Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Ridiculously high price for a broken lens

"Diaphragm not working, glass clean and clear, but rear glass with many spots in surface/coating"

The above is how the seller described his lens and yet someone bought that lens for US $168.50+SH! See link here

I know diaphragm issue could be a simple oil issue but it could be zillion other things too, besides "many spots on the rear coating element" seems like an instant turn down to me. I don't get it, are people going insane these days or that lens worth that much to take such a risk?

03-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
greed and stupidity rolled into one
03-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
whats sad is that there were 17 bids
03-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's sadder is that the bidding is all based on that it is German and somewhat harder to find. That "somehow because it's German, it's better" and I've bough a couple lenses similar to this and they really suck. Loads of PF and green fringing, not sharp till stopped down, barrel distortion, poor resolution etc etc. In reality a Pentax SMC 55mm f1.8 would be a superior lens in any way you want to measure it and can be had for $50.00 all the time.

03-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
What's sadder is that the bidding is all based on that it is German and somewhat harder to find. That "somehow because it's German, it's better" and I've bough a couple lenses similar to this and they really suck. Loads of PF and green fringing, not sharp till stopped down, barrel distortion, poor resolution etc etc. In reality a Pentax SMC 55mm f1.8 would be a superior lens in any way you want to measure it and can be had for $50.00 all the time.
gotta love the takumar 55mm. oh so many flavors, all delicious.
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
A lot of bokeh nuts get excited over the fact that the lenses tend to have about fourteen bajillion aperture blades (and bokeh and anything that may improve it is instant flickr cred.)

Of course, as you mention, a lot of them might've been designed as a budget lens in the Eastern bloc. Or for use on black and white film only, where PF isn't going to show up.
03-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Lithos, very true on all points. But IMHO bokeh is much more dependant on optical design than the number of blades. All I can see the blades doing is rounding out background highlights more than a lens with 5,6 or 7 blades can do. But the number of blades doesn't seem to matter much with nervous backgrounds etc.

People often forget that many of these German lenses came from East Germany and used Russian design and construction.
03-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I can remember back in the 70's when those East German Practika's and their lenses were the bargain basement SLR's of the day. While not awful, they were considered inferior to the other M42 brands of the day. The Soviet Union and other Eastern Bloc nations were able to throw big "Names" like Zeiss on their products as part of war reparations. You really have to know what you are buying.