03-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And how do you know about these cycles?

03-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #17
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
And how do you know about these cycles?
I tend to study cyclical behaviors. That a problem for you?
03-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, the whole thing is caused by too many cow farts.
03-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Oh, the whole thing is caused by too many cow farts.
You could stop exhaling. That should lower CO2 emissions.

03-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I tend to study cyclical behaviors. That a problem for you?
Yeah........you're not very good at it.

Besides.......where did your info come from?
03-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Yeah........you're not very good at it.

Besides.......where did your info come from?
I may not be very good but at least I am still better than you. Come to think of it that's not really saying much in my favor now is it? I'm better than a union guy. Well at least I am not a union guy.
03-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Overall the earth is warming. I personally don't disagree about that.This showed up today in the news

I however find it incredibly arrogant that people think that global warming is of primarily anthropological origin. The earth has always gone through warming and cooling cycles.

I don't know that hamstringing economies is the proper course of action and I don't know that even if everyone ran off solar power and bicycles that we could even stop the temperature fluctuations. The best course of action is to start learning to adapt and watch out for the wars to come from the displaced people.

We are still coming out of the last great ice age (look up also the mini ice age that began in 1500).

I am in support of smart environmental protection because I don't want to breath stinky air, get cancer from the ground and have my drinking water destroy my liver. I do want a job though.

03-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
Banned

This has been the first winter here in NJ were I did not see any overnite low temps drop into the single digits. We had record high temps set on a few days and March has been the warmest I ever seen.
Monthly Weather Forecast for Hillsborough, NJ (08844) - weather.com

BTW I think most people in the US are big weenies and cry like babies when it gets cold in the winter.
03-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
This has been the first winter here in NJ were I did not see any overnite low temps drop into the single digits. We had record high temps set on a few days and March has been the warmest I ever seen.
Monthly Weather Forecast for Hillsborough, NJ (08844) - weather.com

BTW I think most people in the US are big weenies and cry like babies when it gets cold in the winter.
Well Florida has had the coldest winter since 1968. And it's the 10th coldest since the started keeping records.

I think most people in the US are big weenies when it gets hot in the summer. Especially those in Jersey
03-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #25
Banned

---------- Post added 03-24-2010 at 09:32 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Well Florida has had the coldest winter since 1968. And it's the 10th coldest since the started keeping records.
Show me a link.

Last edited by jogiba; 03-24-2010 at 07:33 PM.
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
graphicgr8s

The dumb redneck KKKonservatives don't even know what the word Global means.
Bubba, it is your party (Jackass Party) that contributes to the KKK. You need to get your facts right.

---------- Post added 03-24-2010 at 09:35 PM ----------

---------- Post added 03-24-2010 at 09:32 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Show me a link.
Since your so much smarter than a dumb KKKonservative try Google.

---------- Post added 03-24-2010 at 09:37 PM ----------

Since your not really that smart here's one. Although they can't spell February.

2010 Tied For Polk's 4th-Coldest Febraury With 1968 | TheLedger.com

And another
2010 Tied For Polk's 4th-Coldest Febraury With 1968 | TheLedger.com

http://www.srh.weather.gov/mlb/data.php?file=/summary/Winter2010.txt

Again it depends on which part of Florida you are in.

http://www.wcflunatall.com/fmci18.htm

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 03-24-2010 at 07:41 PM.
03-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Overall the earth is warming. I personally don't disagree about that.
I however find it incredibly arrogant that people think that global warming is of primarily anthropological origin. The earth has always gone through warming and cooling cycles.

It's actually arrogant to think one can wish away the effects of doing in a hundred years what took millions to 'un-do.'

We know what these gases do. We know how much we've introduced into the atmosphere. It's not a question of 'arrogance,' (Of all people on this board, I think I can say I have quite a lot more respect for Mammagaia than any denier here...)

It's really about *rate of change.* Rate of change faster than life can adapt=Extinction level event. Which is already underway.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know that hamstringing economies is the proper course of action and I don't know that even if everyone ran off solar power and bicycles that we could even stop the temperature fluctuations.
This is a false presumption: in fact, just on economics, the fossil fuel economy is tanking... Serving fewer and fewer except for certain moneyed interests. Climate change problems don't say we should do anything we otherwise shouldn't do anyway.

To be quite honest, we aren't actually at a point of 'stopping' *anything.* The time for that was some time ago. We're talking mitigation, here.

QuoteQuote:
The best course of action is to start learning to adapt and watch out for the wars to come from the displaced people.

Conflict is pretty inevitable. We don't need any more than necessary, though. This is a time for profound cooperation.

Denial.. In either respect, kills. And will kill.

QuoteQuote:
I am in support of smart environmental protection because I don't want to breath stinky air, get cancer from the ground and have my drinking water destroy my liver. I do want a job though.

The moneyed interests have been claiming that devastating the environment and stalling progress would 'save jobs.'

Notice anything about the job situation lately?
03-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

suggestion

to: All who doubt Global Warming, and humanity's contribution thereof, if any
re: putting money where mouth is

Greetings:

If you doubt Global Warming, or doubt that humanity has made any substantial contribution to climate change, please move to the Atlantic coast of Florida. The nearer to the ocean, the better. Thank you.

