Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

LBA Cure a recession

I dont know about you but I have to say that since the recession has hit I have really cured my LBA. I have to say its weird I have money and can afford lens that a year ago if they showed up int he marketplace i would have bought but now I cant pull the trigger. I know that I am covered in all my ranges that I shot so there is no longer that desire, weird but I am actually saving money these days . I do however find myself thinking about buying a netbook in addition to my laptop but can't make the final decision if i need or just want it? man this is a weird feeling is this happening to anyone else out there?

03-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are in a recession but are also having to cope with rising prices which puts an extra damper on LBA. With the uncertanty of the economy, I think all of us are having the need vs want feeling. I would love a macro lens but I get by with ext tubes. I don't have a flash. I have been getting by without it. The way the economy tanked a couple of years ago and the speed at which it happened is still fresh in everybodys mind. Normally at this time of year there should be several threads running about what people plan to buy with their tax refunds. Pretty quiet this year. With fuel prices rising, my gut tells me to buy my heating oil for next winter now instead of camera gear. I'm still undecided.
03-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
tax refunds......?
What the heck is that? Haven't seen one of those (federal) in 3 years.
03-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Since switching to Canon, a really funny thing has happened--my LBA symptoms have decreased significantly. Some will say that it's attributed to the pricing of L-glass, but for me, I think it's due to the fact that I pretty much am content with what I have . I currently have 5 lenses for my 40D and will be going down to 4 once I make the move to FF (no need for the Tamron 17-50, then). I will have the 24-105/4, 70-200/4 IS, 50/1.8 II, and the Tamron 90 macro. Any lens purchases in the foreseeable future will be upgrades to both the 50 and 90.

Of course, there's always going to be lenses that I'll want to try, but that's what rental is for.

On the subject of adding a netbook to a laptop, I've been thinking about doing the same thing, too. I find that sometimes I want even more portability, as well as a place where I can plug in my portable hard drive to offload pics from my memory cards when I'm traveling and can't or don't want to lug my laptop with me. I most likely wouldn't be doing any editing, but at least I could view the pics and delete the bad ones before I get home and actually start editing. If I'm going to do this, it would definitely come after the FF cam and lens upgrades and perhaps an upgrade to a bigger desktop monitor (19"-->24").

Heather

03-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Running through an inheritance fueled, then cured, my LBA. Free money was there; I spent it. When it was gone, I stopped. When the next inheritance comes along, I may restart -- or maybe I'll find some new obsession. I don't have enough gitterns or psalteries, for example. There's this great shop called Lark In The Morning with instruments from every culture imaginable. And unlike lenses, dust doesn't matter.
03-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't really felt the need for any new lenses in almost 2 years, however with Sigma's new models coming out I'm starting to dream again.

However I've bought something like 5 cameras in less than 2 months. The most expensive was only $85.00, so it wasn't too bad.
Plus a B&W darkroom. Again only $50.00, however it might turn out to be worst than LBA after the costs of paper, and chemistry