Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The impact of family on photography.

There are some beautiful photos on the forums here, which getting to location or setting up the shot etc would take time. I was looking at Jimbo's post water flow and wondered how far he had to drive/walk to get there. Which got me thinking, because my wife does not enjoy hiking which has essentially stopped me from hiking as i do try and do as much with her as i can when i am not working. Although I have decided that from now on I'm going to get back into hiking and one weekend a month she can either stay at home or come for some hikes.

I saw a wonderful woman down the beach the yesterday carrying the guys camera sling bag while he snapped away, another though provoking moment.

So what and how does you family (partners and/or children) support or 'challenge' your photography? My wive is quite patient continually stopping and waiting for me to snap away and open for specific outings (i do have to take one to convert into a cross-stitch for her), her lack of interest in hiking is the only real challenge.
Do you leave them at home and go off for a few hours or a day? or take them in tow?

03-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My girlfriend loves joining me, whenever she can.... which isn't very often.
Partly because I take her to see what she wants to see. If she wants to see some flowers that day I'll take a hike past some flowery meadows. Beaches, it'll be a remote lake with a beach. She loves it, and so do I We both get to spend quality time together, she sees what she wants to see and I do what I want to do.
03-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
There are some beautiful photos on the forums here, which getting to location or setting up the shot etc would take time. I was looking at Jimbo's post water flow and wondered how far he had to drive/walk to get there. Which got me thinking, because my wife does not enjoy hiking which has essentially stopped me from hiking as i do try and do as much with her as i can when i am not working. Although I have decided that from now on I'm going to get back into hiking and one weekend a month she can either stay at home or come for some hikes.
I think it's good for a relationship to have separate interests.
I saw a wonderful woman down the beach the yesterday carrying the guys camera sling bag while he snapped away, another though provoking moment.
That was his mistress.

So what and how does you family (partners and/or children) support or 'challenge' your photography? My wive is quite patient continually stopping and waiting for me to snap away and open for specific outings (i do have to take one to convert into a cross-stitch for her), her lack of interest in hiking is the only real challenge.
Do you leave them at home and go off for a few hours or a day? or take them in tow?
My wife has her interests, I have photography. When we do go out together, she accepts that she will occasionally have to wait for me. Sometimes there is a conflict but one of us lets the other know what's up and we work around it.
03-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My family has the single largest impact on what I can and cannot accomplish in photography. And not necessarily in a good way.

03-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
BPT
Veteran Member

Family life has put me on a bit of a hiatus for the past several months, but on the same hand I dont think it overly interferes. My wife can generally handle me taking of a few hours here and there just as I handle her taking off a few hours here and there to do her stuff.

It is important to have separate hobbies I think, then again I am now picturing her carrying all my gear for me lol
03-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
emr

My wife and children couldn't care less about my photography - as long as I don't shoot them which is an absolute no-no. Nice.
03-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
It is important to have separate hobbies I think, then again I am now picturing her carrying all my gear for me lol
I pointed out the woman lugging the camera bag out to my wife, got a resounding "NO", can't blame a man for trying

Our time for doing other stuff tends to happen at night, where i play games, read forums and or study, and she watches tv and does all her crafts... both of which i have no real interest in.

03-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography has been my thing through the years, not my wifes. She enjoys hanging my pictures up but has no interest in taking any. Much the same with the outdoors. I hike, climb, ski, kayak,....my wife doesn't. She comes along but does other stuff. While the kids and I hiked and climbed, she would hang out at the campsite, go swimming or find a nice place to read a book. I suppose it could become a conflict if we chose to make it one but we don't. We've been married 37 years. Probably the only time my hobby bacame a conflict when I set up my darkroom in our only bathroom back in the film days.
03-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that I'm retired and my kids grown, I find that my photography is circumscribed more by my other hobbies than by family issues. In fact, I'm betting well over 80% of my shooting is ancillary to sailing, an automotive-related undertaking, bicycling or some other activity. Were photography not so nicely synergistic with the other pieces of my life, I'd have only a P&S for recording family events and leave it at that.

Having said that, I must also say that my wife is exceptionally patient with those times that I want to slow down and really focus (NPI) on shooting (at a first-class car show, for example), and . . . . there are still a few times (such as this PM, I hope) that I grab two or three Limiteds and set out to "do" photography for its own sake.

Jer
03-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The family is an opportunity for photography. Kids sports , camping trips events etc.
Now with that being said most of what is in my portfolio or gets posted/entered comes from the fact that I own a mobile service business and frequently carry a small camera kit in the truck with me.
03-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I grew up with a Polaroid i bought myself when i was a kid, my family are anti paparazzi sometimes when i'm trying to take photos i feel as though i'm a war photographer as my mom likes tossing whatever is in her hands at the moment at me, my sisters "wait!!! i have NO make up on!!" only my dad is willing for the one or two poses then it's "bug off", my nephews do but they're becoming camera shy lately and me, i like being behind the camera myself. We barely have any family photos only my Polaroids...my current is also camera shy and will only pose when i'm in the frame so most of those photos are slightly blurred because when i hand over my gear it's usually to heavy for whoever is taking the shot ... it's time to make use of those tripods i've been storing.
03-26-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I prefer to dart off by myself to take photos. My wife has a very strong tendency to wander off and get lost.

By the way, where the hell do you go hiking in Perth? Or the surrounding 500+kms?
03-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I just about grew up in Dad's small darkroom. My sisters and I were raised (trained) to respond to the camera. Life without a camera is no life at all! (Both sisters went on to be graphic artists, one professionally.) My daughter has absolutely no graphic interest other than decorating herself and her home, so it's not genetic.

My other and I have both been working photographers (long ago), but when we're together now we talk too much, which interferes with looking, seeing, visualizing. So I wander off alone to shoot. I'll do so later today. Family impact on photography? You could say that...
03-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My family mostly just consists of my girlfriend and I, and she enjoys photography herself and loves to show off the photos her P+S camera takes. I guess I'm fortunate in that regard. Plus, she enjoys hiking and other outdoors-y stuff. I'm sure as time goes on and we have kids and grow older some of that may disappear, but for now we're both happy.