PS: If you live in Atlantic coastal Florida, and you are concerned about climate change, WHY HAVEN'T YOU MOVED AWAY YET?!?!? It would be prudent, at this juncture.

Ciao.
03-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All this talk of "cycles" ignores all -- all -- the science.

Yes, there are cycles of warming and cooling in the earth's history. And when scientists discuss the evidence for that, they are looking at warming a mere few degrees over tens of thousands of years.

On the contrary, all the current warming is on track in the past 100-200 years. And it has risen faster and higher in that short period - a mere flash in the history of the earth - than ever recorded by any evidence available.

Graph the consumption of fossil fuels and the rise in temperatures and the increase in greenhouse gases and they are all on track - together. The evidence is so indisputable that scientists who, as recently as 10 years ago, formerly denied the evidence are now on the record fully supporting the observed evidence.

There is one and only one source for the skepticism: the fossil fuel industry (oil companies, coal companies) and the people they pay (scientists in their employ or recipients of their 'grants,' politicians and lobbyists). The radio talk show hosts love to propagate this stuff because it just gives them another group for you to hate and ridicule.

Even the very worst climate change models never predicted the speed with which the arctic ice cap is disappearing, the rate of regression of glaciers, the changing desertified regions of the earth. Beijing experienced some wonderful dust storms this week, courtesy of the rapidly expanding Gobi Desert.

Think about the origin of oil and coal: these are the remains of carbon-based plants that flourished during the hot-house years on earth - for millions and millions of years. All those plants, all those millions of years, all that carbon accumulated, then buried and under pressure and heat converted to oil and coal.

Yet, in only 200 years, we have converted massive amounts of that oil and coal back into carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. In 200 years, we have converted millions of years worth of carbon back into atmospheric gas. There is no precedent for this in the history of the earth.

Doubt the ability of man to change the climate? There's evidence in our recent history. The dust bowls of the Great Depression era were caused by the plow destroying the deep rooted prairie grasses of the western / mid-western plains. Yet in only a few years of WPA and CCC projects, along with Ag Dept County Extension agents, the planting of windrows, hedgerows, improved tilling, terracing and rotation of fields brought the dust bowl storms to an end. That's only a small example. And there are others.

Deforestation changes local climate immensely. National or regional changes in weather patterns by the activities of man are well documented. Sub-Saharan Africa. Western China. The Amazon. The evidence is all there for anyone who cares to look.

But you have to care. To look.
03-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #30
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
All this talk of "cycles" ignores all -- all -- the science.

Yes, there are cycles of warming and cooling in the earth's history. And when scientists discuss the evidence for that, they are looking at warming a mere few degrees over tens of thousands of years.

On the contrary, all the current warming is on track in the past 100-200 years. And it has risen faster and higher in that short period - a mere flash in the history of the earth - than ever recorded by any evidence available.

Graph the consumption of fossil fuels and the rise in temperatures and the increase in greenhouse gases and they are all on track - together. The evidence is so indisputable that scientists who, as recently as 10 years ago, formerly denied the evidence are now on the record fully supporting the observed evidence.

There is one and only one source for the skepticism: the fossil fuel industry (oil companies, coal companies) and the people they pay (scientists in their employ or recipients of their 'grants,' politicians and lobbyists). The radio talk show hosts love to propagate this stuff because it just gives them another group for you to hate and ridicule.

Even the very worst climate change models never predicted the speed with which the arctic ice cap is disappearing, the rate of regression of glaciers, the changing desertified regions of the earth. Beijing experienced some wonderful dust storms this week, courtesy of the rapidly expanding Gobi Desert.

Think about the origin of oil and coal: these are the remains of carbon-based plants that flourished during the hot-house years on earth - for millions and millions of years. All those plants, all those millions of years, all that carbon accumulated, then buried and under pressure and heat converted to oil and coal.

Yet, in only 200 years, we have converted massive amounts of that oil and coal back into carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. In 200 years, we have converted millions of years worth of carbon back into atmospheric gas. There is no precedent for this in the history of the earth.

Doubt the ability of man to change the climate? There's evidence in our recent history. The dust bowls of the Great Depression era were caused by the plow destroying the deep rooted prairie grasses of the western / mid-western plains. Yet in only a few years of WPA and CCC projects, along with Ag Dept County Extension agents, the planting of windrows, hedgerows, improved tilling, terracing and rotation of fields brought the dust bowl storms to an end. That's only a small example. And there are others.

Deforestation changes local climate immensely. National or regional changes in weather patterns by the activities of man are well documented. Sub-Saharan Africa. Western China. The Amazon. The evidence is all there for anyone who cares to look.

But you have to care. To look.
Well I do care. I have looked. I fully believe we need to be good stewards of the earth we were put upon. I even practice organic gardening.

I sure would like those super accurate thermometers they used 100-200 years ago. I am so glad they used hokey figures in their formulas too. There are many folks (scientists, climatologists) who touted MMGW that are now on the opposite side. Moreso than have gone the other way.
Closed Thread