cancel cable, without talking to the landlord. Bringing in Satellite instead.
I guess that they didn't realize all the house cable was together, so I'm without TV for the weekend.

I know that they didn't mean any harm, however when I found out what had happened it was too late. My landlady was on her way to Vancouver for the weekend, and never had the chance to contact the cable company until after closing. So I'm stuck without cable all weekend

What makes it even worst, is I can here the upstairs twits blasting their TV... so I know that they aren't going without.
I'm soo tempted to borrow a ladder and cut the line. If they wouldn't automatically know whom's responsible I probably would

03-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Try renting some documentaries.
03-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

TV? Oh, I gave that up for Lent. Five years ago. And I'm not even Catholic. Actually, I'm on the computer all the time. I have monitors in here, and I had a VHS with a tuner plugged into the cable, and sometimes I switched on Jon Stewart. And I even listened to the fairly local (Sacratomato and San Narcisco) NPR news stations.

But broadcast news, even sincere and satirical, just made me sick. The rest of TV had sickened me years ago. Now I just dedicate myself to photographic forums. It's much less stressful, less aggravating, than being reminded constantly of political, commercial, social, religious etc atrocities and insanities.

And TV (and any broadcast media) is just so BORING. Not interactive. Yelling at it does no good. Switching channels just brings up more atrocities and insanities and boredom. On the computer, my browser has many tabs. I try to keep interesting stuff happening on each tab. If one gets tedious, there's always another to click on. And I can usually feed in some comments, which get responses. Not like TV at all.

I know, y'all will say I'm missing documentaries and movies and good stuff. Nope, I don't miss'em at all. I don't want to be a vegetable, sit there unmoving, have it wash over me like rain on a turnip. I've given up being a turnip. Now I'm a hamster. A dancing hamster. With music flowing around me.

So go ahead, cut your neighbors' satellite feed, cut the cable, put on some music, and boogie on down.
03-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Go buy a movie! I have been watching movies a lot lately and I recommend Paris, je t'aime. Watched it yesterday and highly recommended, it's very funny and romantic.

03-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Go buy a movie! I have been watching movies a lot lately and I recommend Paris, je t'aime. Watched it yesterday and highly recommended, it's very funny and romantic.
Does it have any dancing hamsters?
03-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Does it have any dancing hamsters?
You're thinking of (H)amsterdam.
03-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Now I just dedicate myself to photographic forums. It's much less stressful, less aggravating, than being reminded constantly of political, commercial, social, religious etc atrocities and insanities.
I see you don't read GraphicGr8s or Parallax posts too often.
03-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am considering dropping cable myself. My basic cable is over $60 a month. I have DSL from my phone company and we use the internet far more than we watch TV. I haven't done it yet.....just considering. Without cable or sattelite, we have no TV here. It was possible before the digital switch with an antenna and rotator but now, no signal.

03-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
i see you don't read graphicgr8s or parallax posts too often.

03-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or you could borrow a ladder and watch tv with them

I'd be happy to record to DVD any shows you'll miss. Back to back Clint Eastwood westerns today. Hockey game on Sunday. I could throw in some bonus local news and She's Crafty broadcasts? (I just love how that show is filmed. Her projects aren't all that good but the camera work is so interesting to me)

A library would be a great place to start of course. You can borrow so many things from there for free.
Play some music and do some house work.
Go help a friend paint his kitchen. You might even get some home baked brownies out of the deal.
03-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Banned

I havent watched tv in months. I dont miss it.
03-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I am considering dropping cable myself. My basic cable is over $60 a month. I have DSL from my phone company and we use the internet far more than we watch TV. I haven't done it yet.....just considering. Without cable or sattelite, we have no TV here. It was possible before the digital switch with an antenna and rotator but now, no signal.
actually all you will need is a digital decoder if you have an old fashion tv (analog) and if you actually already have a digital tv then all you need to do is plug the cord from the antenna into the TV. You will loose most of what you get on cable these days but again you will get your local tv for free again just like in the days before cable and we decided to pay for something that is free
03-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, I can't feel bad for you. I gave up on TV 3 years ago. I have a 60" HD DLP TV and a high def satellite receiver, and they now mostly sit idle. Ever since I started mountain biking again, TV has taken a back seat. The only things I watch on TV are Canadiens hockey games, CFL games, the Super Bowl (if I remember it's on), and the Olympics (only the recent winter ones). Other than that, I called up Bell and canceled all the useless channels I no longer watched. Of course, I kept the high def stuff because I love watching CFL and the Canadiens in high def The Olympics were also particularly interesting in high def this year.

edit: oops, I also play Wii occasionally, so I guess the high end A/V stuff does get some other occasional use
03-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
actually all you will need is a digital decoder if you have an old fashion tv (analog) and if you actually already have a digital tv then all you need to do is plug the cord from the antenna into the TV. You will loose most of what you get on cable these days but again you will get your local tv for free again just like in the days before cable and we decided to pay for something that is free
I've considered doing this and reducing my dependence on Bell. I'm within HD broadcast distance of every major network, both Canadian and US. But TSN (cable-only) has exclusive rights to CFL games now, and the only place I can catch all the Canadiens games is on RDS (French version of TSN) Stupid cable networks...
03-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There's a reason it is called a TV Program. (I'm a software engineer) Benefits like these: Hightower: Two Right-Wing Billionaire Brothers Are Remaking America for Their Own Benefit | Investigations | AlterNet