Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gary , thanks for everything. I hope you'll spend more time as a posting contributer now .
I've allways had a great deal of respect for your no BS ways even when I didn't agree.

03-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
Banned

I guess I haven't been spending too much time here lately, because I didn't know anything about this. heck I didn't even know gary was no longer a moderator. suddenly I feel like im in the dark.
03-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This is a surprise. Well I for one hope this means we'll see more posts from Gary on the forum. I'm sure we all know that being a mod means getting dragged into all sorts of stuff that isn't pleasant. I hope this just means he now has more freedom to use the forum without the baggage that comes with being a mod.

Last edited by SteveM; 03-26-2010 at 08:02 AM.
03-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #19
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Why don't you send Damn Brit a private message and ask him directly, rather than ask Adam to spell it out in public?
Because I might know the answer?

03-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the point of the thread?
03-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #21
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Maybe he just needs a break. With the baby and school and all it must be strenuous. Remember he's not a young man any more. And those kids take a LOT of time. Especially at his advanced age.

Hi Gary!!!

You all just need me as a moderator.
You know that sometimes someone wants to pull something toward the benefit of a community while others like to pull toward themselves. There is nothing wrong with the second option... unless you try to make it look like something different.

I know Gary a little and I know that he is not the type of guy that gives up on something he cares. I feel inclined to think that this "voluntary" break is the consequence to something I think it is wrong.

PS. I think that you would form a good moderation team together with RatMagicLady. The moderation chats should be recorded and youtubed
03-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So the point of the thread?
Because it's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see

You should know that

03-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear this.
03-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

I would volunteer, except I would only give infractions to Republicans and I don't know what I'm taking about when it comes to photography.

Other than that, I'm qualified.
03-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Because it's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see

You should know that
Yes and because you can't see all that matters, stop trying to make this out into something it's not.

If you need to know more, contact Gary directly. He did a great job here for 2 years and decided on his own to move on. We'll miss his active moderation but I hope we still see lots of posts. I bet he'll dump lots of post reports on me
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Hmmmmmmm! Interesting.
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I think that you would form a good moderation team together with RatMagicLady. The moderation chats should be recorded
I'd buy that for a dollar!
03-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Just curious, how many of you have ever tried moderating a busy internet forum. I've done it, I moderated and been head mod of what was a 100k posts/month gaming forum for 5 years or so. Full of stroppy teenage kewld00d gamers, and trust me it's a REALLY REALLY thankless, tireless, exhausting task... one that any rational person will want to take a break from. Me, I eventually bailed out because I found that was starting to care too much, taking on too many responsibilities, doing too much in too little time leading to, in retrospect, inevitable mistakes.

Now I've had my own modding run-ins with Gary as a mod but I recognised them for what they were. We're all human and we're all imperfect, myself included. I don't know the circumstances here and I don't really want to know. But if he's decided to relinquish his modding, then surely that's nothing but a good thing for him - more time to take shots, no more stress with users... it's all good. And, he's a funny guy, I bet we'll see that wicked sense of humour come back in spades .
03-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I would volunteer, except I would only I don't know what I'm taking about when it comes to photography.
That part doesn't mater.

I could make a LONG list of what makes a good moderator, however they don't need to have a clue when it comes to the main subject to do a good job.

I couldn't do the job, for long anyways.
03-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I wonder why such a satisfactory collaboration and gratitude can end up in an unidirectional invitation to leave. Disagreements are first and consequences follow. I just wonder about the nature of the disagreements. Nothing like explaining the chain of events to let the people form their opinions instead that the typical "spokeperson" reply. If there is nothing to hide then let us not hide anything.
It's not our business, and there is no reason for Adam to tell you anything.

Moderating the general public is not something I'd want to do, and certainly not some of the posters in this forum. Maybe Gary just decided to do more elsewhere - and good for him, or he got the boot - and good for him.